HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 16, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #17,476 of 25,604
Great idea!

Perhaps a list of "Most popular amp pairings in this thread" that's pin to the top of thread we can always refer anyone to peruse.

I wonder if there is a smart way to query this thread and simply extra a list of amps ranked based on # of users mentioning them (so not based on post count, but user count). I'm sure it's not doable.

"Most popular" would be really helpful. And agree on the sticky/pin. And yea technology wise it could be rather straight forward, but I know not necessarily feasible to do in that sense given circumstances. I also think there were some other interesting ideas that have floated around in the thread before.

Again I really only care because the Susvara doesn't get the due it deserves imo and I've seen people write it off because it's seemingly impossible to power, which I know the thread contributes to.

Aug 16, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #17,477 of 25,604
Based on my experience, the ability to drive the headphone to a certain volume, and loudness of the headphone does not equal to sound quality. Although it has been said many times, I understand it is very hard to understand as it requires your own listening experience to justify this statement. Usually require multiple amps in house for comparison. Unfortunately, not everyone on head-fi has that luxury.

Some general aspects such as small sound stage and weak separation, or lack of bass extension are some examples of the headphone only driven to the volume but without quality. You can still have a decent volume and quantity of bass but it is not extended to the low and it would sound flat and monotone.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #17,478 of 25,604
Great idea!

Perhaps a list of "Most popular amp pairings in this thread" that's pin to the top of thread we can always refer anyone to peruse.

I wonder if there is a smart way to query this thread and simply extra a list of amps ranked based on # of users mentioning them (so not based on post count, but user count). I'm sure it's not
I would suggest first #1 post to include all users who owned susvara to list

1. their chain, source>cable> preamp > cable>amp>cable>susvara
2. possibly power cord as well
3. Time of purchase
4. Ratio of cost in the chain, preferably one version using street price and one version using acuqisition price.

Aug 16, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #17,479 of 25,604
Perhaps if we had a wiki we can list amps that drive the Susvara well.

Aug 16, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #17,480 of 25,604
Based on my experience, the ability to drive the headphone to a certain volume, and loudness of the headphone does not equal to sound quality. Although it has been said many times, I understand it is very hard to understand as it requires your own listening experience to justify this statement. Usually require multiple amps in house for comparison. Unfortunately, not everyone on head-fi has that luxury.

Some general aspects such as small sound stage and weak separation, or lack of bass extension are some examples of the headphone only driven to the volume but without quality. You can still have a decent volume and quantity of bass but it is not extended to the low and it would sound flat and monotone.
Totally agree, loudness <> good sound

my Cayin N8 and Fiio M17 can drive susvara pretty loud at full volume but sound so liveless and recessed.

but my newly acquired mono block at similar listening volume, drive them at such authority.

I am going to provide some details when my gold point stepped attenueator arrives in the next two week as I am currently double amping with DAP headphone out straight into the mono but yet, sound so good

Aug 16, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #17,481 of 25,604
I would suggest first #1 post to include all users who owned susvara to list

1. their chain, source>cable> preamp > cable>amp>cable>susvara
2. possibly power cord as well
3. Time of purchase
4. Ratio of cost in the chain, preferably one version using street price and one version using acuqisition price.
I’ll post my chain.

Power connected to Isotek EVO3 Aquarius with EVO3 Premier Power cable -> 2013 27” iMac -> Moon Audio Black Dragon USB Cable -> Chord M-Scaler -> Wave High Fidelity Storm Reference Oyaide Dual BNC Cables -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> High Fidelity Reveal RCA Interconnect Cables -> Riviera AIC-10 with Telefunken G73-R Black Coated NOS Tubes-> iFi Audio Pro IESL -> Moon Audio Black Dragon V2 Cable -> Hifiman Susvara

Aug 16, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #17,482 of 25,604
amp choice has nothing to do with how loud it can get....dont know why this keeps coming up in discussion
Agreed. That's why I did not mention the loudness in my post. My point is my Fostex HP-V8 is able to drive the Susvara fully with a mere 2W output. With a fully driven Susvara the sub-bass, separation, micro-details, speed and transparency are simply amazing.

Aug 17, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #17,483 of 25,604
I’ll post my chain.

Power connected to Isotek EVO3 Aquarius with EVO3 Premier Power cable -> 2013 27” iMac -> Moon Audio Black Dragon USB Cable -> Chord M-Scaler -> Wave High Fidelity Storm Reference Oyaide Dual BNC Cables -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> High Fidelity Reveal RCA Interconnect Cables -> Riviera AIC-10 with Telefunken G73-R Black Coated NOS Tubes-> iFi Audio Pro IESL -> Moon Audio Black Dragon V2 Cable -> Hifiman Susvara
Genuinely curious about the reason for the IESL in the chain

Aug 17, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #17,484 of 25,604
Agreed. That's why I did not mention the loudness in my post. My point is my Fostex HP-V8 is able to drive the Susvara fully with a mere 2W output. With a fully driven Susvara the sub-bass, separation, micro-details, speed and transparency are simply amazing.
i think you will probably be surprised when you hear it with a 100W power amp, my gut feeling

Aug 17, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #17,485 of 25,604
i think you will probably be surprised when you hear it with a 100W power amp, my gut feeling
I have owned many different headphone amps and also listened it through my Naim XS2 speaker amp previously. As mentioned I know very well how Susvara sounds when fully driven so I understand it needs high quality amplification instead of just output. The Fostex HP-V8 uses a pair of 300B as driver tubes and despite the output was tuned very conservatively to 2W only, it drives the Susvara fully and up to my entire satisfaction that I do not feel any need to seek further.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #17,486 of 25,604
I have owned many different headphone amps and also listened it through my Naim XS2 speaker amp previously. As mentioned I know very well how Susvara sounds when fully driven so I understand it needs high quality amplification instead of just output. The Fostex HP-V8 uses a pair of 300B as driver tubes and despite the output was tuned very conservatively to 2W only, it drives the Susvara fully and up to my entire satisfaction that I do not feel any need to seek further.
To the nth degree of satisfaction. If only johny knew.

Aug 17, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #17,488 of 25,604
I'm not sure how best to do it, and certainly don't have time myself to own it or even the deep experimental expertise, but maybe it would be helpful if we had a list of commonly paired amps that the collective majority agrees adequately power and pair well with the Susvara. I would be happy to contribute with my experiences of what I have heard.

I'm pretty sure the same constant discussion every two pages detracts from valuable discourse and deters people from ever getting interested in the first place. I.e. it takes pages and pages of digging to even get an idea of what the Susvara sounds like as it's never really talked about. This just isn't the case with other threads. Not venting here, trying to figure out how to contribute to resolving the consistent trend. (also this doesn't at all apply to the detailed impressions shared with amps, that in particular is very valuable and you can tell from the interactions stemming from them).
You can start with the Hifiman EF1000 !

Aug 17, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #17,489 of 25,604
Lummy is no stranger to good gear. That Fostex OT is made by Hashimoto and weighs 31 kgs. There's a review of it by Anak Chan here in head-fi.
And a stunning S/N Ratio at 115dB, for a tube amp.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #17,490 of 25,604
I'm not sure how best to do it, and certainly don't have time myself to own it or even the deep experimental expertise, but maybe it would be helpful if we had a list of commonly paired amps that the collective majority agrees adequately power and pair well with the Susvara. I would be happy to contribute with my experiences of what I have heard.

I'm pretty sure the same constant discussion every two pages detracts from valuable discourse and deters people from ever getting interested in the first place. I.e. it takes pages and pages of digging to even get an idea of what the Susvara sounds like as it's never really talked about. This just isn't the case with other threads. Not venting here, trying to figure out how to contribute to resolving the consistent trend. (also this doesn't at all apply to the detailed impressions shared with amps, that in particular is very valuable and you can tell from the interactions stemming from them).
Wouldn’t a separate Susvara amp thread be useful? Leaving this one to be more of an impressions / experience thread.

The problem is they’d no doubt overlap at some point.

I think one of the hardest things to understand as a new owner is that there seems to be no formula. For most headphones, you can do some simple math and make sure it’s adequately powered, and from there decide on tube or SS followed by additional functions. There will still be a case of synergy, but it seems far easier to navigate.

The Susvara and suitable amps has this myth-like status about it. The advice from all over the internet seems to vary wildly, too. Some say you don’t need powerful amps at all, just so long as it is capable on paper. Others say you need speaker amps. Then that watts can be different depending on the amp. The HA-300mk2 puts out 2400mw at medium impedance, and it seems to be a recommended amp, but other users will say you can’t get away with anything less than 10W regardless of amp.

I know it boils down to gaining your own experience with a variety of amps, but for many that’s a difficult task for one reason or another. So we turn to the forums, but then regular users get bombarded with the same questions every two pages. The advice usually contradicts other bits of advice offered elsewhere on the thread, and so you end up wanting to ask more questions.

I totally get why it’s frustrating for both parties, as there’s no easy answer for the questions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• vtvu
Back