HiFiMan Susvara
Feb 11, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #6,646 of 25,599
everybody prices their prodicts as high as they can get away with...everybody...hifiman likely makes very few of these amps thus the price...I am quite sure they are fantastic it is just that 15K is a bit rich for my blood...it was hard enough for me to spring for the 6k bakoon...I would however love to hear the ef1000 and bakoon side by side because the bakoon sounds so incredibly good to my ears I cannot imagine that much better

Uhhhhh. I think Hifiman is a bit special in terms of pricing.

Stax SR009 to Stax SR009S - 8 year gap to release, 25% increase in price.

Hifiman HE1000 to Susvara, 2 year gap to release, straight doubling of price...

I can only imagine what Susvara successor will cost.......

Also "Shangri-la" system is not even competitive with a well driven 009/007.

50k price simply to match Sennheiser HE-1. Sennheiser has the history and the pedigree backed up by stellar build quality ( for the case majority of products), Hifiman wants to play in the same league without investment in proper build quality and customer service.

Ask anyone who knows about building amps about the Shangri-la amp. You'll be surprised.....

Feb 11, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #6,647 of 25,599
Feb 11, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #6,648 of 25,599
Feb 11, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #6,649 of 25,599

50k price simply to match Sennheiser HE-1. Sennheiser has the history and the pedigree backed up by stellar build quality ( for the case majority of products), Hifiman wants to play in the same league without investment in proper build quality and customer service.

Ask anyone who knows about building amps about the Shangri-la amp. You'll be surprised.....
In fairness to Hifiman, I think of Susvara as a different product than the HE1000, as opposed to an incremental upgrade. I don't have a problem paying a premium price for a product if it is clearly superior to lower-priced alternatives. As such, I have my doubts that the EF-1000 justifies its price based on that criterion, with the disclaimer that I've never personally auditioned it.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #6,650 of 25,599
I'm not qualified in amplifier design so I won't comment. If you put on a gun to my head and asked me to guess the BOM cost on that amp I'd say $500 + whatever the case cost. Just a guess I could be wrong.

If you want to spend above 10,000 GBP on an amplifier from a company that wired their $6000 headphones incorrectly I'm not going to stop you :wink:

If it was my money I'd get an amp from a legendary designer like Nelson Pass or a company with decades of experience in the field.

Hifiman's business strategy is pricing things as high as they can get away with. That much is clear to me.

We can agree to disagree, it's only high end audio :beerchug:
I would only buy a Chord Electronics Power Amp which I consider to be one of the best in the world.

The fact that currently Chord don't build a dedicated Headphone Amp (they did build a Chordette Toucan but this was rubbish) and as I am already using my Chord Mezzo 140 Power Amp with my Susvara's direct from my DAVE (which does sound fantastic), I have resisted buying a later designed and built Chord Amp i.e. the Etude (to go with my Chord Choral System) or their Ultima line. And instead looked at Hifiman's EF1000.

I was also seriously looking at the Trafomatic Primavera as well as the WA33 but I didn't like the quality of the finish of the Primervera and the WA33's footprint is too difficult to accommodate in my UK base. The EF1000's footprints will fit in my listening room perfectly !

Maybe by end of this year or next year Chord Electronics may bring out a dedicated and powerful headphone amp maybe with digital inputs (to go with the future connections already on the DAVE & TT2. Until then I am thinking the EF-1000 must be one of the best pairings for the Susvara's and also possibly the Abyss 1266's !

Feb 11, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #6,652 of 25,599

If you think as such of Hifiman I am surprised you bought the Susvaras !

Feb 11, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #6,653 of 25,599
Susvara + Niimbus US4 - omg what a great paring! I might sell my AB1266 and go for Susvara, they are perfect!
before I bought the bakoon 13r I actually looked into the nimbus...i picked the bakoon due to its incredibly small footprint ...I am sure the nimbus will be an equally great choice

Feb 11, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #6,654 of 25,599

The special pricing certainly has something to do with Chinese culture and the standing of money within it. However as it turned out, it worked and other manufacturers use the same pricing strategies now.
On the other Hand hifiman also offers among the best value for money headphones in other price Segments.
Imo best sub 500€ headphone is the Sundara and best sub 2k€ headphone the Arya.

While Hifiman does not match companies like Sennheiser in build quality, they certainly don't dissappoint in the sound quality Department.
Never heard that the Shangri La Sr. Doesn't beat a 009 before. This is obviously always subjective but afaik the General consens is that it's definitely not worse than a 009.

I don't know about the Shangri La amp, it's overpriced for sure, but all Statement products are.
The Shangri La Junior amp is great tho(the headphones less so)

Feb 11, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #6,655 of 25,599
I have not heard EF1000 but from others that have heard it I would guess it will sound really good and better than 99 % of the amps Susvara users have. The amp is not design by Bian Fang or Hifiman. Fang asked a consult to develop the amp. It's hybride Class A design, which if done right, will have the benefit of both SS and tubes and none pr very little of its "limitations".

Looking forward to read how it sounds and compare to other quality amps.

Feb 11, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #6,656 of 25,599

Interesting that you say that regarding the 009/007. The impressions I've seen have been in pretty high regard for the sound. Did you try the Shangri-la with the same amp as the 009/007? What didn't you like about the sound?

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #6,657 of 25,599
You do realize that these professional reviewers make money from advertising by the manufacturers right?

They do, but this doesn't mean that they aren't honest with their opinions.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 11, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #6,658 of 25,599
so do car reviews, tv reviews, movie reviews, record reviews etc etc etc....make of the reviews what you want and learn to discern who are the good and who are the bad reviewers

Feb 11, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #6,660 of 25,599
Susvara + Niimbus US4 - omg what a great paring! I might sell my AB1266 and go for Susvara, they are perfect!
I’ve been looking for a headphone amp for my office. The Niimbus US4+ is on my short list. What headphone amp did you use before the Niimbus? What dac are you using to feed it with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back