HiFiMan Susvara
Jul 3, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #9,781 of 25,887
Do they make a pure silver cable like the one from Norne?

What other cables did you compare it to other than the stock?

The seller is lunashops.com they also have pure silver for lower price.

I compare to hifiman crystalline, Invictus pure silver, Forza Noir Hybrid, Mavismodz UPOCC.
It's the best followed by the Forza Noir Hybrid.

Jul 3, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #9,782 of 25,887
Be very careful with cables from China, Aliexpress in particular. Lots, and LOTS of fakes, AND misrepresentation. "Silver cables" which are simply the cheapest copper cables with silver paint on the wires, fake connectors, knock off connectors, all sorts of fake wire combinations.

There is a market in Shenzen that you can buy a 99% accurate copy of any audio connector. They look the part to the point where the accuracy is incredible, but are made with the cheapest materials (fake rhodium plating etc.)

Brands that are copied in huge amounts. Nordost, Tara Labs, Accuphase, Audioquest, Crystal Cable, Wireworld, Furutech, Siltech etc...It never ends.

If its a brand name cable on Aliexpress - there is a 99% chance it is fake.

I don't know if the LunaShops stuff is real or fake. They seem to use Neutrik connectors for XLR's, so it would be interesting to see a breakdown of one of their cables and the wire quality/content and also if the Neutriks are the fake ones or genuine.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #9,783 of 25,887
I did not like them the first two tries..
Third try, but this time plus EQ, and I like it a lot. For me, the Raal is unlistenable without EQ.
I love them without EQ,go figure how subjective it all is

Jul 4, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #9,784 of 25,887
So, I have a stupid question.
I see a lot of people using stand with the Susvara and having it rest on the head band. I am in fact using a simple desk hook and use the aluminum part to hold it.
I thought it would save the head band and clamp force over time.
Am I doing something wrong? :)
DSC04395.jpg

Jul 4, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #9,785 of 25,887
I see a lot of people using stand with the Susvara and having it rest on the head band. I am in fact using a simple desk hook and use the aluminum part to hold it.
DSC04395.jpg

I think resting it on the leather band won't affect the clamp force since it is just a support and the leather seems sturdy with no stretch possible, and all the clamping is done by the metal piece above it. I just prefer not to have the metal scuffed..

Jul 4, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #9,786 of 25,887
DSC04395.jpg
I rest my headphones on my stand on the metal

so maybe less strain on leather - no idea if there is an effect on the leather but i would guess no effect for using the metal part

Jul 4, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #9,787 of 25,887
I love them without EQ,go figure how subjective it all is
Questions of personal preferences aside, the SQ of the source recording is the determinant of whether I invoke LOKI or not.

Jul 4, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #9,788 of 25,887
I think resting it on the leather band won't affect the clamp force since it is just a support and the leather seems sturdy with no stretch possible, and all the clamping is done by the metal piece above it. I just prefer not to have the metal scuffed..
Just cut and lay a length of some electrical tape (smooth and shiny or cloth and at least the width of the bracket) of your choice the length of the arm. No scuffing allowed.

I use 3M double sided mounting tape, of course remove one side only, it provides a little padding to go along with the anti-scuff. You can probably get at any hardware type store, maybe even supermarket. 3/4 inch works fine.

1625392399403.png

1625392672889.png

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #9,789 of 25,887
Be very careful with cables from China, Aliexpress in particular. Lots, and LOTS of fakes, AND misrepresentation. "Silver cables" which are simply the cheapest copper cables with silver paint on the wires, fake connectors, knock off connectors, all sorts of fake wire combinations.

There is a market in Shenzen that you can buy a 99% accurate copy of any audio connector. They look the part to the point where the accuracy is incredible, but are made with the cheapest materials (fake rhodium plating etc.)

Brands that are copied in huge amounts. Nordost, Tara Labs, Accuphase, Audioquest, Crystal Cable, Wireworld, Furutech, Siltech etc...It never ends.

If its a brand name cable on Aliexpress - there is a 99% chance it is fake.

I don't know if the LunaShops stuff is real or fake. They seem to use Neutrik connectors for XLR's, so it would be interesting to see a breakdown of one of their cables and the wire quality/content and also if the Neutriks are the fake ones or genuine.
Lunashops don't fake any brand they have their own brand.

Jul 4, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #9,790 of 25,887
Just cut and lay a length of some electrical tape (smooth and shiny or cloth and at least the width of the bracket) of your choice the length of the arm. No scuffing allowed.

I use 3M double sided mounting tape, of course remove one side only, it provides a little padding to go along with the anti-scuff. You can probably get at any hardware type store, maybe even supermarket. 3/4 inch works fine.

I happily use these attached to my ikea billy bookcase shelf

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1107611-REG/auray_cohh_1_headphone_holder_with_padded.html

1625393064300.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #9,791 of 25,887
Stretching of the Susvara's leather head strap is indeed quite possible. For your edification, I'll repost a photo of the one I just replaced (at bottom). Considering the cost and effort to replace the head strap (detailed several pages back), I would opt to hang my Susvara from the metal band, possible scuffing notwithstanding. As it is, I simply lay it down as I don't have a compelling need or desire for a stand at the moment.

Attachments

• 20210623_142538.jpg
    20210623_142538.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Jul 4, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #9,792 of 25,887
Thanks for the pic. That's a good point. To clarify, I meant, the susvara leather does not permit stretching in a "made to be stretchable" sense, rather than stretching from wear and tear.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #9,793 of 25,887
Thanks for the pic. That's a good point. To clarify, I meant, the susvara leather does not permit stretching in a "made to be stretchable" sense, rather than stretching from wear and tear.

Although our local pair's leather bit isn't much wider than it was originally, there's some difference.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 4, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #9,794 of 25,887
Lunashops don't fake any brand they have their own brand.

Yes I know that. It doesn't mean that they aren't using fake connectors, knock off connectors, misrepresenting their wire's used and their content.

It really is hard to state how prolific and problematic the fake/knock off situation has become in china. They are so accurate and look so real that beyond personally breaking down the product, and perhaps even sending the pieces to the real manufacturers, you won't know if it is real or fake.

Given LunaShops pricing, and their manufacturing location (Guangzhou) I am seriously cautious about their products. Not that they won't work, they will work just fine, but things like their Neutrik connectors may not be genuine. They themselves may not even know if they are fake, that is how bad the fake/knock off situation has become.

Jul 4, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #9,795 of 25,887
Got my Fluxlabs FA-10 a few days ago. This amp is freaking impressive. The Susvara now sounds indeed way better than with my THX 887 (even though it sounds actually quite decent with the 887. Better than with the Chord Hugo TT2 and way better than with the Violectric V200).

The biggest difference is that the Susvara now doesn't sound anymore at all. It's like it completely lost any coloration and the headphone disappears. Never had that with a headphone before.

The amp also kicked my HE560, HD250 and partly the HD650 on a new level. Some other headphones like the HE1000SE don't really seem to profit from the power increase like you'd expect. I prefer the HE560 and the HD650 over the 1000SE now. I think if the 1000SE would be half it's price it would be a bit more appropriate. It stays a good endgame headphone for mobile use but on a beefy amp i think the HE560 comes closer to the Susvara than the 1000SE. The 560 is a level below when it comes to technicalities but has a freaking impressive timbre for a planar that is for my taste more Susvara like than the newer Hifiman models. It almost needs as much power as the Susvara too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back