HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 13, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #3,886 of 25,919
Jun 13, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #3,887 of 25,919
I found the Pass Labs was brilliant with most headphones, but did run out of steam with the Susvara. I preferred the GS-X Mk2 and GS-X mini FWIW. :)
I use The Pass Xa25 with the susvara & no way does it run out of steam source is a emm labs transport feeding a Lampi Big7 Hegel p30 preamp

Jun 13, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #3,888 of 25,919
I reached a point where I didn't want to unplug the Bakoon and switch to HPA4 anymore

Word. It happened to me with a number of amps, DACs and cans, but each time it does, it's a case closed. There can be only one winner :E

Anyone tried one of the lower powered Pass amps like the XA30.8?

I had a go with FirstWatt F7 (technically it's a Pass) and it was okay(ish) with Susvara, but not up there with the best amps for these cans.

On paper power can translate to reaching sufficient dB SPL but it doesn't reliably tell the whole story w/ respect to sound quality.

I couldn't agree more.

It’s really an integrated speaker amp

Technically it's a stereo power amp with true variable gain controlled by an internal CPU. Externally an integrated amp, internally it's complicated :)

It's a good point.

It might be, but AFAIK amps with Exicons aren't noisy, so we'd have to ask the manufacturer about specifics.

Last edited:
Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Jun 13, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #3,890 of 25,919
Really? Which Pass ran out of steam? A speaker amp or the HPA-1?

Passlabs are good! Amps that need a lot of GNF, "normally" not so much IMO.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #3,891 of 25,919
Really? Which Pass ran out of steam? A speaker amp or the HPA-1?

Definitely not the speaker amp...the HPA-1. :) But just with the Susvara and HE-6SE. Good, but not great with these 2 headphones...really good with everything else though that I tried.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #3,893 of 25,919
Yes, I was around 0 -5, bass was lacking (compared to Susvara with an amp) but still there. the details, transparency, depth, was nearly as good as with an amp.

I’ve found that the more I’ve lowered the noise floor in my system, the less I’ve needed to turn up the volume which makes it munch easier to drive low sensitive headphones.

Gorgeous. Quick question, do you ever find you run out of gain on that set up? When I had the AIC10, I found that on some classical recordings, I would max out the volume. The amp is "only" 10W into 8 ohms but it really does sound like much more than that and has incredible synergy.

Jun 14, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #3,894 of 25,919
Gorgeous. Quick question, do you ever find you run out of gain on that set up? When I had the AIC10, I found that on some classical recordings, I would max out the volume. The amp is "only" 10W into 8 ohms but it really does sound like much more than that and has incredible synergy.
No, not at all. I’ve had DAVE turned up to -10 -12 on low volume tracks but never really more. For brief seconds I’ve turned it up even higher just to see how much juice the AFC-10 had and it never distorted.

I think the 10W is a very conservative rating. It peaks at 30W with 1% THD

Jun 15, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #3,895 of 25,919
Bakoon AMP-13R is the best I've heard w/ Susvara. I ended up buying one after an extensive demo. If anyone is interested in buying one please feel free to PM me. :)

I finally got mine too. A marvel of engineering. Amazing what they packed into that tiny footprint. Feels dense. Really minimalist controls. Susvara sounds great on them. Need to A/B with my other gear, but just off of memory I'd say they other descriptions are accurate. They sound great, but maybe only 5 to 10% than other great but lower priced gear. I paid a premium for the extra % points, small footprint and design, but I do like that I can use it as a speaker amp too.

I also took the unit to a dealer to audition them with some Harbeth P3ESRs. Sound amazing. Dealer didn't have anniversary edition so I had to scrounge the web to find a dealer who had the 40th anniversary P3ESRs. Can't wait to receive them.

Really great imaging.

Jun 15, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #3,897 of 25,919
All this Bakoon talk has me and a couple people I know craving to hear it.

I don’t think there are any dealers here in Canada.. might have to reach out to them.

I stripped the screw on one of my custom MC225’s speaker taps, and currently can’t listen to my wonderful speakers and have to resort to the thx 789 for my Susvara. It’s just alright sounding.. lol. A nice modern speaker amp might be a great investment, but I wonder if it can notably outclass my Mac.

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 15, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #3,898 of 25,919
I finally got mine too. A marvel of engineering. Amazing what they packed into that tiny footprint. Feels dense. Really minimalist controls. Susvara sounds great on them. Need to A/B with my other gear, but just off of memory I'd say they other descriptions are accurate. They sound great, but maybe only 5 to 10% than other great but lower priced gear. I paid a premium for the extra % points, small footprint and design, but I do like that I can use it as a speaker amp too.

I also took the unit to a dealer to audition them with some Harbeth P3ESRs. Sound amazing. Dealer didn't have anniversary edition so I had to scrounge the web to find a dealer who had the 40th anniversary P3ESRs. Can't wait to receive them.

Really great imaging.

Well summarized! Indeed a unique, special amp. Look forward to trying some speakers w/ it myself.

Jun 15, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #3,899 of 25,919
I’m joining Team Susvara! I just ordered a Susvara and I should get it by Thursday. It takes the same plugs as the HE1000V2 right? If so, I have Wywires Platinum adapters so that I can use my Platinum cable and my other 4 LCD/ZMF cables with the Susvara. I’ll be driving it with my Auris Nirvana with NOS tubes. I’ve been debating for a long whether to get the Susvara or TC. I think for the type of music that I listen to, mostly female vocals, jazz and classical music, that the Susvara will be a better fit. Also, comfort is important to me and I’ve tried the TC a few times and it felt awkward to say the least. I hope that I made the right decision.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #3,900 of 25,919
Maybe....then why not publish them? :wink: Most manufacturers love to show them off.

Just to circle back here, for general knowledge and posterity. First and foremost, Bakoon responded w/ THD <0.5% / SNR 95dB on their 13R. To paraphrase and extrapolate further, a zero negative feedback amp is not going to lend itself to the 'spec wars' you see from other manufacturers. The $200 SMSL SP200 advertises 0.00006% THD; achieving extreme distortion mitigation thru negative feedback is not an engineering feat per se, it is more a design decision which also happens to play quite favorably in marketing collateral. Some hear these amps as ultra clean, others may describe it as leaning towards sterile, lifeless. Not inherently bad at all, but this type of sound can start to feel rather homogeneous. Let's be honest, how different does a GSX2 sound compared to a HPA4, or even the new Topping A90? Sure, maybe a hair of variance but they're all underscored by that 'wire-with-gain' sentiment. They have little or no character, for better or worse. At the end of the day, and to oversimplify, a primary advantage of a zero global feedback circuit is increased musicality, air, holographic imaging and stage depth.. in other words, you get a solid state that gets you the closest to a tube sound without any actual drawbacks of tubes. If you need a more technical explanation, I'd advise you to check out some of Nelson Pass' articles on feedback and distortion. Some of his philosophies on amp design eschews technical perfection. So does Ayre and a few others. On paper their amps are more or less utter 'failures'. In practice many own and love their amps. Long story short, let your ears dictate sound quality, not graphs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back