HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 21, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #19,697 of 25,688
I'm sure this question would have been asked and answered before but I've not been able to find it in this thread - so apologies if that's the case!

I'm considering upgrading my HE1000se to the Susvara; however, I'm worried if my Burson Soloist 3XP will be enough for the Sus to make it sound clearly better than the HEKse. Power-wise it is surely enough, and I've read opinions before that it's one of the best reasonably-priced amps for the Sus. I'm just wondering if it's good enough to warrant my parting with the HEKse. I'm kind of ready to let the HEKse go, having experienced my Utopia scale fantastically with the new gear and HEKse not so much. I just wouldn't want to end up in a position where I have a theoretically better headphone but unable to spread its wings and therefore effectively sounding less engaging than the HEKse.

Any advice (especially from experience) would be greatly appreciated 😃

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #19,698 of 25,688
I'm sure this question would have been asked and answered before but I've not been able to find it in this thread - so apologies if that's the case!

I'm considering upgrading my HE1000se to the Susvara; however, I'm worried if my Burson Soloist 3XP will be enough for the Sus to make it sound clearly better than the HEKse. Power-wise it is surely enough, and I've read opinions before that it's one of the best reasonably-priced amps for the Sus. I'm just wondering if it's good enough to warrant my parting with the HEKse. I'm kind of ready to let the HEKse go, having experienced my Utopia scale fantastically with the new gear and HEKse not so much. I just wouldn't want to end up in a position where I have a theoretically better headphone but unable to spread its wings and therefore effectively sounding less engaging than the HEKse.

I'd stay with the HEKse until you're ready to upgrade the amp as well

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #19,701 of 25,688
I second that
I agree

and having owned the hekse I think the reason that the hekse may not have scaled up as much as the utopia is that the hekse are so good out of anything to start with (eg ipad or iPhone). For me, one of their key strengths.

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #19,702 of 25,688

The Susvara’s are very amp picky. The HEKse’s not so much in comparison. I spent years building around the Susvara’s amp chasing, letting them go and going back to the HEKse’s was the best move for me. I was finally able to enjoy listening. It’s something to think about

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #19,703 of 25,688
I agree

and having owned the hekse I think the reason that the hekse may not have scaled up as much as the utopia is that the hekse are so good out of anything to start with (eg ipad or iPhone). For me, one of their key strengths.
Yeah, they're good. I personally think the Utopia is so good at nuances and depth that it's just by contrast that the HEKse seems to scale less.

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #19,704 of 25,688
The Susvara’s are very amp picky. The HEKse’s not so much in comparison. I spent years building around the Susvara’s amp chasing, letting them go and going back to the HEKse’s was the best move for me. I was finally able to enjoy listening. It’s something to think about
Thanks for that opinion and for all the other ones, guys. I think I'd be setting myself up for disappointment as I wouldn't be able to test different gear anytime soon.

I've also been considering looking at the Caldera but I'm starting to think that the HEKse might be a better complement to the Utopia as Caldera will probably sound a bit more like a dynamic driver headphone whereas HEKse is very different (very transparent, sometimes a little sterile but overall very "clean").

Jan 21, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #19,705 of 25,688
I’ve just got a Luxman 750u, which sounds absolutely awesome with Susvara.

I also have a Ferrum Oor, which has always been considered a great pairing with Sus, but so far I must say that the Luxman is giving me more dynamics and bass punch. It also has a slightly warmer sound, which I’m loving.

Has anyone had any experience with Luxman 750u and Susvara? Thoughts?

441EEB12-B406-4A8A-B137-16F7EA9D7551.jpeg
Yes, when I had both the Luxman and Susvara I loved the pairing. The sound was full-bodied and dynamic. The Luxman is one of the best dedicated solid state amps for the Susvara because of that little added warmth that made it such a musical pairing.
This is good to hear. I have the Luxman p-750u and LOVE it with my Meze Elite but I'm thinking if going the Susvara route and was worried about the Lux driving the Susvara. I thought I would have to go amplifier shopping.

Jan 21, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #19,706 of 25,688
I've also been considering looking at the Caldera but I'm starting to think that the HEKse might be a better complement to the Utopia as Caldera will probably sound a bit more like a dynamic driver headphone whereas HEKse is very different (very transparent, sometimes a little sterile but overall very "clean").

I highly recommend a Caldera. It is not particularly hard to drive (and scales with good amping), and works great with a good solid-state amp as well. What you’ve been reading about its dynamic-like nature is its timbral qualities, which are amazing, as this is where planars struggle sometimes. But it is a planner headphone, and has all fantastic frequency extensions (both in bass and treble) that great planners do, with outstanding resolution and imaging. It is in short a both highly enjoyable and strong technical performer. I’ve written in the past on it and compared it to the Susvara. TLDR is they are different enough that owning both is highly complementary (link to my writeup in my signature below)

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #19,707 of 25,688
This is good to hear. I have the Luxman p-750u and LOVE it with my Meze Elite but I'm thinking if going the Susvara route and was worried about the Lux driving the Susvara. I thought I would have to go amplifier shopping.
The Luxman was quite good with the Susvara's and one of the most enjoyable pairings actually. I liked the combo very much when I had them. The thing that got me was the thought of was I getting the most out of the Susvara's. I could have easily been happy with the combo if it wasn't for these urges. The problem is the Susvara's scale unlike any other headphone I've owned. They WANT to be feed power. So those thoughts will always be there until you are satisfied with what you have.

Jan 21, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #19,708 of 25,688
Yeah, they're good. I personally think the Utopia is so good at nuances and depth that it's just by contrast that the HEKse seems to scale less.
I found things a little different - maybe because of our different gear. I mostly used the v280 and auralic taurus amp when had both hekse and utopia. liked them both because i found them both very detailed but they just did it differently

when i bought the susvara, only after buying the niimbus us4, i sold the hekse as i liked the fuller sound of the utopia v hekse.

i still enjoy the utopia as a compliment to the susvaras - which from my experience need a quality powerful amp to shine and justify the cost of them…..and then the cost of the amp, if you can justify all that cost (and related benefit) for yourself

Jan 21, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #19,709 of 25,688
The Luxman was quite good with the Susvara's and one of the most enjoyable pairings actually. I liked the combo very much when I had them. The thing that got me was the thought of was I getting the most out of the Susvara's. I could have easily been happy with the combo if it wasn't for these urges. The problem is the Susvara's scale unlike any other headphone I've owned. They WANT to be feed power. So those thoughts will always be there until you are satisfied with what you have.
You said exactly what I was thinking. I have a feeling I will greatly enjoy the combination of Susvara and Luxman but my enjoyment will always have an bit of concern wondering if I am getting the most out of my Susvara while I'm listening.

Ugh...😠

Jan 21, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #19,710 of 25,688
You said exactly what I was thinking. I have a feeling I will greatly enjoy the combination of Susvara and Luxman but my enjoyment will always have an bit of concern wondering if I am getting the most out of my Susvara while I'm listening.

Ugh...😠
Haha, yes this hobby can be very frustrating at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back