HiFiMan Susvara
Oct 1, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #18,212 of 25,604
Hey guys. Hope everyone is well.

So what’s the consensus on the best tube performance for the Susvara. Find a beefy integrated tube amp to power the Susvara directly or tube pre with a speaker amp? Also if one is using tubes as a pre, why can’t you just use a WA22 to imbue tubey warmth?

Sorry, I’m a total tube noob
I rather doubt there's a consensus! As a generalization, a SS speaker amp is going to give you the most accuracy/grip in the bass (due to lower output impedance). Also, to get equivalent power requires a goodly number of tubes, which equals heat and replacement cost. For those reasons, I prefer to add my "tube warmth" with a preamp. YMMV.

Oct 1, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #18,213 of 25,604
Oct 1, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #18,214 of 25,604
Then why do people buy the WA33/Envy etc vs WA22 if using as a tube pre?
As someone who owned the WA22 and now owns the WA33 I can tell you, at least personally, that I bought the 22 to be a pre but bought the 33 to be a headphone amp on its own right. It blows away the 22 in all aspects it's not even close (which should be the case considering their asking price).

I also think both are first and foremost primarily headphones amps that can be used as a pre as their secondary use case but you can probably get much better pres for that money if that's what you need.

Oct 1, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #18,215 of 25,604
As someone who owned the WA22 and now owns the WA33 I can tell you, at least personally, that I bought the 22 to be a pre but bought the 33 to be a headphone amp on its own right. It blows away the 22 in all aspects it's not even close (which should be the case considering their asking price).

I also think both are first and foremost primarily headphones amps that can be used as a pre as their secondary use case but you can probably get much better pres for that money if that's what you need.
What tube preamp do you recommend?

Oct 1, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #18,217 of 25,604
And that Audio Research preamp in your sig is excellent.
Thanks. I bought the Reference 1 circa 1995, and subsequently upgraded to the Ref 5SE, and then the Ref 6SE a few years ago. Was never much of a fan of the Ref 2 or Ref 3, FWIW. All of these were purchased for my 2-channel system, and are total overkill (and too expensive) for most headphone setups, but since I am already an owner, I might as well leverage it.

Audio Research makes (and has made since 1970!) a broad range of tube preamps at various price points. Highly recommended gear for those not seeking bloomy tube sound.

Oct 1, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #18,219 of 25,604
Don’t forget
What tube preamp do you recommend?
Don’t forget about Hybrid options. I connect my TT2/M-Scaler to the Riviera AIC-10. It has tube pre with solid state amp section. It works wonderfully. Plus only one tube to roll. I like this combo a lot.

I might consider the Dave or the DCS Lina as the next upgrade and should be good to go.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #18,220 of 25,604
And that Audio Research preamp in your sig is excellent.
Ref 5/6 are excellent, but don't forget that ARC LS15 and LS27 are also great pre-amps that cost much less and which can be find used for a very reasonable price.

Oct 2, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #18,221 of 25,604
That is where what my curiosity is...full analog with Susvara's...this despite the world of full on digital which I adore and love, but how about an Rega P10........Susvara??? Anyone?
I have a Rega P10 with Apheta 3 cartridge connected to a Rega Aura Phono stage that is connected to my EF1000 (single RCA input to the 'CD' input of the EF1000) which powers my Susvaras.

This set-up was good but not on the same level as my Chord Blu (MK1 converted to a MK2 with M Scaler) with my Chord DAVE linked to my EF1000 (single RCA to the DAC input of the EF1000). Blu & DAVE are liked together with the great Wave Fidelity STORM BNC digital cables.

However my recently acquired (in July this year) Kuzma XL DC turntable with Kuzma 4Point connected to a My Sonic Lab EX cartridge which is connected to my Rega Aura is a different thing altogether which either equals (at worst) my Blu & DAVE or most of the time trounces on it.

The sound I am getting from the Kuzma & My Sonic Lab analogue set-up to my EF1000 and Susvaras is to my ears sonic bliss & audio heaven especially with great well produced & recorded vinyl. Only downside is I am getting a slight hum from the Rega Aura when listening with my Susvaras at approx. 50% on the volume pot although when I have my EF1000 driving my Focal Electra 1008 Be speakers (at 30% on the volume pot) I don't hear any hum at all.

Now wondering if a much better (i.e. one where I don't hear any hum at all when using my Susvaras) Phono Stage than the Rega Aura (which is a great sounding Phono Stage) ideally a current / trans-impedance input Phono (for the low impedance Eminent EX) i.e. for instance a Van Den Hul The Grail or a BMC MCCI, or a Channel D Lino C3.3, or a Sutherland Loco or an ultimate pinnacle Phono Stage i.e. a CH Precision P1 will make my EF1000 & Susvara set-up sound even better ?

FYI (and from the above info); I am now therefore selling my Rega P10 with Apheta 3 and possibly my Rega Aura Phono stage (need to review the above Phono stages first) which are currently residing in the UK. Also have my Chord M Scaler up for sale (also in the UK) (as no longer need it due to upgrading my Chord Blu).

Oct 2, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #18,222 of 25,604
I've nothing against the digital format but analogue is great to my ears. RP8 with Apheta mc cartridge is very good especially with a phono like Avid Pellar but if you have money to burn, sure go for the Planar 10. But then you would want a Techdas Air Force Zero. :)
Or a Kuzma XL DC with Kuzma 4Point Tonearm and a top cartridge ! :wink: .
This set-up trounced on my Rega P10 with Apheta 3 both from a Rega Aura Phono Stage with my EF1000 & Susvaras !

Oct 2, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #18,223 of 25,604
Don’t forget

Don’t forget about Hybrid options. I connect my TT2/M-Scaler to the Riviera AIC-10. It has tube pre with solid state amp section. It works wonderfully. Plus only one tube to roll. I like this combo a lot.

I might consider the Dave or the DCS Lina as the next upgrade and should be good to go.
A1+
Same for my EF1000 i.e. tube pre-amp with SS power amp hybrid amp.

I believe (from my years experience in hifi systems) having a high quality non tube SS source (to achieve the cleanest source single possible) into a high quality tube pre-amp (so you can tube roll the pre-amp (which can have a similar although much smaller effect) for tone changes like an equalizer) then into a high quality SS Power Amp is a great hifi set-up both for headphone and speaker systems.

Oct 2, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #18,224 of 25,604
Hey guys. Hope everyone is well.

So what’s the consensus on the best tube performance for the Susvara. Find a beefy integrated tube amp to power the Susvara directly or tube pre with a speaker amp? Also if one is using tubes as a pre, why can’t you just use a WA22 to imbue tubey warmth?

Sorry, I’m a total tube noob
Just buy the Hifiman EF1000 then your done and you can then enjoy audio nirvana with your Susvaras for many years to come (assuming you also have a high quality source into the EF1000 ! ).

Oct 2, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #18,225 of 25,604
A1+
Same for my EF1000 i.e. tube pre-amp with SS power amp hybrid amp.

I believe (from my years experience in hifi systems) having a high quality non tube SS source (to achieve the cleanest source single possible) into a high quality tube pre-amp (so you can tube roll the pre-amp (which can have a similar although much smaller effect) for tone changes like an equalizer) then into a high quality SS Power Amp is a great hifi set-up both for headphone and speaker systems.
In this case, 300B with planars is a very special complement.

Users who are viewing this thread

• K3cT
Back