HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 20, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #3,436 of 25,594
I just got my Cardas Clear headphone cables for my Susvara. They sound good, but I'm still wanting more bass. Maybe I'm wanting more bass than the Susvaras can offer (perhaps my TCs have spoiled me). Other than that though, the cables sound good. They sound "sweeter" than the Susvara stock and Abyss stock headphone cables (with an adapter) I have been using. They also sound even more laid back than the other two cables, which is good for some genres, but not others.

I'm gonna let the Cardas Clear cables burn in, but I'm afraid that I'm going to have to continue the search. I keep trying to find solutions that will stop me from going the Danacables Lazuli Nirvana route, but I think I'm gonna have to go that way.

Mar 20, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #3,437 of 25,594
I just got my Cardas Clear headphone cables for my Susvara. They sound good, but I'm still wanting more bass. Maybe I'm wanting more bass than the Susvaras can offer (perhaps my TCs have spoiled me). Other than that though, the cables sound good. They sound "sweeter" than the Susvara stock and Abyss stock headphone cables (with an adapter) I have been using. They also sound even more laid back than the other two cables, which is good for some genres, but not others.

I'm gonna let the Cardas Clear cables burn in, but I'm afraid that I'm going to have to continue the search. I keep trying to find solutions that will stop me from going the Danacables Lazuli Nirvana route, but I think I'm gonna have to go that way.
The Susvara’s are definitely capable of more bass. When I had my Pro iCan, I would always have xBass on the second notch and the Susvara’s responded very well. In fact, I thought it had better bass than the Abyss Phi’s I had at the time with xBass engaged. So I sold the Abyss Phi’s.

Mar 22, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #3,438 of 25,594
So, after some burn in, the Cardas Clear cables are actually a nice step up from the stock cables. I typically don't believe in burn-in, but in this case, burn-in worked. I like these cables a lot more now

Mar 23, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #3,441 of 25,594
I have to admit, the Cardas Clear cables have really improved my satisfaction with the Susvaras. Of my 3 main headphones (TC, Sr1a, Susvara), I always thought that the Susvaras were last place. I think they probably still are in last place, but these past couple of days, I found myself choosing the Susvaras more than the other 2 headphones. Black Metal sounds amazing on the Susvaras. Like, better than the other 2 headphones. In these trying times, Black Metal is very appropriate, so the Susvaras are gonna get a lot more use.

Thanks @MacedonianHero for the suggestion :beerchug:

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #3,442 of 25,594
Ifi black label with the susvara?????????really?

Mar 23, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #3,443 of 25,594
Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #3,444 of 25,594
I’m the owner of a pair of Susvara, used with Danacable Lazuli Nirvana and driven by a Woo Audio WA33(non - Elite) with the upgraded tubes. I am very happy with my system and believe it works well with the music I listen to (Acoustic Jazz, Female Jazz singers, Pop and classical). The Woo amp has plenty of power/headroom and I find myself listening at no higher than about 11:00 on high gain. I have yet to find a headphone that meets or exceeds the musicality, tone and comfort of the Susvara, and am very happy with my set up.

Mar 25, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #3,445 of 25,594
I have to admit, the Cardas Clear cables have really improved my satisfaction with the Susvaras. Of my 3 main headphones (TC, Sr1a, Susvara), I always thought that the Susvaras were last place. I think they probably still are in last place, but these past couple of days, I found myself choosing the Susvaras more than the other 2 headphones. Black Metal sounds amazing on the Susvaras. Like, better than the other 2 headphones. In these trying times, Black Metal is very appropriate, so the Susvaras are gonna get a lot more use.

Thanks @MacedonianHero for the suggestion :beerchug:

You are welcome! Simply beautiful cables that help bring out the very best in these world class headphones (and one of my favourites)!

Apr 2, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #3,446 of 25,594
I created a personal challenge to find ways to extract as much performance as possible using inexpensive means. For those who have the impression that you will need an expensive amplifier or Dac for the Susvara, take note of the set up I am describing. The following equipment and accessory yields outstanding performance! The midrange and tone rival my reference speaker system. Schiit Audio Yggydrasil DAC>Mosaic Reference>Lightspeed attenuator> moded Emotiva 100X>Susvara. The custom Headphone cable is JPS labs wire. RFI is the main challenge when used as a headphone cable. Removing the RFI yields an outstanding tone. The sound is a mix of the Audeze LCD-4 midrange and the TC dynamics, all elevated to a higher level of refinement thanks to the Susvara's superb technical design. The Headphone cable has to be really good right along with the amplifier power!

The Susvara is a first-class performer.

Apr 3, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #3,447 of 25,594
Anyone thought of Bakoon for Susvaras? I just got their AMP-13R (25W per channel into 8 ohms, 22.5dB max gain) and it is something special with these cans.

Hi Fi Knights seemed to like it.

http://hifiknights.com/reviews/amplifiers/susvara/

I'm very curious. Currently driving my Susvara through a THX AAA 789 with ADi-2DAC fs as a source (I have also ordered a Denafrips Ares II), but I'm wondering what the next level in amping is.

Considering Luxman 750u and then just read that Hifi Knights. The AMPR-13R is my style too. Smallish, nice looking with nice sound quality.

Apr 4, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #3,448 of 25,594
Considering Luxman 750u and then just read that Hifi Knights. The AMPR-13R is my style too. Smallish, nice looking with nice sound quality.

I had a lot of amps at my workshop over the years and some were really expensive, but this one is the best I've heard. Not only with Susvaras but in general. I had Bakoon HPA-21 several years ago and it was very good, exceptional even considering how well it handled HD 800. But it wasn't this impressive.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Apr 4, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #3,449 of 25,594
Interesting. The Bakoon is 'only' 25W into 8 ohms? So in theory 25W = 6.25W at 60 ohms of the Susvara. Then allow for the very low efficiency of the Susvara.
But this review shows it is more than just the amount of power. The X1 sounds really good with the Abyss, as does some speaker amps like the Moon 600i.

Apr 4, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #3,450 of 25,594
People greatly overestimate how much power they actually use. Back in the day when equipment had VU Meters it was quite a bit easier to know such information. 6.25W is a massive amount of power, plenty of overhead, more than plenty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back