HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 21, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #19,726 of 25,932
let amp ma

I don't have a specific knowledge of this amp, but yes in general a converter box may eliminate the hiss. So may a passive filter cable on the heapdphone side (can make custom for any terminations, e.g. https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/passive-filters/)

that said, it may be worth understanding the source of your noise and elimiante it, as the above may have mild trade offs for the signal path

I'd check the following:
(1) How clean is your power source -- try adding a great power conditioner (here, too, experimenting has different results in quality; but reduction in noise will let you know this is the issue and you can invest further)
(2) Are any of your cables subject to EMI or RR interfernce?
>> If you have any tube components try to distance them a bit, same for computer gear, cell phones, other electronics. And same for power sources of compoenents
>> Check how well shielded your interconnects are. If you are using any RCAs, trying to replace them wtih XLR if possible. If not, and either case, try to create distance between all your various cables, and if they have to cross each other's path, ideally at right angle (rather than bundled in parallel and close to each other)

good luck!
As silly as this sounds, I had hiss in my system and eliminated it when I realized it was coming from the fluorescent under-cabinet lights in my kitchen downstairs which I turned on after dark. I now make sure they are off when it's music time. :)

As Goldwerger says, its all about clean power.

Jan 21, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #19,727 of 25,932
That's very interesting, especially since you have the same amp as me. Only having access to the Burson - is there anything about the Suvara that makes you wanna go back to the HEKse or are they a clear step-up everywhere?
This is not the same, but I will intone- there is nothing in the Arya's that make me want to go back, in fact, I'm starting to contemplate selling them now. Everything- everywhere is a step up from there. Sorry though, you weren't asking about them.

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #19,728 of 25,932
i still enjoy the utopia as a compliment to the susvaras - which from my experience need a quality powerful amp to shine and justify the cost of them…..and then the cost of the amp, if you can justify all that cost (and related benefit) for yourself
I am abit late to the conversation, but this is where I am at currently, Susvara + Utopia complements each other so well

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #19,729 of 25,932
Thanks for sharing that. It sounds like at one point you had both the Susvara and the HEKse at your disposal. Do you remember your impressions of the Sus when you were still used to the HEKse's sound? And a comparison to the Utopia would be very interesting too as I also find the Utopia sounding fuller (albeit less airy) than the HEKse.
on my niimbus us4 the susvaras increased the micro details. Not massively but noticeably. Things like the breath of singers or hearing the bow of a cello being drawn across the strings (maybe i just fooled myself i to thinking that second one).

essentially more nuances. I have Not heard anything more TRANSPARENT than the susvaras WHEN DRIVEN WELL.

with the v280 the susvaras were underpowered. it sinply sounded like the amp dod not have enough weight or control.

with the taurus, which from memory was just over 2watts, the susvaras were a pleasant sound but that’s all. Eg pleasant in the mids but no control on bottom end.

I can’t say the susvaras are worth the upgrade from the hekse if you are enjoying the hekse. For me it was an indulgence to buy the susvaras and suitable amp. Not a common sense approach but more for the sheer joy the susvaras’s transparency gives me

fwiw now that i have the niimbus and susvaras, for 2 years, i am not looking for another solid state amp and have not heard another hp that has bettered the susvaras. Including the abyss tc 1266.

so it’s (so far) been pretty solid end game for me.

the utopias and hekse i consider as great hps but the susvaras are exceptional - ie the next step up. Or maybe half step but nonetheless a very expensive step up, relatively speaking.

hope that helps a bit

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #19,730 of 25,932
So recently bought a pair of Susvaras that came with Dekoni Sheepskins. they sound good but a bit of me wants to hear them with the stock pads. Is changing the pads a challenged? Anything to look out for when doing it?

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #19,731 of 25,932
So recently bought a pair of Susvaras that came with Dekoni Sheepskins. they sound good but a bit of me wants to hear them with the stock pads. Is changing the pads a challenged? Anything to look out for when doing it?
stock pads sound better to me but dekoni comfort is better so I'm willing to trade a bit less SQ for far more comfort... it's a challenge at first but not after you do it 2-3 times. Don't be too forceful, though nothing to be afraid of, bend the plastic rings a little, will make it easy to remove or install

Jan 22, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #19,732 of 25,932
on my niimbus us4 the susvaras increased the micro details. Not massively but noticeably. Things like the breath of singers or hearing the bow of a cello being drawn across the strings (maybe i just fooled myself i to thinking that second one).

essentially more nuances. I have Not heard anything more TRANSPARENT than the susvaras WHEN DRIVEN WELL.

with the v280 the susvaras were underpowered. it sinply sounded like the amp dod not have enough weight or control.

with the taurus, which from memory was just over 2watts, the susvaras were a pleasant sound but that’s all. Eg pleasant in the mids but no control on bottom end.

I can’t say the susvaras are worth the upgrade from the hekse if you are enjoying the hekse. For me it was an indulgence to buy the susvaras and suitable amp. Not a common sense approach but more for the sheer joy the susvaras’s transparency gives me

fwiw now that i have the niimbus and susvaras, for 2 years, i am not looking for another solid state amp and have not heard another hp that has bettered the susvaras. Including the abyss tc 1266.

so it’s (so far) been pretty solid end game for me.

the utopias and hekse i consider as great hps but the susvaras are exceptional - ie the next step up. Or maybe half step but nonetheless a very expensive step up, relatively speaking.

hope that helps a bit
Yet for folks who “prefer” more body, fullness, dynamics, and weight, Amps like Boulder 812, Mytek empire, and Wells Headtrip III might be better choices, niimbus is detailed, transparent and clean especially at its price range but could be a tad lean and thin sounding and analytical as many entry and mid range solid state amps, which also seem typical between high end and mid range solid state amps in both electrostatic and non electrostatic world.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #19,733 of 25,932
Yet for folks who prefer more body, fullness, dynamics, and weight, Amps like Boulder 812, Mytek empire, and Wells Headtrip III might be better choices, niimbus is detailed, transparent and clean especially at its price range but could be a tad lean as many entry and mid range solid state amps, which also seems to be one of the typical differences between high end and mid range solid state amps in both electrostatic and non electrostatic world.
absolutely - pick your poison/flavour.

Jan 22, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #19,735 of 25,932
Clear step up all round for me. Audio is subjective thing but that would be my opinion. Also i dont belive 13r is the ultimate amp for sus now. According to goldensound and CMA, holo bliss and hm1 is the amp for susvara currently

There is no ultimate amp for them, or any headphone really. It's all a matter of preference. But sure, there's 4-5 that many find as a great pairing.

The one thing to mention reading the past few pages, for people that don't want to splurge on an absolute TOTL amp, I would absolutely explore speaker amps. You do not need a $10k headphone amp to make them sing. There are plenty of speaker amps under $2k that will run circles around most headphone amps and perform just as good most of the TOTL headphone amps. The search can be a bit daunting, but there's no reason to feel like you can't get the most out of the Susvara without paying that kind of money.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #19,736 of 25,932
Forgive me if this has been discussed but I'm not going through over 1,300 pages so here's my quick question...

I have Susvara on order. I decided to skip playing around with headphone amplifiers and go directly to shopping for integrated amplifiers and use its binding posts to drive the Susvara.
I've read that for the Susvara, it's not necessarily about power but it's about current. Can anyone recommend solid state integrated amplifiers that have lots of current for the Susvara?
I would like to keep it under $2,000, new or used.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #19,737 of 25,932
Tube Amplifer or Solid State Amplifier?

Jan 22, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #19,739 of 25,932
Forgive me if this has been discussed but I'm not going through over 1,300 pages so here's my quick question...

I have Susvara on order. I decided to skip playing around with headphone amplifiers and go directly to shopping for integrated amplifiers and use its binding posts to drive the Susvara.
I've read that for the Susvara, it's not necessarily about power but it's about current. Can anyone recommend solid state integrated amplifiers that have lots of current for the Susvara?
I would like to keep it under $2,000, new or used.

Thanks.
Kinki EX-M1 might be worth a shot on the used market. I used one for a good while with the Susvara. Not a bass heavy amp, but excels in other areas for the money.

https://www.kinki-studio.com/ex-m1

Jan 22, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #19,740 of 25,932

Users who are viewing this thread

Back