HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 28, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #19,471 of 26,687
This is definitely not true. A lot of SACD/DSD nowadays like the a lot of the ones from 2L uses DXD as original source and only converts to DSD before publishing. Which is 24/352.8 PCM, not tapes.
Ok, and 2L is not "most SACD and DSD titles". They are a specific label, and this day and age they can and do just sell their recordings as straight DXD. They aren't the only ones to use DXD, but if you scan through the various titles you will find more recordings from tape than DXD or 16/44.1.

The problem with DXD is that although it is a better working format, it doesn't sound as good. It's certainly better than upsampling a CD.

Dec 29, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #19,472 of 26,687
KT150 in Odyssey and KT170 in U-amp. The big boys tubes have been rolled in. I can't help smiling crazily because Susvara is singing now ! Well more than singing. It's doing crazy stuff. It's a tsunami.

KT170 in U-amp is explosive. For the love of God, Eric please call it by any name but U-amp.

IMG_5539.jpg

Dec 29, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #19,473 of 26,687
Ok, and 2L is not "most SACD and DSD titles". They are a specific label, and this day and age they can and do just sell their recordings as straight DXD. They aren't the only ones to use DXD, but if you scan through the various titles you will find more recordings from tape than DXD or 16/44.1.

The problem with DXD is that although it is a better working format, it doesn't sound as good. It's certainly better than upsampling a CD.
NativeDSD has over 2x the amount of DXD compared to Analog tapes. 2L using DXD is just an example.

And out of the ones that does originate from analog tapes, there are a good chunk of them that transfers to DXD before released as DSD for mixing or mastering. Like This one.

I don't know what else to tell you. Analog to DSD transfers really isn't as common as you think.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #19,474 of 26,687
NativeDSD has over 2x the amount of DXD compared to Analog tapes. 2L using DXD is just an example.

And out of the ones that does originate from analog tapes, there are a good chunk of them that transfers to DXD before released as DSD for mixing or mastering. Like This one.

I don't know what else to tell you. Analog to DSD transfers really isn't as common as you think.
I appreciate what they do, but how many established record labels do they sell? How much music other than classical or jazz?

It may well be that contemporary classical now represents a majority of releases in DSD, but what actually sold on SACD was Dark Side of The Moon, and Thriller etc.

The link above showed that one release out of several used DXD, but the liner notes are unclear as it says DXD was used to create a DSD512 file, which leaves some questions.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #19,475 of 26,687
I hear this a lot, but it is IMO quite heavily overstated. There were quite a few upsampled titles in the very early days of SACD (from various PCM sample rates) because Sony envisioned SACD as an output format that had the advantage of avoiding PCM filtering/processing. It still does have that advantage, unless your dac already does DSD upsampling. For whatever reason, some of those still sound great.

And what was the case more often were recordings done at 44.1khz or 48khz, mixed to tape, then mastered via analog to DSD.

There were also recordings I believe by MoFi that were converted to PCM to do Plangent Process (a dsp that corrects tape flutter).

Most SACD and DSD titles come from tape masters.
Most of my SACDs are Original Master Recording versions which playing through my Chord Blu upsampled to 706kHz to my DAVE then onto my EF1000 and Susvara sounds fantastic. Was my first choice but now my second choice after my vinyl source (especially Master Recording versions on vinyl).

Dec 29, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #19,476 of 26,687
Most of my SACDs are Original Master Recording versions which playing through my Chord Blu upsampled to 706kHz to my DAVE then onto my EF1000 and Susvara sounds fantastic.
Chord Blu? Isn’t it a regular CD transport? SACD needs to be played with SACD transport, otherwise it plays only 16,44 layer, just like regular CD.

Dec 29, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #19,477 of 26,687
Chord Blu? Isn’t it a regular CD transport? SACD needs to be played with SACD transport, otherwise it plays only 16,44 layer, just like regular CD.
Yes that is correct 'Ragnar-BY'.
All my SACDs are hybrids and therefore can be played on a regular CD player / transporter.
However the Hybrid SACDs still sound a step up from a regular CD via my Blu & DAVE.
One day I will buy a dedicated TOTL SACD to hear the true quality of my SACDs.

Dec 29, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #19,479 of 26,687
For some reasons I will listen only with Susvara for the next 9-10 days. Nothing too fancy here, only direct from the back of Chord TT2. I have to admit there are some love/hate relationship with Susvara, but after tried basically all other TOTLs, Susvara remain as one of my most favourite flagship out there (Still not in the level that I would spend multi kilo bucks to build set up around it though).

Anyway, good to be "back" to listen Susvara daily again. Currently playing Sigrid - How To Let Go Album, Up Close version (intimate recording with acoustic only instrument). Definitely Sigrid's raw emotion from her vocal sound beautiful here!

Dec 29, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #19,480 of 26,687
For some reasons I will listen only with Susvara for the next 9-10 days. Nothing too fancy here, only direct from the back of Chord TT2. I have to admit there are some love/hate relationship with Susvara, but after tried basically all other TOTLs, Susvara remain as one of my most favourite flagship out there (Still not in the level that I would spend multi kilo bucks to build set up around it though).

Anyway, good to be "back" to listen Susvara daily again. Currently playing Sigrid - How To Let Go Album, Up Close version (intimate recording with acoustic only instrument). Definitely Sigrid's raw emotion from her vocal sound beautiful here!
I had promised myself not to post any more about the TT2 or and how well any amp drives the super hard headphones but apparently I can't control myself.... yes it drives Sus well but I wouldn't say it makes Susvara sing, if you understand me correctly :)

Dec 29, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #19,482 of 26,687
Yes that is correct 'Ragnar-BY'.
All my SACDs are hybrids and therefore can be played on a regular CD player / transporter.
However the Hybrid SACDs still sound a step up from a regular CD via my Blu & DAVE.
One day I will buy a dedicated TOTL SACD to hear the true quality of my SACDs.
but of course you arent listening to the hi-rez version that way

Dec 29, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #19,483 of 26,687

I use the TT2/MScaler Combo as my DAC but play the Susvaras off the Riviera AIC-10. This combo does make it sing. You don’t have to go that expensive. There are a lot of class D amps that will drive the Susvara's with authority. Especially on the used market.

Dec 29, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #19,485 of 26,687

Users who are viewing this thread

Back