HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 6, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #5,971 of 26,676
Cool! Are they easy to apply? I have 5 types of ZMF pads at my disposal, but none of them perforated (because I have the VC). Might be worth getting a perforated pair if they are easy to apply.

When you say 'frequency response unchanged', I guess you mean 'to your ears', or did you actually measure this?

Yeah, you just need a pair of the plastic rings that the stock pads are attached too. You then put the pad on the ring, and then the ring back onto the headphone. Really easy. You are right, I highly doubt non perforated would sound good, so ordering a perforated pair would be your best bet.

I did say that the frequency response *SEEMS* to be *LARGELY* unchanged. So yes, you are right. No measurements.

Jan 6, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #5,973 of 26,676
I took this picture for the Norne thread, but the Susvara looked so nice in the photo so I figured I'd share it here as well. The cable is the Norne Vikari headphone cable and a Norne Vikari speaker tap cable with Furutech Rhodium spades.

9CooTwU.jpg

Jan 6, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #5,974 of 26,676
I'm really enjoying my bootleg susvara pads. The soundstage is massive and bass is slamming :L3000:

Jan 6, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #5,975 of 26,676
I'm really enjoying my bootleg susvara pads. The soundstage is massive and bass is slamming :L3000:

"Bootleg"? I thought those were the harmony pads shipped to you from HFM themselves. Are you saying the HFM shipped you "bootleg" versions of their own pads?

Jan 6, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #5,976 of 26,676
"Bootleg"? I thought those were the harmony pads shipped to you from HFM themselves. Are you saying the HFM shipped you "bootleg" versions of their own pads?

"Bootleg" is probably too harsh. HFM customer service is very good. All jokes aside these pads are very good and I prefer them to the originals. It's just strange they would send them to me.

Jan 7, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #5,977 of 26,676
I took this picture for the Norne thread, but the Susvara looked so nice in the photo so I figured I'd share it here as well. The cable is the Norne Vikari headphone cable and a Norne Vikari speaker tap cable with Furutech Rhodium spades.

9CooTwU.jpg
Lovely cable 😍🥰

Jan 7, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #5,978 of 26,676
Has anyone had issues with the ports on their Susvara losing grip? I have 3.5mm ports (end June 2020 manufacture date) and the left port is no longer gripping the jack properly. Thankfully it still works and I'm just trying not to unplug/replug as that seems to worsen the issue.

I'm trying to sort out warranty service, but it is a bit of a nightmare. I bought from a Chinese distributor but I live in the UK, and evidently the headphones are only under a "local warranty", which means shipping it to the Chinese distributor and them dealing with warranty service before sending the Susvaras back to me (God knows what that turnaround time looks like), all because of a faulty 3.5mm jack :/ I knew Hifiman's customer service was a bad, but this is super frustrating.

Jan 7, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #5,979 of 26,676
In the last several months, I have invested my weekends and after-office hours auditioning amps from leading manufacturers, including Pass Labs, Mcintosh, Gryphon, Luxman, Accuphase, Musical Fidelity, Parasound, Anthem, PS Audio, etc.

I have also heard amps from leading headphone amp manufacturers, which, to my mind, paled in comparison to speaker amps. I am, of course, not the first to say this. Nor will I be the last.

Users of the Hifiman Susvara, and to a lesser degree, the Abyss 1266 HPs, have also noted the superior sound from speaker amps, even when driving other headphones, far less ravenous than the Susvaras or the 1266.

Herb Reichert has a poetic review of the Susvaras where he posits the same, referring to these explorations of driving headphones with speaker amps, rather amusingly, as “unauthorized experiments.”

In any case, my conclusions from my experiments are as follows:

1. The Pass Labs XA25 power amp and XP12 pre-amp combo is the best sound I have heard from any amplifier, be it speaker or headphone amp; Class A or Class A/B; Solid State or Tube. Its the most transparent sounding amp, with outstanding naturalness of timbre, an eerily large soundstage, surprising tactility to instrument sounds, and vocals that are just breathtaking. I am, of course, not the first to be impressed by this. Many revered audio critics have opined that the XA25 might be Nelson Pass’s best creation. I myself have also heard Pass’s Class A Monoblocks, if that helps to know, as a benchmark.

2. I have run the Susvaras off 8-10 different head amp and speaker amp combos, but nothing comes close to this rig. The marriage between the XP12, XA25, and the Susvaras, is divine. I was told by my (South Asian) parents growing up that marriages are made in heaven. This is probably what they had in mind? For reference, I am a happily married man.

Perfection.jpg

3. The Hifiman Susvaras off the Pass XP12 and XA25 is the best sound I have heard, period. The sound is far superior to my ears, than speaker rigs worth multiple times more, to say nothing of other headphone + head amp rigs. I may have heard every other TOTL headphone and amp pairings. Your preferences may vary of course, as they should. As they must. But for me, this is endgame. The elusive crossing of the final frontier.

In case you would like impressions, as some of you sought, when I reported acquiring this rig:

Listening to the Susvaras off the Pass Labs accentuates the Susvara’s beguiling musicality.

The details. Oh, the details on this rig. Ubiquitous but never offensive. Blithely inhabiting the space and stage afforded by the marriage of the Sus and the Pass.

As the music’s details hang in this expanded spaciousness of stage, the listener is able to pin point the location and size of each instrument; the movement of the performer on stage, etc.

In terms of frequencies: the bass is deep, detailed, visceral, and subsonic. The bass is tight, controlled, fast, and where Susvaras shine is their low-end detail.

The treble sparkles but stays unerringly polite. In fact, the Susvara treble is a shameless exhibitionist. It's like it wants to see you walk the line on treble energy without ever, ever, giving you sibilance. It makes you laud the damn headphones even whilst listening to it. I kid you not. :gs1000smile:

The midrange is so true to life, that it can make a saint of a sinner, a truth teller of a lying man. Vocals glow and you may start believing the transparency is the handmaiden of musicality, which, for most gears, are compromises.

This is audio nirvana as far as I am concerned. :purple_heart:

Full review of the Hifiman Susvara on various amps, forthcoming.

Jan 7, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #5,980 of 26,676
In the last several months, I have invested my weekends and after-office hours auditioning amps from leading manufacturers, including Pass Labs, Mcintosh, Gryphon, Luxman, Accuphase, Musical Fidelity, Parasound, Anthem, PS Audio, etc.

I have also heard amps from leading headphone amp manufacturers, which, to my mind, paled in comparison to speaker amps. I am, of course, not the first to say this. Nor will I be the last.

Users of the Hifiman Susvara, and to a lesser degree, the Abyss 1266 HPs, have also noted the superior sound from speaker amps, even when driving other headphones, far less ravenous than the Susvaras or the 1266. You have me considering a speaker amp audition

Herb Reichert has a poetic review of the Susvaras where he posits the same, referring to these explorations of driving headphones with speaker amps, rather amusingly, as “unauthorized experiments.”

1. The Pass Labs XA25 power amp and XP12 pre-amp combo is the best sound I have heard from any amplifier, be it speaker or headphone amp; Class A or Class A/B; Solid State or Tube. Its the most transparent sounding amp, with outstanding naturalness of timbre, an eerily large soundstage, surprising tactility to instrument sounds, and vocals that are just breathtaking. I am, of course, not the first to be impressed by this. Many revered audio critics have opined that the XA25 might be Nelson Pass’s best creation. I myself have also heard Pass’s Class A Monoblocks, if that helps to know, as a benchmark.

2. I have run the Susvaras off 8-10 different head amp and speaker amp combos, but nothing comes close to this rig. The marriage between the XP12, XA25, and the Susvaras, is divine. I was told by my (South Asian) parents growing up that marriages are made in heaven. This is probably what they had in mind? For reference, I am a happily married man.

Perfection.jpg

3. The Hifiman Susvaras off the Pass XP12 and XA25 is the best sound I have heard, period. The sound is far superior to my ears, than speaker rigs worth multiple times more, to say nothing of other headphone + head amp rigs. I may have heard every other TOTL headphone and amp pairings. Your preferences may vary of course, as they should. As they must. But for me, this is endgame. The elusive crossing of the final frontier.

In case you would like impressions, as some of you sought, when I reported acquiring this rig:

Listening to the Susvaras off the Pass Labs accentuates the Susvara’s beguiling musicality.

The details. Oh, the details on this rig. Ubiquitous but never offensive. Blithely inhabiting the space and stage afforded by the marriage of the Sus and the Pass.

As the music’s details hang in this expanded spaciousness of stage, the listener is able to pin point the location and size of each instrument; the movement of the performer on stage, etc.

In terms of frequencies: the bass is deep, detailed, visceral, and subsonic. The bass is tight, controlled, fast, and where Susvaras shine is their low-end detail.

The treble sparkles but stays unerringly polite. In fact, the Susvara treble is a shameless exhibitionist. It's like it wants to see you walk the line on treble energy without ever, ever, giving you sibilance. It makes you laud the damn headphones even whilst listening to it. I kid you not. :gs1000smile:

The midrange is so true to life, that it can make a saint of a sinner, a truth teller of a lying man. Vocals glow and you may start believing the transparency is the handmaiden of musicality, which, for most gears, are compromises.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I think you are in a unique position, in that you have experimented with a lot of different amps. I have a WA33 Elite with JPS wiring that I absolutely love. Still, I am very intrigued by your comments (and those of others). I think I need to audition a speaker amp to quench my thirst for even better sound :thinking:

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #5,981 of 26,676

Users of the Hifiman Susvara, and to a lesser degree, the Abyss 1266 HPs, have also noted the superior sound from speaker amps, even when driving other headphones, far less ravenous than the Susvaras or the 1266.

Perfection.jpg

Did you ever try something like Woo Wa33 as pre amp into the XA25?

Jan 8, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #5,982 of 26,676

Perfection.jpg

Great review Sajid.

What would also be very interesting is to compare Hifiman's own official Amp for the Susvara's i.e. the updated EF-1000 with TOTL Headphone and Speaker Amps from other manufacturers.

I hope to demo the EF-1000 sometime in Jan / Feb with my Susvara's and Chord DAVE Dac.

Another Headphone Amp which has had a great review with the Susvara and 1266 is the Trafomatic Audio Primavera !

Jan 8, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #5,983 of 26,676
Hifiman cs just sent me a new pad and honestly they look the same to me (The left one is the new one). It does looks thicker but I assume it just because the new pads are still new and haven't yet deformed.

20210108_173242.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #5,984 of 26,676
Hifiman cs just sent me a new pad and honestly they look the same to me (The left one is the new one). It does look less thick but I assume it just because the new pads are still new and haven't yet deformed.

20210108_173242.jpg
That seems like a credible assumption. And if the Dekoni pads are indeed not deeper than the stock pads, we still do not have deeper pads for the Susvara. A shame, but my ears will live. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back