HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 4, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #5,956 of 26,679
I picked a pair up a few weeks ago and my impressions were pretty quickly very positive, the first thing of note is the clarity and resolution, but to me the trick they pull off that makes them special is the ability to portray exceptional dynamics in quieter passages. To me it's reminiscent of Electrostatics in that way without the compromises.
Been largely using mine on a Cavalli Liquid Gold (the original, not Monoprice version), where it's quite exceptional.
Also works well on a DNA Stratus, but I feel it could use a bit more power to really get the most out of them.
On a lot of my lower priced amps it still sounds really good, but it loses some of what makes it special.

Jan 5, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #5,957 of 26,679
Was there a revision to the harmony pads? I received a new set and installed them and they seem much thicker than before. I had to set the headband 2 notches higher to accommodate for the space.

Jan 5, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #5,959 of 26,679
Love the Auris Nirvana driving LCD-4 at Minidisc where I spend 2 hours. I did not know what Nirvana is or how much it is but I just listen and was very impressed with what I heard from LCD-4 with it. Only toward the end did the shop owner told me it's from Serbia and that it cost nearly AUD $10,000.
I bought mine brand new from an authorized dealer for $4350 USD in August 2019. Since then, they have changed the power supply enclosure to a black metal box. My Nirvana has the wood exterior power supply that matches the amp exterior and looks much better imo.

Jan 5, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #5,960 of 26,679
I bought mine brand new from an authorized dealer for $4350 USD in August 2019. Since then, they have changed the power supply enclosure to a black metal box. My Nirvana has the wood exterior power supply that matches the amp exterior and looks much better imo.

Yours sure does look better with the special wooden enclosure power supply. :) Enjoy. I think the Nirvana will drive any headphones.

Jan 5, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #5,961 of 26,679
Do you have pics of both?

Sure. Pics of the thin side, thick side, and front. Old pads are in my hand new pads are installed.

sus2.jpgsus3.jpgsus4.jpg

Jan 5, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #5,962 of 26,679
Jan 5, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #5,963 of 26,679
Has anyone ever tried running the Susvara out of a Ray Samuels Dark Star?

Jan 5, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #5,964 of 26,679
Sure. Pics of the thin side, thick side, and front. Old pads are in my hand new pads are installed.

sus2.jpgsus3.jpgsus4.jpg

Those pads are definitely showing their pandemic weight. Will likely purchase, thanks for sharing.

Jan 5, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #5,966 of 26,679
Where did you order from? Any difference in sound or just comfort?

I got them direct from hifiman. I emailed their customer service a few weeks ago because my original pads started to make a crackling sound when I moved my head. They sent these replacement pads for free. I do notice some differences in sound but I think the reason is that my headband is at a different height. The soundstage feels deeper with the new pads. Sounds are slightly further away than before. Bass sounds the same. Comfort is good after I adjusted the headband height. I will do more listening tonight

Jan 5, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #5,967 of 26,679
Soundstage is definitely wider and deeper. Great dynamics. The only negative is that because the pads are so thick you feel them on your head. The original pads melted on your head and you forget you are wearing them. Assuming these are actually susvara pads and I didn't just receive the wrong item lol. They came in a plain brown box and a plastic bag. No writing that said susvara or harmony pads. Either way I may actually prefer these to the originals...

Jan 5, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #5,968 of 26,679
I would love deeper pads on these. Are they easy to replace?

I also read in this thread that Dekoni were working on Susvara pads. Just checked their website and found four types of pads for the Susvara:

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...kin-replacement-ear-pads-for-hifiman-susvara/

Has anyone tried these? They don't look much deeper than the stock pads.

Crazy, didn't realize that Dekoni had released those already. Would be interesting to see how they compare. It's also interesting to see the "new" pads from Hifiman, @TeamHiFiMAN , care to comment?

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #5,969 of 26,679
Ok, so out of curiosity, I've been messing about with pads. I knew I didn't want to change the sound of the Susvara, so I had a good think about materials, and what I have learned from my pad rolling with my ZMF Verites.

The stock Susvara pads are mostly breathable material and are an open backed headhone, so un-perforated leather all round would likely massively mess up the sound, With that in mind, I've been trying my ZMF Universe Suede Perforated pads with the Susvara. So far, the frequency response seems largely unchanged. The only thing I'm wondering is if the upper mids are raised a TINY amount. The technicalities and detail all remain just fine.

The ZMF Pads are so much more comfortable than the stock Hifiman pads. Also, for those who have ears that protrude a bit more and find the stock Hifiman Pads too shallow, the ZMF pads might be worth a try.

I think that the leather perforated Universe Pads from ZMF, which I will try tomorrow, will be too bright, But I will give them a go tomorrow and report back.

So far, this has been an interesting experiment.

IMG_1515.JPG

IMG_1516.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #5,970 of 26,679
Ok, so out of curiosity, I've been messing about with pads. I knew I didn't want to change the sound of the Susvara, so I had a good think about materials, and what I have learned from my pad rolling with my ZMF Verites.

The stock Susvara pads are mostly breathable material and are an open backed headhone, so un-perforated leather all round would likely massively mess up the sound, With that in mind, I've been trying my ZMF Universe Suede Perforated pads with the Susvara. So far, the frequency response seems largely unchanged. The only thing I'm wondering is if the upper mids are raised a TINY amount. The technicalities and detail all remain just fine.

The ZMF Pads are so much more comfortable than the stock Hifiman pads. Also, for those who have ears that protrude a bit more and find the stock Hifiman Pads too shallow, the ZMF pads might be worth a try.

I think that the leather perforated Universe Pads from ZMF, which I will try tomorrow, will be too bright, But I will give them a go tomorrow and report back.

So far, this has been an interesting experiment.

IMG_1515.JPG

IMG_1516.JPG
Cool! Are they easy to apply? I have 5 types of ZMF pads at my disposal, but none of them perforated (because I have the VC). Might be worth getting a perforated pair if they are easy to apply.

When you say 'frequency response unchanged', I guess you mean 'to your ears', or did you actually measure this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back