HiFiMan Susvara
Apr 23, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #8,221 of 25,601
Does anyone in the LA area have the Bakoon and Susvara that might be open to letting a vaccinated audiophile have a listen?? :)
I'm very interested in hearing this combo as well. Also in SoCal and my second shot is less than two weeks away. :beerchug:

Apr 23, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #8,223 of 25,601
@littlej0e sees sounds also. I'm curious as to what he thinks about this album

*experimental metal maybe? :thinking:

But yeah, the official metal encyclopedia site agrees with your assessment:

https://forum.metal-archives.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40128&view=next

This is GREAT!!! I discovered that retro 80's music does a number on my brain and this synth-y rock/metal does something similar. It's like some sort of dream rock or metal.

• Track 1 - No real colors other than the moonlight as I'm walking through an old, dark castle at night. The stones on the wall are old, smooth, and wet and I can smell the rain in the air.
  • Track 2 - No physicals, but I see lots of white clouds and orange triangles floating in them (What?!?).
  • Track 3 - I see a long dark haired drummer without a face in a grey room alone on a circular platform that slowly rises from the ground and turns in a circle as he plays. He keeps rising and rising until I can hear the echoes of the drums above me as he continues to rise.
  • Track 4 - I see a beautiful neon red and green sunrise as I float higher and higher out of my chair. It feels like an abrupt release of living energy.
  • Track 5 - The band is playing in a dingy sewer with water pipes dripping everywhere. I can hear the sounds reverberating and echoing up and down the cisterns. Feels like I very slowly rise out of my chair and float above them as they play. I swear I can smell the water and seaweed.
  • Track 6 - I see a lot of blacks and whites in a grid like I'm riding something in a super old school Atari video game. Feels like I'm flying through it and getting jerked left, right, back, and forward. Almost fell out of my chair with this one.
  • Track 7 - I see each of the instruments being played in different apartments in a long hallway. I float room to room at different points in the song. Of particular note, in one of the apartments I see an old Japanese man very calmly playing some sort of room-sized electronic harp instrument with lots of red/pink and white colors flying away from it as he plucks the strings. The strings don't seem to be attached to anything and go right through the ceiling.
  • Track 8 - A man with no face and long white hair is gripping a 50's-style microphone wearing an orange suite with a white dress shirt underneath. The stage light from above is a dim, lite neon blue. I fly around the stage to each instrument and they are all floating in place with no physical person playing them, but are still moving as if someone is. This track is a trip!

The drums are friggin' amazing on this album. They sound so good, tight, and incredibly well imaged.

That's enough for me tonight. Need a break. Whew...

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #8,224 of 25,601
This is GREAT!!! I discovered that retro 80's music does a number on my brain and this synth-y rock/metal does something similar. It's like some sort of dream rock or metal.

• Track 1 - No real colors other than the moonlight as I'm walking through an old, dark castle at night. The stones on the wall are old, smooth, and wet and I can smell the rain in the air.
  • Track 2 - No physicals, but I see lots of white clouds and orange triangles floating in them (What?!?).
  • Track 3 - I see a long dark haired drummer without a face in a grey room alone on a circular platform that slowly rises from the ground and turns in a circle as he plays. He keeps rising and rising until I can hear the echoes of the drums above me as he continues to rise.
  • Track 4 - I see a beautiful neon red and green sunrise as I float higher and higher out of my chair. It feels like an abrupt release of living energy.
  • Track 5 - The band is playing in a dingy sewer with water pipes dripping everywhere. I can hear the sounds reverberating and echoing up and down the cisterns. Feels like I very slowly rise out of my chair and float above them as they play. I swear I can smell the water and seaweed.
  • Track 6 - I see a lot of blacks and whites in a grid like I'm riding something in a super old school Atari video game. Feels like I'm flying through it and getting jerked left, right, back, and forward. Almost fell out of my chair with this one.
  • Track 7 - I see each of the instruments being played in different apartments in a long hallway. I float room to room at different points in the song. Of particular note, in one of the apartments I see an old Japanese man very calmly playing some sort of room-sized electronic harp instrument with lots of red/pink and white colors flying away from it as he plucks the strings. The strings don't seem to be attached to anything and go right through the ceiling.
  • Track 8 - A man with no face and long white hair is gripping a 50's-style microphone wearing an orange suite with a white dress shirt underneath. The stage light from above is a dim, lite neon blue. I fly around the stage to each instrument and they are all floating in place with no physical person playing them, but are still moving as if someone is. This track is a trip!

The drums are friggin' amazing on this album. They sound so good, tight, and incredibly well imaged.

I love your descriptions! That’s a great way to describe seeing the music and explaining what it does to your senses. You should write album reviews. For real :beerchug:

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #8,226 of 25,601
Buying a Susvara asap. Selling all my gear basically and jumping in the deep end. Any suggestions on amps?
What do you choose?
1280px-Red_and_blue_pill.jpg

Because you can go way down the rabbit hole with one choice. Strong opinions about what constitutes the best amp for the Susvaras has been discussed thoroughly, with conflicting reports. Long story short, you either join the speaker amp camp or the headphone amp camp.

Apr 24, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #8,227 of 25,601
What do you choose?

Because you can go way down the rabbit hole with one choice. Strong opinions about whst constitutes the best amp for the Susvaras has been discussed thoroughly. Long story short, you either join the speaker amp camp or the headphone amp camp.
Speaker amp camp for me :)

Apr 24, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #8,228 of 25,601
Apr 24, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #8,229 of 25,601
Benchmark AHB2 is another good speaker amp to add to your list. I know a couple people using them with susvara with amazing results

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #8,230 of 25,601

Nice job of describing sounds that you are seeing. I wouldn't say I can "see" sounds although the music itself evokes certain moods as well as visions of certain types of environments - nature in many forms, the city, the sky - both day and night, outer space, under water, a night club, a small enclosed room, a battlefield, etc. I also imagine different time periods as well as places. Sometimes it can be a distant past and sometimes it can be a distant future. This album evokes surreal moods and of places and times that are mixed in a dynamic swirl.

I'm on Track 6 now and this is a sonically intense album. The imaging of the drums is really great. Even with everything else going on, it's the drums that really stand out - both playing-wise and in terms of production.

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #8,231 of 25,601
Apr 24, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #8,232 of 25,601
Ok, then this Pass Labs pre and amp combo is well regarded on here:

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/pass-labs-xp-12-preamplifier-and-xa25-amplifier-1

Recently @Orlok has had success with the TToby and others have been using the Etude.

Full disclosure: I’m currently in the headphone amp camp, and haven’t tried any of those speaker amps
The Bakoon Amp-13R gets a lot of props here. I remain very intrigued by this one. It seems that this amp can do both - HP on the front and speaker taps on the back. I also love its form factor. The Luxman P-750u is also very highly regarded. I really wish I could have tried the Susvara with the TToby. I only got to try it with the TT2's SE HP output.

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #8,233 of 25,601
What do you choose?

Because you can go way down the rabbit hole with one choice. Strong opinions about what constitutes the best amp for the Susvaras has been discussed thoroughly, with conflicting reports. Long story short, you either join the speaker amp camp or the headphone amp camp.
Or both :ksc75smile:

Apr 24, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #8,234 of 25,601
Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #8,235 of 25,601

Users who are viewing this thread

Back