HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 29, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #19,486 of 26,687
Dec 29, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #19,487 of 26,687
Hehe.

Also, since there's a growing sense of amp-talk fatigue on this thread, I would suggest a shift in focus to, say, headphone cables instead. Audiophilia nervosa is best fed with a simultaneous focus on a diversity of product categories. An over-fixation on just a single topic (amps, in this case) leads the nervosa to naturally subside somewhat, leaving a person with nothing left to do but listen to music, not equipment.

But in seriousness, I've been evaluating the Lazuli Reference Plus recently on a couple amps and headphones, and have started formulating thoughts. Mostly that I think that it is surprisingly warm. I am really liking it with the AHB2 and Susvara. Anyone with an unfounded prejudice with regards to the AHB2's tonality or musicality would do well to hear this specific combo.

That's all for now, gotta do more listening to my premium, highly un-ergonomic headphone cable while trying to convince myself that at heart I'm really a music lover.

Dec 29, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #19,489 of 26,687
d
Hehe.

Also, since there's a growing sense of amp-talk fatigue on this thread, I would suggest a shift in focus to, say, headphone cables instead. Audiophilia nervosa is best fed with a simultaneous focus on a diversity of product categories. An over-fixation on just a single topic (amps, in this case) leads the nervosa to naturally subside somewhat, leaving a person with nothing left to do but listen to music, not equipment.

But in seriousness, I've been evaluating the Lazuli Reference Plus recently on a couple amps and headphones, and have started formulating thoughts. Mostly that I think that it is surprisingly warm. I am really liking it with the AHB2 and Susvara. Anyone with an unfounded prejudice with regards to the AHB2's tonality or musicality would do well to hear this specific combo.

That's all for now, gotta do more listening to my premium, highly un-ergonomic headphone cable while trying to convince myself that at heart I'm really a music lover.
I love Dana references cable a lot for SUS which is a bit too heavy though. It would be perfect for a system that leans to bright.

I also have been using the discounted ALO Reference 16 which truly alleviated the combo with Ifi BL to an extraordinary level. ALO is kind enough to reterminate the cable connectors from 2.5 to 3.5 after the change.

I tried the stock cable of SUS with HD800s with adapters with surprisingly positive results.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #19,491 of 26,687
To anyone thats tried both how does Hifimans Shangri-La compare to the legendary Susvara?
I don’t think susvara lovers will definitively love Shangri SR, well depending on the specific systems.

Out of stock, i personally think Aperio better embodys the HiFi philosophy of Dr. Fang and Corporate goal of Hifiman in that Aperio sounds more correct, neutral, and referencing with less colorization to my ears and liking, but then it is restricted by the AIO format especially for the amplification.

Don’t get me wrong Shangrila SR is definitely a state of art that could be entilted as legendary works especially its technicalities which could be crowned and I know folks in Asia bought Shangrila SR system and prefer it over HE-1. Also it is said the stock tubes could give Shangrila SR more bass comparatively speaking. Synergy wise, the original system matches well with totaldac, accordingly.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #19,492 of 26,687
I don’t think susvara lovers will definitively love Shangri SR, well depending on the specific systems.

Out of stock, i personally think Aperio better embodys the HiFi philosophy of Dr. Fang and Corporate goal of Hifiman in that Aperio sounds more correct, neutral, and referencing with less colorization, but then it is restricted by the AIO format especially for the amplification.
I suspect that the Shang Jr is closer to the Susvara. The few times I have heard the Shang Sr (albeit in show conditions), what came to mind was the HE-6.

Dec 30, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #19,493 of 26,687

AHB2? What happened to amp-talk fatigue and trying to get rid of it? Never mind :)

blown-away-maxell-tape-ad.gif

Dec 30, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #19,495 of 26,687
Been on holiday with the family for a few days and dutifully read through a hundred posts or so to catch up. It’s nice to see some fresh topics :)

On DSD - I’d also add Octave Records (https://www.psaudio.com/product-category/octave-artist-masters/) - their catalog is tiny, but they record 100% in DSD, which is rather unique (and challenging since DSP would requires conversion to PCM so staying pure at recording stage is a serious commitment afaik).

But it can give you a great opportunity to hear the potential of such recording (if you have a DSD DAC to play it on so no conversions throughout). They offer both DSD downloads and SACD

Two albums I purchased that are beautifully recorded are: (1) Temporary Circumstances by Clandestine Amigo (vocal), and (2) Bach Cello Suites by Zuill Bailey (classical).

On cables - a friend came over with his 1266 and Dana Cable Reference and Nirvana cables. I tried them with both the Susvara and Atrium headphones (with adaptors) and was surprised by their impact. I found them to really open the soundstage and increase resolution (with both). They are incredibly heavy and stiff (kind of makes sense they are popular with with 1266 owners:wink:), and their weight and quality goes up hand in hand.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #19,496 of 26,687
On DSD - I’d also add Octave Records
Thanks for the recommendation! Flipping through their catalog and already like some of the albums 👍🏼

Dec 30, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #19,497 of 26,687
Are you thinking about C.E.C. or something from Japan in general?
As I have bought a CH Precision P1 Phono Stage (and am so impressed with it's amazing performance) and plan to buy a CH X1 Power Supply for the P1 some time next year, I will most probably follow a long future path of 10+ years be replacing my 2 of Chord Electronics Choral Systems with CH Precision Series 1 gear which will include their D1.5 SACD Transporter & C1.2 DAC along with their L1 Pre-Amp & A1.5 Power Amp(s).

Dec 30, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #19,498 of 26,687
For some reasons I will listen only with Susvara for the next 9-10 days. Nothing too fancy here, only direct from the back of Chord TT2. I have to admit there are some love/hate relationship with Susvara, but after tried basically all other TOTLs, Susvara remain as one of my most favourite flagship out there (Still not in the level that I would spend multi kilo bucks to build set up around it though).

Anyway, good to be "back" to listen Susvara daily again. Currently playing Sigrid - How To Let Go Album, Up Close version (intimate recording with acoustic only instrument). Definitely Sigrid's raw emotion from her vocal sound beautiful here!
If you can, try and listen to your Susvara with a borrowed TOTL Headphone or Speaker Amp with the TT2 (and if you can get / borrow an M Scaler to go with your TT2) as your DAC source. You will be amazed how great the Susvara is then which will be way better than the TT2 !

Dec 30, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #19,499 of 26,687
but of course you arent listening to the hi-rez version that way
Yep, that is true 'jibrach'. One day hopefully I will be able to play the hi-rez of my SACDs

Dec 30, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #19,500 of 26,687

Users who are viewing this thread

Back