HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 20, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #19,201 of 26,664
Same here when I received my Riviera AIC-10. I choose it over Hifiman’s HF-1000 since it’s had only one tube to roll. It’s a beast. I can’t wait until I receive my Zahl HM1.
Nice!
Are you using the Prion4 cable with your current set up?
I am for the moment, until the Chimera arrives someday. I do find that a solid silver cable with the HM1 is a bit bright and intense, but the technicalities are as yet unmatched.

Dec 20, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #19,202 of 26,664
the susvara most certainly does not lack bass
Especially on the CFA3! :L3000:

The CFA-3 drive the Susvara very well indeed. As far as bass (and I am one of those who like the ths Susvara's bass), I have slightly different impressions (which are emerging) -- I find the CFA-3 adds more resolution to the upper frequencies and opens up the sound stage even further, while my Auris Nirvana has deeper bass and texture. I am not sure if this is representative of SS vs. TC or in specific. But I do love the Susvara on both, with these varying falvors.

Dec 20, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #19,203 of 26,664
Just playing with an idea here:

From time to time we read members who are (usually) new to susvaras say it lacks bass.

If you, like me, disagree then please like this comment. So from now on we can refer members to this post (post #19203) and assist with any reservations they may have.

DECLARATION:
We, the below mentioned (who have liked this post), believe that when driven well the susvaras do not lack in bass:

Dec 20, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #19,205 of 26,664
Have you tried the Sol P with the AHB2? This combo creates the biggest soundstage I’ve ever had. The instruments are literally out of my head and for the first time I‘m listening to orchestral pieces comfortably.

I was enjoying the Solitaire P with the AHB2 until just a short while ago, and liked the combo a good deal. I decided to let the Solitaire P go because I decided I might get more enjoyment out of a certain other (incoming) headphone instead. But I'm a big fan of the Solitaire P regardless, and will miss it. I also liked how well it paired with speaker amps in general.

Speaking for myself only, I feel like the Susvara gives me a fuller, more "musical", encompassing, and net-enjoyable sound. But the Soli-P does many things just as well in a different way, and I think its bass is actually more interesting and more satisfying...

Dec 20, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #19,206 of 26,664
They may have been underwhelmed by the EF1000 with the Susvara due to poor source inputs like at some of the Canjam shows where it has appeared for demo !

If you think having a TOTL input source into a poor quality amp will make the Susvaras sound at their best or even just great, you are grossly mistaken '801evan' !

It is with simple deduction then that the best Susvara experience is through a proper signal chain and a good transport. Your statement proves more power on the amplifier end promises zero performance benefits or immunity from the upstream chain. Meanwhile I'm having a better experience with the smsl dp5 mod with only 63mw power vs a 16w amplifier chain.

So, I'm glad you agree. If you have $ to splash on an expensive amp, that's your perogative but it doesn't make one be in a position where they are better than someone with a 64mw amp.

Ergo, there's should be more discussion on transport and signal chain vs amplifier lusting.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #19,207 of 26,664
It is with simple deduction then that the best Susvara experience is through a proper signal chain and a good transport. Your statement proves more power on the amplifier end promises zero performance benefits or immunity from the upstream chain. Meanwhile I'm having a better experience with the smsl dp5 mod with only 63mw power vs a 16w amplifier chain.

So, I'm glad you agree. If you have $ to splash on an expensive amp, that's your perogative but it doesn't make one be in a position where they are better than someone with a 64mw amp.

Ergo, there's should be more discussion on transport and signal chain vs amplifier lusting.
One tangible place to look is the DAC output voltage. If the amp can handle it, the higher DAC output will result in a stronger signal to the headphones.

63mw, is that in the ballpark of a MacBook headphone jack?

Dec 21, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #19,208 of 26,664
Chord Anni with the Susvara.....lol :beyersmile:....... Oooo i think I will rush out and buy the Chord Anni and sell my EF1000 ! :beyersmile:
Same guy stating earlier in this thread that moon 430had won’t be able to drive susvara. Take it with a grain of salt :wink:

Dec 21, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #19,209 of 26,664
Its amazing how differently Susvara and Arya is to me now. I could not feel the difference before I tried a different dac, but same headamp.

I appreciate Susvara much more now and it justifies the price much better than before. Susvara has the perfect amount of bass, more will give me headache/fatigue. Arya just does something truly amazing with reverbs in the higher highs, Susvara falls of here honestly.

But Susvara makes me feel a part of the band…

Aryas highs brings out the character better here

Susvaras engagement wins here, I feel a part of the band.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #19,211 of 26,664
Same guy stating earlier in this thread that moon 430had won’t be able to drive susvara. Take it with a grain of salt :wink:

Its amazing how differently Susvara and Arya is to me now. I could not feel the difference before I tried a different dac, but same headamp.

I appreciate Susvara much more now and it justifies the price much better than before. Susvara has the perfect amount of bass, more will give me headache/fatigue. Arya just does something truly amazing with reverbs in the higher highs, Susvara falls of here honestly.

But Susvara makes me feel a part of the band…

Aryas highs brings out the character better here

Susvaras engagement wins here, I feel a part of the band.

yes.

There’s the personal audio / headphone “journey“ that we are on…..
and then there is the susvara and susvara thread journey one gets on as well.…
…… as our opinions, experiences, understanding and knowledge grow and alter.

(and our preferences can change too)

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #19,212 of 26,664
Hey i currently have a HE1000SE here and a Susvara on the way. My amp is a THX 887 so i have to check first if it has enough power for the Susvara when it's here. I think i even like the 1000V2 a bit more on that amp than the SE because the V2 is a bit smoother than the SE.
As my love for Arya keeps growing Im interested in same shape headphones.

The 1000SE looks really close ti Susvara in looks, which I really like. Sound is ofcourse 1st priority.

How smooth is the V2 vs SE. How to compare with Arya?

Dec 21, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #19,213 of 26,664
I do find that a solid silver cable with the HM1 is a bit bright and intense, but the technicalities are as yet unmatched.
As a Prion4 owner and I'm considering the HM1 this is very important feedback, thank you! Might need to look elsewhere.

Do you feel it's the same with both servo and regular modes?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #19,214 of 26,664
As a Prion4 owner and I'm considering the HM1 this is very important feedback, thank you! Might need to look elsewhere.

Do you feel it's the same with both servo and regular modes?
It is a bit sharper in servo, but I think I still prefer it, and then roll off some treble. I found the Prion4 worked with SS amps that were pretty smooth up top, but this is more accurate, for better or worse. You have to deal with some sharp treble you don't want, but the bass slam and control is excellent.

Bear in mind, the other cabling you are using makes an impact too. I've found in particular, my own power system has been just too much for some amps. I had a DCS Bartok for a bit, and with even the Empyrean, it was painful with the Prion4. Darker/warmer sounding cabling helped, but that whole system was just too harsh. (I blame DCS)

I guess what I'm saying, is you might be able to use the Prion4 and get good results, if you've got warmer/darker stuff upstream. But the HM1 will pass along any extended bandwidth or treble that it receives, and especially so with the Prion4.

Dec 21, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #19,215 of 26,664
the anni is actually a pretty good little amp
No doubt 'jibrach' (being a big Chord Electronics fan) for high efficiency headphones and speakers but not to get the best out of the Susvara with it's mediocre efficiency !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back