HiFiMan Susvara
May 4, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #3,602 of 25,616
So one reviewer preferred this new Bakoon amp over four other speaker amps, two of which list for less than half its price.

Alright, duly noted.

But is it really worth half a dozen posts, hyping up this specific review? I actually enjoy the reviews on 6moons quite a bit, particularly the ones written by Srajan, which never fail to make me laugh out loud at least 2 or 3 times over the course of any of his multi-page epics, but still, c'mon.

May 4, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #3,603 of 25,616
So one reviewer preferred this new Bakoon amp over four other speaker amps, two of which list for less than half its price.

Alright, duly noted.

But is it really worth half a dozen posts, hyping up this specific review? I actually enjoy the reviews on 6moons quite a bit, particularly the ones written by Srajan, which never fail to make me laugh out loud at least 2 or 3 times over the course of any of his multi-page epics, but still, c'mon.
most are not buying the bakoon for just the HP stage... they are 2 channel guys as well.... the footprint is impressive as well... you get what you pay for... but I happen to think all high end audio is terrible biz... i see big shake out in industry as it moves to D2C. If I was Abyss, Audeze or HiFi man I would slice my prices in half and go for the volume play while putting everyone else out of business.

May 5, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #3,604 of 25,616
I've owned 2 Dynahi's and heard three and the GS-X in every iteration is a step down. The GS-X is a bit more equivalent to the Bipolar. Pretty good amp though.

And while I don't prefer the Susvara, it is quite good sounding out of the Dynahi. As is the Verite scaled.

I also saw you were contemplating ECP, which I also fully endorse. I still prefer the Dynahi to the DSHA5 (have T4 on order as well) due to the remarkable and best in class low end and dynamics you've referenced. However, I might also suggest you investigate a Transconductance design from KG. It's long been a fit for planars.
From the HE-5,6,SE to Susvara, that may just be my favorite matching.

I'm quite content with the Dynahi for now. I was contemplating the DSHA-4 Ravenswood though it would be very nice if I could actually hear the combo before placing an order since it is quite expensive. What is the DSHA-5? I've never seen anything ever posted about it. Also, I've seen some mentions here and there in regards to a transconductance amplifier in some of the KG/headcase threads but have never even seen any online pictures, let alone heard one before. Do you happen to have any leads as to where I might be able to learn a bit more?

May 5, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #3,605 of 25,616
You guys see this review of susvara run on 5 speaker amps... Bakoon won... this thing has an easter egg feature that gets 25W/channel out of the HP jack!!!!! TBH sounds like this combo knocks down the Abyss TC.

Going to get this amp and try... will defo hold selling the susvara... i dont think even the TT2 can properly drive these... sounds like an entirely different animal with Bakoon... maby best in the world... and this Bakoon amp may be the best HP amp out there as well.

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/bakoon8/2/

Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 5.22.32 AM.png
Radnor - please let us know if you get a chance to test the Bakoon Amp-13R. I'm thinking about this for myself too, but in these uncertain times, shelling out $6K USD is not easy to do. I believe it could be my end game HPA and make an amazing pairing with my end game Susvaras. After that, I only need the perfect DAC to complete my system.

Really curious how much better the Bakoon might be vs just using a THX AAA 789.

May 5, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #3,606 of 25,616
Radnor - please let us know if you get a chance to test the Bakoon Amp-13R. I'm thinking about this for myself too, but in these uncertain times, shelling out $6K USD is not easy to do. I believe it could be my end game HPA and make an amazing pairing with my end game Susvaras. After that, I only need the perfect DAC to complete my system.

If you're using a 789 then it will undoubtedly be a LOT better.
The 789 really didn't have enough juice at all to drive the susvara properly

May 5, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #3,607 of 25,616

I posted this before, in Germany we have a well known reviewer (he does this as a hobby) called musicalhead.de
He reviewed the combo (Susvara plus Bakoon AMP-13).
He was so excited about his experience that he wrote that waves of enthusiasm were rolling through his body and he has some of the best amps to compare with, like the $15000,00 Riviera AIC10.

May 5, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #3,609 of 25,616

It’s really nice... smooth... bass seems deeper as well... Better than the TT2 HP amp.... seems to remove any sibilance as well.

I’m sure it’s quite a bit of a step up from the thx.

However it’s not a quantum leap over the tt2 whereby my jaw dropped... maby 15% better than tt2 amp which is a powerful amp... Really you would need to hear with your ears... Obviously I do not have canary ears... nor do I think susvara is my cup of tea... better to wait for Koven review... I will be giving him the amp this weekend and he will be comparing his hpa4. TBH it’s a step up but maby im getting deaf but if everyone raves about susvara on this and speaker amps I must not be the target for susvara sound sig... believe me this is a beautiful amp... and incredibly minimal form factor... but those in love with susvara have different ears than me... I’d like to test it wit abyss TC... I will be selling my virtually new susvara for 3500. Putting in FS forum soon.

The Bakoon however is a stunning piece... really better for someone in love with susvara to judge synergy... Koven should be able to answer better than me.... and see all these others rave reviews in the articles.

I think BACCH has ruined headphones for me. It’s like seeing in 3D for the 1st time hard to go back to 2d. Going to test the Bakoon on 2 channel Wednesday.

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #3,610 of 25,616
on this note, i take it that the 789 will suffice or more than suffice for 90% of cans except for 1266, susvara, LCD4 etc.?
That is correct.

May 5, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #3,611 of 25,616
on this note, i take it that the 789 will suffice or more than suffice for 90% of cans except for 1266, susvara, LCD4 etc.?
Yeah the 789 has plenty of power and will drive all but the hungriest cans.
Its not that the 789 is lacking in power, far from it, its just that the susvaras really do need a quite frankly silly amount of current availability to shine.

I did notice a quite surprising improvement in lowend control on the aryas when moving to the AHB2, but nowhere near the difference that was heard on the susvaras

May 5, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #3,612 of 25,616
better to wait for Koven review... I will be giving him the amp this weekend and he will be comparing his hpa4.

I hope for the sake of my wallet it doesn't sound much better than the HPA4... :D And yeah sounds like you'd like the TC signature more if even the Bakoon doesn't drop your jaw w/ Susvara.

May 5, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #3,613 of 25,616
I'm quite content with the Dynahi for now. I was contemplating the DSHA-4 Ravenswood though it would be very nice if I could actually hear the combo before placing an order since it is quite expensive. What is the DSHA-5? I've never seen anything ever posted about it. Also, I've seen some mentions here and there in regards to a transconductance amplifier in some of the KG/headcase threads but have never even seen any online pictures, let alone heard one before. Do you happen to have any leads as to where I might be able to learn a bit more?
They are few and far. DSHA5 is referred to as Copenhagen. Its relevance is placed as a Transconductance ( current source for those ignorant) design. You'll likely be more familiar with the 3, 3F or DSHA4 variance. However, (as you should know) Doug's design share a similar topology as the man is very clever.

Head-Case is your source for DIY: be it commissions, or schematics. There is a drive available hosting ALL of Kevin Gilmores files.
If that happens to be a reach, there is a very competent builder here whom dabbles outside of stat builds -- he may entertain a build.

May 5, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #3,614 of 25,616
They are few and far. DSHA5 is referred to as Copenhagen. Its relevance is placed as a Transconductance ( current source for those ignorant) design. You'll likely be more familiar with the 3, 3F or DSHA4 variance. However, (as you should know) Doug's design share a similar topology as the man is very clever.

Head-Case is your source for DIY: be it commissions, or schematics. There is a drive available hosting ALL of Kevin Gilmores files.
If that happens to be a reach, there is a very competent builder here whom dabbles outside of stat builds -- he may entertain a build.

Ah yes, I have heard of it referred to as the Copenhagen. It would be interesting to see if the builder here would consider a build or to check headcase but at another head-fier's strongest recommendation, I'm currently leaning much more towards having a DSHA4 built. It also helps that the amp is absolutely gorgeous looking too :beyersmile:

May 5, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #3,615 of 25,616
Ah yes, I have heard of it referred to as the Copenhagen. It would be interesting to see if the builder here would consider a build or to check headcase but at another head-fier's strongest recommendation, I'm currently leaning much more towards having a DSHA4 built. It also helps that the amp is absolutely gorgeous looking too :beyersmile:
Through the DIY community, the world is your oyster. :grin:

Hard to argue that choice. I'm contemplating reaching out to Doug and inquiring about a custom Apsara build.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back