HiFiMan Susvara
Feb 12, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #6,706 of 25,599
@smodtactical now that you've had a taste of Susvara on speaker amp, care to share your thoughts?

Still listening and plan on doing a more extensive write up... but thus far I would describe Susvara as seductive and beautiful. It has just the most incredible timbre I have ever heard in a headphone and incredible microdetail extraction, lightening fast speed and dynamics yet while being as liquid as agave. Fantastic bass extension and impact that to my ears in my chain was not far off AT ALL from the abyss tc. Its truly exceptional. I prefer it to the TC which while also excellent I found too cold and strident in the treble and very awkward in terms of ergonomics (and overly heavy and uncomfortable even after 30 mins).

Feb 12, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #6,707 of 25,599
as an owner of the TC and the susvara I do find it finny when a person speaks of one or the other as significantly better than the other..they are different for sure and yes the abyss is more awkward and tougher to set up properly but for me whichever one I am listening to at the moment is the best to me...

Feb 12, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #6,708 of 25,599
as an owner of the TC and the susvara I do find it finny when a person speaks of one or the other as significantly better than the other..they are different for sure and yes the abyss is more awkward and tougher to set up properly but for me whichever one I am listening to at the moment is the best to me...
Do you agree that TC is more resolving than Susvara?

Feb 13, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #6,709 of 25,599

Different ears, different chains. There are a lot of variables so different impressions not very surprising to me.

And susvara for *ME* is FAR FAR superior in terms of ergonomics and comfort... for that reason alone I would disqualify TC.

Feb 13, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #6,710 of 25,599

+1... have to agree. Same with it, the Abyss and 009 for me. It's one thing to try one or the other at different times or listening to them each for a few days or few weeks together before choosing one to keep.. but owning them together long term is just extremely different and really puts this in perspective. Although I know which I prefer most, each of them are right there at the top.. and mood/genre/preference definitely matters so much.

Do you agree that TC is more resolving than Susvara?

Yes, imo the TC is slightly more resolving and has a bit more of a surreal/holographic factor to it. That said, it also sounds more distant and the mids are very, very slightly recessed compared to the Susvara/009. For most people, I would venture to guess that the Susvara is the best all rounder. I prefer the 009 overall, but the Susvara definitely has most of the same qualities I love from either the TC or 009, just incredibly balanced.

Different ears, different chains. There are a lot of variables so different impressions not very surprising to me.

And susvara for *ME* is FAR FAR superior in terms of ergonomics and comfort... for that reason alone I would disqualify TC.

Definitely, the comfort with the TC sucks lol. There's no other way to put it lol. I do find it interesting though that the TC's discomfort + the Susvara's extreme comfort probably contributes to people's perspectives comparing the two more than the actual sound signatures lol. (edit - I get it, it's just interesting :) )

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #6,711 of 25,599
On my setup Susvara just sound boring, they don't have that "WOW" efect like HE1000se have.
At least i don't have to buy them lol!
1266 TC is still my TOTL HP.

Feb 13, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #6,712 of 25,599
I sent my fenestrated sheepskin back for an exchange because one of them was very poorly glued on and barely hanging on in one spot. The other pad was perfect. They offered to exchange them so they're on their way back. I miss them.

Although I have to say when I put the velour ones on, even though my first reaction is that they're kind of boring relative to the fenestrated, after a few tracks I'm impressed at how they make every track sound easy/effortless and I'm never reaching for volume. It's very easy to sink into music with them. These are great pads for anyone with treble sensitivity.

Feb 13, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #6,714 of 25,599
With Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin Susvara don't have that laid back sound signature?
No, they make the Susvara sound a bit more exciting, make them hyper detailed, and expand the soundstage. Personally, I think the bass and sub bass also become more detailed, but less emphasized. It's a real nice contrast to their stock sound. I love them the most out of the three so far.

The velour ones provide the laid back, relaxed, easy sound, which is also great.

It's awesome to be able to tweak a headphone as great as the Susvara to your liking with these. They'll sound amazing with any of the pads, but you can push them toward your preferred sound signature easily.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #6,715 of 25,599
I just love that close sound of HE1000se, more exciting and engaging, Susvara don't have it

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #6,716 of 25,599
I just love that close sound of HE1000se, more exciting and engaging, Susvara don't have it
Try the fenestrated ones, I'm tellin ya.

Feb 13, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #6,717 of 25,599
On my setup Susvara just sound boring, they don't have that "WOW" efect like HE1000se have.
Upgrade your amp from the GSX Mini to a more powerful amp then you won't be saying the Susvara's are boring !

Feb 13, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #6,718 of 25,599
+1... have to agree. Same with it, the Abyss and 009 for me. It's one thing to try one or the other at different times or listening to them each for a few days or few weeks together before choosing one to keep.. but owning them together long term is just extremely different and really puts this in perspective. Although I know which I prefer most, each of them are right there at the top.. and mood/genre/preference definitely matters so much.

Yes, imo the TC is slightly more resolving and has a bit more of a surreal/holographic factor to it. That said, it also sounds more distant and the mids are very, very slightly recessed compared to the Susvara/009. For most people, I would venture to guess that the Susvara is the best all rounder. I prefer the 009 overall, but the Susvara definitely has most of the same qualities I love from either the TC or 009, just incredibly balanced.

Definitely, the comfort with the TC sucks lol. There's no other way to put it lol. I do find it interesting though that the TC's discomfort + the Susvara's extreme comfort probably contributes to people's perspectives comparing the two more than the actual sound signatures lol. (edit - I get it, it's just interesting :) )
If you upgraded your GSX Mini with a more powerful amp for the Susvara, I believe you will find the Susvara exceptional and then probably your overall No1 headphone.

I had the BHSE and 009's and my current Susvara set up is far superior all round than the 009 setup I had !

Feb 13, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #6,719 of 25,599

Ya no. On my pass x350.8 Susvara is a chameleon, seductive, golden and flowing or... lightning fast with pounding deeply extended bass.... it does well with both melodic vocals/instrumentals or bone crushing techno, house etc.

Feb 13, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #6,720 of 25,599
1613111978011.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back