HiFiMan Susvara
Jul 7, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #243 of 25,604
i'll be sure to give the susvara a listen next time i visit my local headphone dealer and compare it to the utopia which is my overall favourite totl can, and report back

Jul 7, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #245 of 25,604
Whoever is writing a review or whatever, namely @Edwood. I believe this question was asked before by others too.
HFm disclosed that he won it from the "giveaway" which could be "rigged", we would just never know. Because it was a public "giveaway" it is not adhered to FCA. He has full rights to whether or not to disclose the origin of it ownership

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #246 of 25,604
he probably has full rights whether to even post on head fi after that abuse....

Jul 7, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #249 of 25,604
What/which abuse are you referring to?

He got personally attacked in the other thread... post was reported and taken down.

Yes he won the Susvara, and I really like hearing @Edwood talking about them and posting impressions and photos, so keep it up and don't let people bring you down, the more impressions the better :L3000:

Jul 8, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #252 of 25,604
I would love a comparison between Stax 009 and hifiman susvara...

Not going to happen, It was already stated that 009 and SusVara are two different Headphones with too much differences. Idk about any one else, but to me, that is an affirmation that 009 is superior

Well, I did have that combo as a loaner a couple of years ago. But I decided to keep this review comparison more "apples to apples" and leave electrostatic tech out, since it's a completely different headphone type. (i.e. amps and headphones aren't interchangeable.

See ? To me this is not about the saying "apples to apples"

SusVara is 6K vs 009 at 4K
Both are open back
Both are TOTL from a company

But I guess since we are talking about apples to apples, it just plain out meaning that SusVara is a dynamic headphones, and in comparison about technology principles and it pinnacle, Electro Stat is superior. This, right here, means 009 is superior

Now, a used 009 in good condition with a used KGSSHV Carbon can really be had for 6K :)

One of the reason why I value Focal Utopia a lot is that it is so efficient and easy to drive. It sounds great out of a walkman Wm1z and can scale up pretty crazily. It performances get so close to 009, together with it Portability, craftsmanship, it was one of my best purchase. Utopia wasn't shy away and or afraid to compare against 009 though

I would be more interested in SusVara vs Utopia. I can already see and predict the results, some (early adopter) people would personally prefer SusVara, and some (later folk) would prefer Utopia! One thing is for sure. The Utopia is so easy to drive to performances right into a DAP, now let's see how SusVara would compare up to that

Talk about exotics, Utopia has Carbon fibers and Beryllium, SusVara probably has angles and heaven voices. Given that both has Special and unique magnets constructions

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #253 of 25,604
"With too much differences" exactly, I want to learn about the differences between them. Also there are actually a lot of people who prefer "Abyss ab 1266" to "sr 009", so "susvara" being better than 009 shouldn't be a surprise.

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #254 of 25,604
"With too much differences" exactly, I want to learn about the differences between them. Also there are actually a lot of people who prefer "Abyss ab 1266" to "sr 009", so "susvara" being better than 009 shouldn't be a surprise.
Well, when it comes to high-end performances like these, we all need to know what the Headphones is paired with. We can't simply say people preferred A in comparison to B without knowing what it is connected to. I know Utopia out of GSX MKII is still only close to 009 and BHSE. Do I prefer Utopia over 009 ? Yeah, because Utopia is awesome out of my Walkman WM1Z, and Stax ? Forget it, it always need an amp and DAC. When I sit down though, 009 is the one I always grab for, and that doesn't mean I value Utopia any less. I love both as each of them is uniquely done and perform in different ways

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #255 of 25,604
Maybe i am right or maybe I am wrong, but the best thing about headfi is Impressions and comparisons, isn't it? Abyss thread has a lot of comparisons and people have also listed their gears(Amps and dacs) in comparisons. You should check that thread out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back