HiFiMan Susvara
Jul 5, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #9,826 of 26,706
I have been experimenting with the flaps. For me, the wow factor of the Sr1a is in stage, speaker-like imaging and speed more than anything else, so I still like it the most with the flaps open, lol! Of course, ymmv.

Closing the flaps doesn’t necessarily give me the sort of bass I like. My Accuphase Bass EQ, however, helps more in that regard.

Yea, I find about halfway open is the best balance of sound. All of the way out definitely gives up a bit of body and bass. All the way in pretty much cancels out the point of owning them soundstage/wow factor wise. About half way is a great balance. I almost never move the flaps from there.

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #9,827 of 26,706
One of my go-to artists for testing male vocals is Chris Cornell. I have been a fan of the Seattle Grunge scene ever since it became one, in the 90s, and followed Cornell’s work since his Temple of the Dog Days.

A/B-ing between the Susvara and the Raal SR1a, on Chris Cornell's track "Call me a Dog" from the "Songbook" Album, the Susvara is still a far superior performer, to me.

CCSongbook.jpeg

Cornell's vocals on the Susvara are far more emotional and just on a different level of emotional engagement compared to the SR1a. Have tried it with the flaps close to me, far from me, and various positions in between.

Of course, your mileage may vary. The album is worth a listen if you like alternative / grunge.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #9,828 of 26,706
Yea, I find about halfway open is the best balance of sound. All of the way out definitely gives up a bit of body and bass. All the way in pretty much cancels out the point of owning them soundstage/wow factor wise. About half way is a great balance. I almost never move the flaps from there.
I might have a funny hearing, since the wow factor for me is when the flaps is only very slightly open 😁 Granted, this way the soundstage is about the same size as Susvara but the tonality, imaging and separation is really out of this world.

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #9,829 of 26,706
Susvara arrived, a loaner unit (burned in), have it for a week or two to compare against AB-1266, Utopia and Valkyria. Today out of dCS Bartok - I know, underpowered for the task, but worry not - Viva Egoista 845 is en route.

Attachments

• photo_2021-07-06 19.26.57.jpeg
    photo_2021-07-06 19.26.57.jpeg
    264.3 KB · Views: 0
Jul 6, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #9,830 of 26,706
Thanks for the answer!
I did try the stock 4 pin Susvara stock cable but it was not to my liking
Can you please tell me what changes in sound were produced by both cables on Susvara? You talked about Nirvana. How does it sound different from Reference? And what makes them different from the stock cable so that I have a reporting point. Thank you!

Tell me more, from which conductor is Lazuli Reference made? Is this a copper litz? Or a mixture of copper and silver?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #9,832 of 26,706
I’m using DHC Complement C
Thanks for the answer! Can you give a link to the site for this cable and are there any reviews on it? As you can imagine, I am far from you, and this is the first time I am considering a headphone cable outside my country. Until that time I ordered from our masters in Moscow, but now I decided to consider foreign analogues. I will be grateful!

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #9,835 of 26,706
Do you mean ear pads? If so, I didn't know Susvara sells ear pads ...
Dekoni sells aftermarket pads for the Susvara. Some users have the fenestrated sheepskin version.
https://dekoniaudio.com/product/elite-fenestrated-sheepskin-ear-pads-for-hifiman-susvara-headphones/

Many here are purists and stay away from EQ, but personally I would explore EQ before pads and cables. If you have the right software it costs nothing to try it.

O, and a hint: you can reply to various posts in one message. Just hit reply on all the posts you want to reply to, and add your responses below each. Give it a try! :)

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #9,836 of 26,706
O, and a hint: you can reply to various posts in one message. Just hit reply on all the posts you want to reply to, and add your responses below each. Give it a try! :)
I apologize if this caused any inconvenience!
Many here are purists and stay away from EQ, but personally I would explore EQ before pads and cables. If you have the right software it costs nothing to try it.
I am using Roon with Tidal. So far I have set the following settings:

2021-07-06_23-56-35.jpg

But as you rightly pointed out, some of us don't like to use EQ. I'm one of them)

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #9,837 of 26,706
wow, the ghetto power of how these cables look and feel are powerful.
I'm also a little underwhelmed by the look of the headphones too. They feel a bit cheap. The fake wood isn't helping. (come on, use real wood or don't put it there.)
Of course how it sounds is the most important. I'm going to break it in before giving it a try.
(ideally i'd like my woo WA5 and new headphone cable too.)

hopefully tonight i'll hit my "new hardware" all-over-the-place playlist:
https://open.qobuz.com/playlist/6436489

non-glamorous pix as it burns in:
1625599167509.png

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #9,838 of 26,706
I'm also a little underwhelmed by the look of the headphones too. They feel a bit cheap. The fake wood isn't helping. (come on, use real wood or don't put it there.)
Of course how it sounds is the most important. I'm going to break it in before giving it a try.

1625599167509.png

Hope you enjoy their sound :)

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #9,839 of 26,706
Thanks for the answer! Can you give a link to the site for this cable and are there any reviews on it? As you can imagine, I am far from you, and this is the first time I am considering a headphone cable outside my country. Until that time I ordered from our masters in Moscow, but now I decided to consider foreign analogues. I will be grateful!
Double helix cables - links, I have exactly the same cable (but for my AB-1266 from them, review pending). Another option would getting a cable from Lavricables (I wrote a review about them here), if you think buying from Latvia is easier for you than from the states.

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #9,840 of 26,706

hopefully tonight i'll hit my "new hardware" all-over-the-place playlist:
https://open.qobuz.com/playlist/6436489

1625599167509.png
The Wavedream simply looks beautiful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back