HiFiMan Susvara
May 4, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #8,447 of 26,687
No, not tried the Susvara with the GSX Mini. Will do that soon, so what speaker amp. would work well with them ?

As I’m about to go with the Chord Hugo TT2, what about the Chord TToby ?

May 4, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #8,448 of 26,687
Just had email confirmation from the Courier (DPD) that my EF1000 amp will arrive at my UK base tomorrow from my local UK Hifiman Dealer ! :ksc75smile: :)

May 4, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #8,449 of 26,687
Just had email confirmation from the Courier (DPD) that my EF1000 amp will arrive at my UK base tomorrow from my local UK Hifiman Dealer ! :ksc75smile: :)
Aww yeah, good times ahead

May 4, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #8,450 of 26,687
No, not tried the Susvara with the GSX Mini. Will do that soon, so what speaker amp. would work well with them ?

i know quite a few people that are using the Benchmark AHB2. I prefer that amp pairing with Susvara over the HK770 and Ragnarok 1.

May 4, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #8,451 of 26,687
May 4, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #8,454 of 26,687
Very early impressions: Hifiman R10 Planar

1. Very easy to drive but may be amplifier-picky, nonetheless.

2. It sounds unbelievably better on my Pass Labs amplifier than on my otherwise, irreproachable, Accuphase e380.

3. Macro dynamics absolutely class-leading. I haven’t heard this level of slam and punch on any headphone, barring the 1266 Phi TC! Will A/B with the 1266 Phi TC soon, to confirm.

4. Bass is fantastic. Its low, it rumbles, and it’s textured.

5. Imaging is class-leading.

6. Female vocals sound gorgeous. I was stunned even when A/B-ing with the Susvara.

7. Male vocals sound good, but need to test with a larger variety of vocals, from the baritone to the soprano voice.

8. Comfort and ergonomics top notch.

Summary: This is a bloody good headphone!

Disclaimer: All these impressions are based on the Pass Labs pairing and not the Accuphase pairing.

E624B00A-19A0-48CA-9FA9-2D283A9B0760.jpeg
D3CAAC24-636A-4907-8D95-AAC8878298C1.jpeg

That's really really good to hear. All of a sudden I'm finding myself in need of a closed pair due to changes at my at home office. These are really interesting and may end up trying them. I still have the GSX Mini around so I'd probably hope they'd pair well with it. One question, is the tonal balance somewhat similar to the Susvara?

May 4, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #8,455 of 26,687

I used Chord DAVE to TToby and connected Susvara to speaker jacks and it was a fantastic sound and obviously way more power than is needed. I traded the TToby towards a Bakoon 13R since I wanted to use both Susvara and speakers without changing the connections. Bakoon sounds better than the TToby did but both are excellent.

May 5, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #8,456 of 26,687
That's really really good to hear. All of a sudden I'm finding myself in need of a closed pair due to changes at my at home office. These are really interesting and may end up trying them. I still have the GSX Mini around so I'd probably hope they'd pair well with it. One question, is the tonal balance somewhat similar to the Susvara?
Yeah, the GSX Mini drives it well, as does my AK Kann Alpha. There is something about the Pass combo which enhances the R10P's clarity, however.

In terms of comparison with the Susvara, the presentations are quite different, I would say.
  1. The Susvara has clearly more air around instruments while the R10P has substantially better slam, punch, and more bass energy. The R10P has a darker presentation, overall.
  2. I would say the Susvara mids are relatively linear, while the R10P appears to have a bit more energy in the 500-2K range, which gives it a more forward presentation.
  3. The Susvara treble presentation is more polite. The R10P has a peak somewhere around 6-7K, to my ears, which didn't bother me, but one of my audiophile friends felt it. I personally thought it added a nice edge to drum hits.
  4. Technically, the Susvara has more micro details and a wider sound stage, but the R10P has a pretty impressive SS presentation given it's a closed-back. This cup design is clearly paying off.
Overall, the reason why the R10P stands out to me is that it's more technically capable than other closed-backs in the market, in my opinion, but I am going by memory here.

The other reason it stands out is that Hifiman has really tried to give it a lot of "excursive power" so that works quite well, if you have a Susvara already, and want something less polite, when you listen to electronica, rock, etc. That has been my use case, at least.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #8,457 of 26,687
Yeah, the GSX Mini or my AK Kann Alpha drives it well. There is something about the Pass combo which enhances the R10P's clarity, however.

In terms of comparison with the Susvara, the presentations are quite different, I would say.
  1. The Susvara has clearly more air around instruments while the R10P has substantially better slam, punch, and more bass energy. The R10P has a darker presentation, overall.
  2. I would say the Susvara mids are relatively linear, while the R10P appears to have a bit more energy between 500-2K range, which gives it a more forward presentation.
  3. The Susvara treble presentation is more polite. The R10P has a peak somewhere around 6-7K, to my ears, which didn't bother me, but one of my audiophile friends felt it. I personally thought it added a nice edge to drum hits.
  4. Technically, the Susvara has more micro details and a wider sound stage, but the R10P has a pretty impressive SS presentation given it's a closed-back. This cup design is clearly paying off.
Overall, the reason why the R10P stands out to me is that it's more technically capable than other closed-backs in the market, in my opinion, but I am going by memory here.

The other reason it stands out is that Hifiman has really tried to give it a lot of "excursive power" so that works quite well, if you have a Susvara already, and want something less polite, when you listen to electronica, rock, etc. That has been my use case, at least.

Do you have and / or have you ever heard the D9200? Of course, the next question is (except the obvious treble difference) if you can say a few words about the comparison.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #8,459 of 26,687
Nope. But would like to know more. How do you like it? I haven't also heard the T+A Solitaire P, and also curious about that one.
T+A Solitaire P should be your next focus.
I love mine and am really interested what you'd think about it, especially from your pass Labs combo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back