HiFiMan Susvara
Sep 28, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #18,181 of 25,550
Replaced my susvara stock pads with the dekoni fenestrated sheepskin and I'm really surprised at how easy it was to tell a difference.

Sound is more open and clean, really clean. Sounds better at lower volumes, big plus for me. Male vocales and guitar have less body which is my only negative soundwise, other than that my ears touch the mesh but the leather is more comfortable imo.

They are like .5 cm slimmer than stock which is confusing to me how the soundstage sounds more open.

I think I'm going to keep them since I'm getting the ican signature soon (which is a warmer amp) to replace my timekeeper 3i because I'm constantly scared of the speaker amp (has no protection) lol.
do you mean 0.5 mm?...0.5cm is a whole 5mm. You really have to have some flat ears not, make your ears touch the fabric/grill

Sep 29, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #18,185 of 25,550
You're a vinyl fan too. Listening to Hans Zimmer 'Live in Prague' on the 4 LP album now and Susvara is the right headphone for it ! The sheer scale of the musical score is breathtaking.

I am, ever since being hired and trying out AMR's phono with our heavily modded Garrard 301 turntable. I don't listent to vinyl much, but it's a celebration when I do :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 29, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #18,186 of 25,550
You're a vinyl fan too. Listening to Hans Zimmer 'Live in Prague' on the 4 LP album now and Susvara is the right headphone for it ! The sheer scale of the musical score is breathtaking.
For those of us who were around in the 80’s…I had no idea until just the other week that Hans Zimmer was part of this video below. The one in the black outfit playing synth.

Mind you in the 80’s and 90’s I wasn’t aware of who Trevor Horn was either though I liked a lot of his stuff (eg Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Yes (Owner of a Lonely Heart) and Grace Jones)

Sep 29, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #18,187 of 25,550
For those of us who were around in the 80’s…I had no idea until just the other week that Hans Zimmer was part of this video below. The one in the black outfit playing synth.

Mind you in the 80’s and 90’s I wasn’t aware of who Trevor Horn was either though I liked a lot of his stuff (eg Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Yes (Owner of a Lonely Heart) and Grace Jones)

I had no idea.... he's the one at 2:51 in the video.

Sep 30, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #18,189 of 25,550
Glad to hear it. I own an HPA4 and have been interested in the Susvara. I've never had an opportunity to hear them together, though.
6 Watts into 16 Ohms = maximum output of the headphone?

Sep 30, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #18,190 of 25,550
The most power that you can ever get out (successfully/properly) of the amp into a 16 ohm load is 6 Watts.

Sep 30, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #18,191 of 25,550
6 Watts into 16 Ohms (from the manufacturer's spec for the amp) means about 1.6 Watts into 60 Ohms (Susvara).

For most headphones, that's more than enough power. For the Susvara, there are mixed reports. I've read many accounts saying much more power is needed for optimal performance from Susvara. I've also read some accounts asserting that these high power requirements are overstated and an amp like the HPA4 does an excellent job. We're all on this thread. We've all read these viewpoints. I own an HPA4 and like it a lot, but I have not had the opportunity to spend time with the Susvara on the HPA4, so I can't say definitively which of these viewpoints rings truest for me.

I spoke with Benchmark about driving the Susvara with their AHB2 amp and they feel it's a perfectly good application. They are aware of many customers who are doing that to good effect. The AHB2 supplies about 13 Watts to the Susvara. I believe the Ferrum amp supplies about 8 Watts. The Niimbus US5 supplies about 6 Watts. The iFi iCAN Pro Sig supplies about 3.7 Watts. In that context, the 1.6 Watts from the HPA4 seems on the low side. Then we've got the new dCS LINA amp, which supplies about 1 Watt to the Susvara. Some reports on LINA/Susvara performance from recent audio shows have been very positive, though. So... who knows? There's probably more to it than just Watts.

Views from proper Electrical Engineers can bring some gravitas into the discussion. Some credentialed folks have contributed to this 1200-page thread already, I believe. I did a minor concentration in Electrical Engineering at university more than 30 years ago. That doesn't make me an expert here, but gives me some grounding that many of my fellow head-fi hobbyists may lack.

Sep 30, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #18,192 of 25,550
6 Watts into 16 Ohms (from the manufacturer's spec for the amp) means about 1.6 Watts into 60 Ohms (Susvara).

For most headphones, that's more than enough power. For the Susvara, there are mixed reports. I've read many accounts saying much more power is needed for optimal performance from Susvara. I've also read some accounts asserting that these high power requirements are overstated and an amp like the HPA4 does an excellent job. We're all on this thread. We've all read these viewpoints. I own an HPA4 and like it a lot, but I have not had the opportunity to spend time with the Susvara on the HPA4, so I can't say definitively which of these viewpoints rings truest for me.

I spoke with Benchmark about driving the Susvara with their AHB2 amp and they feel it's a perfectly good application. They are aware of many customers who are doing that to good effect. The AHB2 supplies about 13 Watts to the Susvara. I believe the Ferrum amp supplies about 8 Watts. The Niimbus US5 supplies about 6 Watts. The iFi iCAN Pro Sig supplies about 3.7 Watts. In that context, the 1.6 Watts from the HPA4 seems on the low side. Then we've got the new dCS LINA amp, which supplies about 1 Watt to the Susvara. Some reports on LINA/Susvara performance from recent audio shows have been very positive, though. So... who knows? There's probably more to it than just Watts.

Views from proper Electrical Engineers can bring some gravitas into the discussion. Some credentialed folks have contributed to this 1200-page thread already, I believe. I did a minor concentration in Electrical Engineering at university more than 30 years ago. That doesn't make me an expert here, but gives me some grounding that many of my fellow head-fi hobbyists may lack.
Guess I'll post this, again.
https://www.audeze.com/blogs/technology-and-innovation/sensitivity-impedance-and-amplifier-power

Sep 30, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #18,193 of 25,550
Screenshot_20220930-221300.jpg

It's embarrassing because they imply 120dB peaks embedded in a master track...which is 35DR (120dB-85dB) . Even Cradle to Grave is only measured as 10DR. THX certification for a large room asks for 104dB peaks for the subwoofer and that subwoofer is already set at +6dB and a quick Google will show you ppl crying about how loud it is.

Again...go ahead and believe whatever you want to justify a larger amp so your headphones can fill a large room.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #18,194 of 25,550
How I enjoy my Susvara.

IMG_5063.jpg
Interesting, how is the chain to the Susvara from the RP8, all analog or using an ADC? or just from RP8-PhonoStage-Amp out the XLR in the back? In the process of finding myself a TT so interested to find best way to connect to my Susvara's...?

Sep 30, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #18,195 of 25,550
Great write-up. Thank you for posting it.

As the Susvara’s sensitivity is 83db at 1
Milliwatt, and per the article every 10 db increase in sound requires 10 times the power for the millisecond transient peaks, if we wanted to handle a 30 db transient peak we would need:

1mw X 10 X 10 X 10 = 1 watt.

If someone listened at a higher db level, they would need more, potentially much more if the transient peaks were present and up to 30 db higher. Do you agree?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back