HiFiMan Susvara
May 5, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #8,461 of 26,687
May 5, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #8,462 of 26,687
Yeah, the GSX Mini drives it well, as does my AK Kann Alpha. There is something about the Pass combo which enhances the R10P's clarity, however.

In terms of comparison with the Susvara, the presentations are quite different, I would say.
  1. The Susvara has clearly more air around instruments while the R10P has substantially better slam, punch, and more bass energy. The R10P has a darker presentation, overall.
  2. I would say the Susvara mids are relatively linear, while the R10P appears to have a bit more energy in the 500-2K range, which gives it a more forward presentation.
  3. The Susvara treble presentation is more polite. The R10P has a peak somewhere around 6-7K, to my ears, which didn't bother me, but one of my audiophile friends felt it. I personally thought it added a nice edge to drum hits.
  4. Technically, the Susvara has more micro details and a wider sound stage, but the R10P has a pretty impressive SS presentation given it's a closed-back. This cup design is clearly paying off.
Overall, the reason why the R10P stands out to me is that it's more technically capable than other closed-backs in the market, in my opinion, but I am going by memory here.

The other reason it stands out is that Hifiman has really tried to give it a lot of "excursive power" so that works quite well, if you have a Susvara already, and want something less polite, when you listen to electronica, rock, etc. That has been my use case, at least.

Assuming that you could have only one pair, which one would you pick?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 5, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #8,463 of 26,687
Only first impressions, I should probably add some more now after a few months of usage.
I also should finally use the "ultra wide pads" and compare them.

Post in thread 'T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic' https://www.head-fi.org/threads/t-a-solitaire-p-planar-magnetostatic.924381/post-16173586
Definitly you should give us more, especially after some time you spend with them, if they change and in what aspects. I really liked them only one thing which is softness in the sound, which I fill like some kind of veil in between ears and headphones. I don’t know if this disappears with time.

May 5, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #8,465 of 26,687
Nope. But would like to know more. How do you like it? I haven't also heard the T+A Solitaire P, and also curious about that one.
D9200: At least as closed backs with good sound isolation, portability and weight, they are my favorites, and they replaced my Stellia. Slight U shape with some elevated treble, but not as much as TH900.

Solitaire P: At the end of my compare/review, I added a list of other reviews for Solitaire P, if you want to take a look: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/t-a-solitaire-p.24843/

Now that my P-SE is gone (to another room inside our home), I decided to add the HEKse next to the Solitaire P. I expect it to be a good pairing with Shanling M30, and that it is lighter than Solitaire P, will give me an option to enjoy the music when P feels heavy and I don't need the grand bass of the P.

May 5, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #8,466 of 26,687
softness in the sound, which I fill like some kind of veil in between ears and headphones. I don’t know if this disappears with time.
It does not, but one gets used to it. After spending a long while with them that becomes normal. I sold my D8000 Pro (actually mainly due to weight), as they felt a bit closer than the "right distance" I got used to. And when you really think about it, that is similar to listening to speakers than HPs.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #8,467 of 26,687
It does not, but one gets used to it. After spending a long while with them that becomes normal. I sold my D8000 Pro (actually mainly due to weight), as they felt a bit closer than the "right distance" I got used to. And when you really think about that is similar to listening to speakers than HPs.
I agree, weight can make you hate a top tier HP, that can destroy the engagement and joy. I love D8000 Pro so far but weight distribution is so bad...

May 5, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #8,468 of 26,687
I agree, weight can make you hate a top tier HP, that can destroy the engagement and joy. I love D8000 Pro so far but weight distribution is so bad...
Actually, if Solitaire P was lighter I might have kept the D8K but they are about the same weight and I definitely want one HP that is lighter. And I dont get how people get used to >700g HPs. I even find the headband design of D8K better than Solitaire P, as the top of my head is larger. Being able to tilt the headband back and forth is really cool. But P has more comfortable cups. So you can choose between more comfortable headband or more comfortable cups.

May 5, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #8,469 of 26,687
Horrible headband design awaits...

1620216195658.png

May 5, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #8,470 of 26,687
will give me an option to enjoy the music when P feels heavy and I don't need the grand bass of the P.
As if that ever happens, you always need the grand Bass of the P :wink:

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #8,471 of 26,687
May 5, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #8,473 of 26,687
Horrible headband design awaits...

Ah, the Phi. Sold my V2. Wasn’t comfortable for me
Fix'd that Statement for you.

They might sound great, buz imho they are certainly not nice to look at
I didn’t like the tuning of the V2 either. The mids were recessed on it as well. So the vocals became a hit or miss thing, among other quirks. Our friend at Headphones dot com, Andrew, covers this tuning issue well in a recent live stream.

But of course, plenty of people may like it, so that’s cool. Subjective as this hobby is.

That said, that said, I did like how the V2 looks, funnily enough!

B0173511-736D-4DC7-979C-A2C9731FCE59.jpeg

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #8,474 of 26,687
True, that! I feel like I'm choosing my music so that I can hear the bass of Solitaire P. It is magical, really.
Yeah especially when I didn't listen to any music for a few days I'm always wow'ed again.

I'd hope someone with a LCD-4 could compare the Bass directly in an A/B and give his Feedback

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #8,475 of 26,687
Yeah, the GSX Mini drives it well, as does my AK Kann Alpha. There is something about the Pass combo which enhances the R10P's clarity, however.

In terms of comparison with the Susvara, the presentations are quite different, I would say.
  1. The Susvara has clearly more air around instruments while the R10P has substantially better slam, punch, and more bass energy. The R10P has a darker presentation, overall.
  2. I would say the Susvara mids are relatively linear, while the R10P appears to have a bit more energy in the 500-2K range, which gives it a more forward presentation.
  3. The Susvara treble presentation is more polite. The R10P has a peak somewhere around 6-7K, to my ears, which didn't bother me, but one of my audiophile friends felt it. I personally thought it added a nice edge to drum hits.
  4. Technically, the Susvara has more micro details and a wider sound stage, but the R10P has a pretty impressive SS presentation given it's a closed-back. This cup design is clearly paying off.
Overall, the reason why the R10P stands out to me is that it's more technically capable than other closed-backs in the market, in my opinion, but I am going by memory here.

The other reason it stands out is that Hifiman has really tried to give it a lot of "excursive power" so that works quite well, if you have a Susvara already, and want something less polite, when you listen to electronica, rock, etc. That has been my use case, at least.

Excellent information @sajid! Only thing that I don't get is why your Accuphase isn't a good match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back