HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 20, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #19,186 of 26,661
Thanks for your explanation. To clarify, I don’t believe Susvara would improve significantly if you upgraded from Enleum 23R or Ferrum to EF1000 or other super expensive tube amps. Again, I listened to Susvara on multiple systems. They lack bass, and that’s a fact. If you happen to like that kind of sound, good for you :)
No bass lacking from my Susvaras with both my digital and analogue set-ups. If the music has bass I hear it all and if from natural instruments with textures as well.

Dec 20, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #19,187 of 26,661
I recommend the Bircasti M3 wholeheartedly. Been using it for about a year and it's really great. Detailed, spacious, and very beautiful sounding ("organic"). There are also some expensive models up that line that, purportedly, scale performance even further (but have no theard them myself).

For context, I find the Chord DACs to be a bit too bright and lean. I also appreciated the technicalities of the DCS and Lina, but they didn't move me.

People who's opininon I trust (and tastes I share) have high recommended both the Weiss (ss) and Lampizator (tube) - if I were looking for something new today, I'd definitely add them to my personal shortlist.

I've heard the Susvara on the AFC-10 (great amp!), connected to my Bricasti - it sounded oustandingly good to my ears with the Susvara, I think the synergy is great. My listening partner preferred his Matrix DAC wtih the riviera though, so it is definitely highly subjective.

If you can get any of these as demo units to test in your system, needless to say that's idea... :)
Attaching the Chord DAVE to an M Scaler with High Fidelity STORM digital BNC cables makes the DAVE sound a lot more natural and not so bright whilst still keeping it's amazing transparency and detail characteristics.

Dec 20, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #19,189 of 26,661
No one buys power amps to drive Susvara so they can listen at 130dB. That is not the point.

Susvara needs current to drive, a lot of it. And a lot of headphones amplifier can theoretically push a lot of power, but pushing a lot of current while maintaining quality is difficult task. A big chunk of headphone amps can advertise multiple watts of power, but the output becomes unusable way before the advertised limit. There  ARE headphones amps that does a lot of current without compromising in quality, but the choices are not a lot and the price can be very expensive.

This is where power amplifiers come in. They are made to drive speakers, which requires a lot of current. Which makes it a perfect choice for driving Susvara on a lower budget. With a lot of choices on top.

The <100mW amp narrative only works in following few cases:

1. It's clipping but you don't notice it
2. Your "music" choice has no transient peaks, that's why extra power is not needed
3. You are listening at much lower volume than others, thus the extra power is not needed.
4. You are making stuff up

Please stop posting these low powered amplifier nonsense. Power is simple, if you don't have enough power, you don't have enough power. No amount of grounding, transport quality can change this. End of discussion.
thank you,well said as one who has owned 2 susvara and took time to realize the power needs

Dec 20, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #19,190 of 26,661
Chord Anni with the Susvara.....lol :beyersmile:....... Oooo i think I will rush out and buy the Chord Anni and sell my EF1000 ! :beyersmile:
the anni is actually a pretty good little amp

Dec 20, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #19,191 of 26,661
Thanks for your explanation. To clarify, I don’t believe Susvara would improve significantly if you upgraded from Enleum 23R or Ferrum to EF1000 or other super expensive tube amps. Again, I listened to Susvara on multiple systems. They lack bass, and that’s a fact. If you happen to like that kind of sound, good for you :)
the susvara most certainly does not lack bass

Dec 20, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #19,192 of 26,661
Dec 20, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #19,193 of 26,661
Dec 20, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #19,195 of 26,661
Wanted to add, someone mentioned that the Envy did not have enough power for the Susvara. I am sure they were not on the highest gain setting. I am barely using 25% of the volume pot. Too much power!

Dec 20, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #19,196 of 26,661
the susvara most certainly does not lack bass
I thought it wasn't the most bass heavy at first, but with my current setup the bass leaves nothing to be desired. Very impressive.

Where something else like 1266TC has more bass quantity, you have to start really messing with the total balance, and Susvara keeps things in correct proportion.

Dec 20, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #19,197 of 26,661
I thought it wasn't the most bass heavy at first, but with my current setup the bass leaves nothing to be desired. Very impressive.

Where something else like 1266TC has more bass quantity, you have to start really messing with the total balance, and Susvara keeps things in correct proportion.
Did you feel like this after getting the HM1? Or did you feel this with Ferrum stack as well?

Dec 20, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #19,198 of 26,661
Did you feel like this after getting the HM1? Or did you feel this with Ferrum stack as well?
I felt like bass was good with the Ferrum using the Prion4 cable, which is a bass monster, but maybe not so much with stock. I also got more bass quantity from an aftermarket fuse. But with Ferrum it was deep, but a bit round and soft and not that dynamic. With the HM1 it is extremely fast and tight. The HM1 really opened up my eyes what Susvara can do.

Dec 20, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #19,199 of 26,661
I felt like bass was good with the Ferrum using the Prion4 cable, which is a bass monster, but maybe not so much with stock. I also got more bass quantity from an aftermarket fuse. But with Ferrum it was deep, but a bit round and soft and not that dynamic. With the HM1 it is extremely fast and tight. The HM1 really opened up my eyes what Susvara can do.
Same here when I received my Riviera AIC-10. I choose it over Hifiman’s HF-1000 since it’s had only one tube to roll. It’s a beast. I can’t wait until I receive my Zahl HM1.

Dec 20, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #19,200 of 26,661
Are you using the Prion4 cable with your current set up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back