HiFiMan Susvara
Apr 11, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #3,466 of 25,667
Apr 12, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #3,468 of 25,667
Anyone find the "perfect" amp for the Susvara's yet?

I'm currently using THX AAA 789 fed by an ADI-2 DAC (also have a Ares II en route which I will A/B with an switch) but want to step it up to the next level.

I'm currently considering the Bakoon AMP-13R and the Benchmark HPA4. It'd be difficult for me to audition these...and there's not a ton of information out there.

I care about sound quality obviously, but prefer a smallish chassis, and something that is built well and looks sexy. Striving for the ultimate Susvara desktop setup :)

Anyone have experiences to share or options I should consider?

Apr 12, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #3,470 of 25,667
Anyone find the "perfect" amp for the Susvara's yet?

I'm currently using THX AAA 789 fed by an ADI-2 DAC (also have a Ares II en route which I will A/B with an switch) but want to step it up to the next level.

I'm currently considering the Bakoon AMP-13R and the Benchmark HPA4. It'd be difficult for me to audition these...and there's not a ton of information out there.

I care about sound quality obviously, but prefer a smallish chassis, and something that is built well and looks sexy. Striving for the ultimate Susvara desktop setup :)

Anyone have experiences to share or options I should consider?

gonna be the HPA4 for me payday :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 12, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #3,471 of 25,667
There's a lot of info/reviews on the HPA4. Benchmark also offers a month trial.

One of those reviews would be mine...and I absolutely love the pairing with the Susvara!!!

Apr 12, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #3,472 of 25,667
formula s/powerman works great and happens to also pair perfectly with the abyss tc

Apr 12, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #3,473 of 25,667
There's a lot of info/reviews on the HPA4. Benchmark also offers a month trial.

Thanks guys, I of course have been scrounging up as much information as I can on the HPA4, but I guess it depends on your point of reference. I'm sure many amps are great for most headphones, but as the Susvara owners know, the Susvara is a different beast. I haven't encountered any headphone that is quite as demanding when it comes to amping.

I have connected it to the speaker jacks of a fully pimped out PS Audio stack, and found that a cheapo NAD 315 BEE powered them just as well.

Ideally the tests would include the HPA4 on the Susvara's against another high-end amp or at least an amp I can relate to (THX AAA 789). Similarly with the Bakoon AMP-13R. Hard to get a sense of where it stands unless someone has compared with 1st hand experience.

Looking forward to more ideas - but so far it looks like HPA4/Susvara owners are happy. I'll keep crawling for reviews and info.

Excited to see how much more I can squeeze out of the Susvaras.

Apr 12, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #3,474 of 25,667
the amp is important on the susvara but I think the dac is even more important...the amount of detail one can discern with a TOTL DAC with these are remarkable

Apr 13, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #3,475 of 25,667
Thanks guys, I of course have been scrounging up as much information as I can on the HPA4, but I guess it depends on your point of reference. I'm sure many amps are great for most headphones, but as the Susvara owners know, the Susvara is a different beast. I haven't encountered any headphone that is quite as demanding when it comes to amping.

I have connected it to the speaker jacks of a fully pimped out PS Audio stack, and found that a cheapo NAD 315 BEE powered them just as well.

Ideally the tests would include the HPA4 on the Susvara's against another high-end amp or at least an amp I can relate to (THX AAA 789). Similarly with the Bakoon AMP-13R. Hard to get a sense of where it stands unless someone has compared with 1st hand experience.

Looking forward to more ideas - but so far it looks like HPA4/Susvara owners are happy. I'll keep crawling for reviews and info.

Excited to see how much more I can squeeze out of the Susvaras.
I own a Questyle CMA 12 which, like the Bakoon Amp 13r, amplifies in the Current domain.
Every time I listen to this amp, I am blown away by the musicality of the Questyle.
So I can only imagine how good the Bakoon might perform.
I have never listened to it, but if I ever think of upgrading my Amp Bakoon will be on the top of my list of amps I will be able audition.

Apr 13, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #3,476 of 25,667
the amp is important on the susvara but I think the dac is even more important...the amount of detail one can discern with a TOTL DAC with these are remarkable

At a performance level this high, I think that everything becomes important.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 13, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #3,477 of 25,667
I own a Questyle CMA 12 which, like the Bakoon Amp 13r, amplifies in the Current domain.
Every time I listen to this amp, I am blown away by the musicality of the Questyle.
So I can only imagine how good the Bakoon might perform.
I have never listened to it, but if I ever think of upgrading my Amp Bakoon will be on the top of my list of amps I will be able audition.
I was on the loaner tour for the CMA 12 master and loved it’s performance. If it could’ve pushed my Susvara’s harder I probably would’ve bought it.

Apr 13, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #3,478 of 25,667
Apr 13, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #3,479 of 25,667
I was on the loaner tour for the CMA 12 master and loved it’s performance. If it could’ve pushed my Susvara’s harder I probably would’ve bought it.
Thats ]
That's why I think that the Bakoon amp 13r might be a good choice. It is also a current amplifier and pushes 25 watts at 8 ohm.

Apr 13, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #3,480 of 25,667
That's why I think that the Bakoon amp 13r might be a good choice. It is also a current amplifier and pushes 25 watts at 8 ohm.
If it has the musicality of the CMA 12 Master with more power, it definitely could be a winning combination for the Susvara's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back