HiFiMan Susvara
Jul 1, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #2,656 of 25,551
I've not heard the XA25 specifically, though based on what I've heard from the Pass Labs amps in general, I imagine it would be a pretty different sound compared to the AHB2.

Hi llamaluv, I noticed that you are selling Pass Labs INT-150. Is there much difference between [INT 150 >> Susvara] and [preamp >> XA 150.8 >> Susvara] ?

Jul 1, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #2,657 of 25,551
Hi llamaluv, I noticed that you are selling Pass Labs INT-150. Is there much difference between [INT 150 >> Susvara] and [preamp >> XA 150.8 >> Susvara] ?
I assume you mean the X150.8? (as there's no such model as an XA 150.8)

There is a significant difference, to my ears. The INT-150 (which is part of the earlier "point 5" series) casts a wider and larger soundstage. And arguably a more nuanced presentation. "Holographic" is the term that strongly came to mind, on first impression.

The X150.8 has a punchier, denser sound, with more focused imaging and less width. And more forward, which can be a plus or minus, based on preference. I usually use DAVE as a preamp, and sometimes the OG Freya. Freya in tube mode gives it a very noticeable tube-like treatment in the typical ways, very euphonic and very enjoyable, even if I don't use it all the time. With the DAVE and M Scaler behind it, that configuration makes the Susvara a remarkably smooth listen.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #2,658 of 25,551
I assume you mean the X150.8? (as there's no such model as an XA 150.8)

There is a significant difference, to my ears. The INT-150 (which is part of the earlier "point 5" series) casts a wider and larger soundstage. And arguably a more nuanced presentation. "Holographic" is the term that strongly came to mind, on first impression.

The X150.8 has a punchier, denser sound, with more focused imaging and less width. And more forward, which can be a plus or minus, based on preference. I usually use DAVE as a preamp, and sometimes the OG Freya. Freya in tube mode gives it a very noticeable tube-like treatment in the typical ways, very euphonic and very enjoyable, even if I don't use it all the time. With the DAVE and M Scaler behind it, that configuration makes the Susvara a remarkably smooth listen.

So far, what amplifier pairing with DAVE/Mscaler to SUSVARA gives the best overall SQ in term as of transparency, detail retrieval and a holographic sound stage?

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #2,659 of 25,551
try the formula s preferably with the powerman

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #2,661 of 25,551
Is it worth it to get the powerman? I have the formula S. Is it a night and day difference or should i just get a power conditioner? Thanks

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #2,662 of 25,551
Is it worth it to get the powerman? I have the formula S. Is it a night and day difference or should i just get a power conditioner? Thanks

The Powerman makes a significant difference in my system (with a power conditioner in place, by the way).

More resolving, better imaging, better dynamics, smoother treble.

If I remove the Powerman from my chain the sound becomes comparatively flatter / duller. This is very easy to hear.

Night and day could be an exaggeration, but sure it is a solid upgrade.

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #2,663 of 25,551
Anyone compare the susvara to the abyss phi TC? My authorized dealer can't rave enough how good these sound. I just bought the susvara and couldn't justify buying another totl headphone without hearing what others have to say. Thanks

Jul 2, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #2,664 of 25,551
Anyone compare the susvara to the abyss phi TC? My authorized dealer can't rave enough how good these sound. I just bought the susvara and couldn't justify buying another totl headphone without hearing what others have to say. Thanks
I replied in the 1266 thread about that, you could read it there

Jul 2, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #2,666 of 25,551

Any critical listening comparisons between the new phi 1266 TC and Hifiman Susvara. Would consider running from Dave/Mscaler plus a good speaker amp like Pass Labs XA25 or Benchmark AHB2.

I was skeptical of the value of adding the powerman to my formula s but was rather amazed at how much improvement there was when i did....with the powerman the music actually sounded louder as if there was more power simply because the background is blacker...eerily silent....everything in this crazy hobby is on the margin but this was a more substantial upgrade than i expected

Jul 3, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #2,667 of 25,551
My take away is that if you like Utopia, you will certainly like SR1A. If you are a Hifiman/Audeze kind of dude, you really need to try it first.
I own and love the Utopia, but wouldn't listen to an SR1A if someone gave it to me. FWIW, I also loved the Susvara when I auditioned it at CanJam last month.

Jul 3, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #2,668 of 25,551
Even if a listener doesn’t find the Susvara being 6k good, that is because he/she is no Dr. I know a Dr. who certify and justify the Susvara as a 6K being. You just have to be there to understand, because it sound that good.

One problem as I see it concerning a comparison between the Abyss 1266 TC and Susvara involves the power requirements of the Susvara. From all that I have read, the Susvara really comes to life on a high quality speaker amp driven direct. I think the only fair comparison would need to be with both headphones driven by the likes of a Pass Labs speaker amp. As far as price, large discounts can be found for Susvara with costs close to $4500. The PHI 1266 is not really discounted and probably more expensive in the end unless the amp adds much more to the package.

Jul 3, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #2,669 of 25,551
As I could heard susvara is not so power demanding as he6... And in my opinion sounds better with tube amps...

Jul 3, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #2,670 of 25,551
I’m still enjoying the McIntosh MHA150 and MCT80 pair with the Susvara using the HE-Adaptor. Since moving I’ve been listening to my 803 D3 speakers more than any headphones. It’s been taking months to find the perfect positioning. I think I’ve finally found it and will finally set up a sub and light EQ to iron out remaining kinks due to room modes.

The first thing I'd do with that room is lay down a large area rug. I find Persian ones to sound the best... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back