HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 16, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #17,461 of 25,604
Do not compare class A tube amps watts with solid states watts.

Let me expand on this from my own experience. I had the Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP that uses 8 x KT88 tubes and is rated at 70 watts per channel into 8 ohms. Now that is as powerful and plays just as loud and explosive as my solid state Redgum Rgi125enr rated at 165 watts into 8 ohms. Both these amps were driving my floorstanders capable of 150 watts per channel to room filling crescendos.

Aug 16, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #17,462 of 25,604
Do not compare class A tube amps watts with solid states watts. HA-300 will have power to drive it. It won't be just enough. It's not just power because I had the Ragnarok which I bought new in 2017 with Yggdrasil. Rag didn't last a year. My Glenn OTL amp sounded more dynamic and engaging than Rag with my then HD800 and LCD-2f. There's more bite from the tube amp over Ragnarok. I just didn't think it's that great with headphones. Ironically I audition Rag with v281 at the shop on 3 separate occasions and then decided on Rag because I like how Ragnarok and Yggdrasil look as a very nice pair together. If I had gotten the v281, I would probably still be keeping it. :)

Schiit is not going to be pleased with me for talking down Ragnarok but then I love Yggdrasil and it has remain with me to this day.

Tube vs ss amps will always have polarized opinions. Just like vinyl vs digital. I won't be trying to influence anyone onto tube amps that is for sure. It's up to individual to find out what they like.

fwiw my KT88 amp Odyssey with Susvara gave me goosebumps listening to US +THEM Roger Waters right now. Bass when it drops is shockingly powerful and it's a riveting experience listening through the album.

IMG_4832.jpg
Absolutely agreed. I drive my Susvara very nicely and satisfying with my Fostex HP-V8 tube amp, which has only 2W output on paper.

PS: I have sufficient experience to know how Susvara sounds when fully driven.

Aug 16, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #17,463 of 25,604
Absolutely agreed. I drive my Susvara very nicely and satisfying with my Fostex HP-V8 tube amp, which has only 2W output on paper.

There's a lot of talk about needing 10 watts to listen to Susvara at 60 ohms and 83 dB efficiency. This is madness. More than one amp builder tells me we listen at mW range not at the watts range. We need headroom you say. Sure but we don't need 50 watts. My Odyssey sound as powerful as my 150w ss amp at the level I'm listening at and I do not listen to more than 110dB. More like in the 90s at most.

This is reinforced by this chart done by Torq. As you can see, anything above 110dB is danger zone. At 120dB your exposure is ZERO otherwise it's instant ear damage.

d27d8eaa7c414f50b16c1496859009be6ff19e80.png

Aug 16, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #17,465 of 25,604
Luckily I can fully enjoy my music with 75db, maxing out at 85db if ever. I always wonder about all the full blown amp discussions here, but I guess that's just me 🤷‍♂️

Clearly the 2 people doing the 2 different charts have done it correctly because the figures are the same. :relaxed:

Aug 16, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #17,466 of 25,604
I’m thinking about getting a Cayin ha-300mk2 (or possibly the mk1) to power the Susvara. Will it do them justice? It’s a lot of money for an amp that unfortunately I can’t test ahead of buying, so figured I’d check other users opinions first.

From what I’ve read throughout this thread, it might not provide enough power to get the bass kicking, and whilst I’m not a bass head, that is important to me.
I tested it and imho it will drive the Susvara well

I personally found it’s sound signature to be too warm for me, so it wasn’t for me; but if you like a warm colored amp then you may really like it

Aug 16, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #17,468 of 25,604
Not trying to spam for no reason because I have no experience with Susvara and amp. But I think there is an misunderstanding by "both" parts.

I don´t think the people who recommends the speaker amps are saying you should blow your ears out. But maybe this "power" concern, elevates some levels of quality at low levels that headphone amps can not deliver...even at comfortable dB levels?

Aug 16, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #17,469 of 25,604
Not trying to spam for no reason because I have no experience with Susvara and amp. But I think there is an misunderstanding by "both" parts.

I don´t think the people who recommends the speaker amps are saying you should blow your ears out. But maybe this "power" concern, elevates some levels of quality at low levels that headphone amps can not deliver...even at comfortable dB levels?

Don't forget that Odyssey is also a speaker amp with power of 15w in triode mode and 20w in UL at 8 ohms. It drives efficient speakers easily. Remember this is class A tube amp watts. The difference here is some speaker amps are 150 to 250w per channel at 8 ohms.

I've here a speaker amp rated at 150w into 8 ohms and Odyssey. At low levels, they both give me the fidelity I expect from Susvara and I'm not disappointed. The difference is the speaker amp has better stage, more weighted bass but also sound more distant.

However there is a big world of difference comparing the speaker amp or Odyssey with your diablo. That's where it's found wanting. Get yourself a proper amp to drive Susvara.

Aug 16, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #17,470 of 25,604
Every one perceives sound different. I came from Ananda, Arya V2, HEKV2, HEKSE to Susvara. Sold everything else as none of those, for me, do what the Sus does. HEkSE has a much louder/evident vocal presentation, almost in your face. If I put them down and pick the Susvara, the Sus sounds like vocals took a back stage, but that was because HEKSE had exaggerated vocals to begin with. Took me a little time but realized nothing sounds as good as the Sus across the entire FR, this is based on my preference. The HEKV2 was much closer to Susvara than anything else.

This is a great place where everyone shares there opinion and tastes. It is absolutely ok to disagree and we should avoid imposing our opinions on others to sway them to like what we like. A unique community builds a better bond, what fun will there be if everyone was alike.

agree with hekv2 closer to Susvara. I still have them both though I use susvara more often as it is just so smooth on any genre of music I use to.

Aug 16, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #17,472 of 25,604

amp choice has nothing to do with how loud it can get....dont know why this keeps coming up in discussion

Aug 16, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #17,473 of 25,604
amp choice has nothing to do with how loud it can get....dont know why this keeps coming up in discussion

Agreed. Practically, most of us may use amplifiers to attenuate dac out level (2Vrms unbalanced or 4-5Vrms balanced at 0db full scale). I'm very sure I never want my Sus to receive 2V input when I hear (note Sus is measured roughly 103db spl/V). We just want good amps no matter how high (or low) power is rated. How to define good is totally up to personal preference tho.

Aug 16, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #17,474 of 25,604
I'm not sure how best to do it, and certainly don't have time myself to own it or even the deep experimental expertise, but maybe it would be helpful if we had a list of commonly paired amps that the collective majority agrees adequately power and pair well with the Susvara. I would be happy to contribute with my experiences of what I have heard.

I'm pretty sure the same constant discussion every two pages detracts from valuable discourse and deters people from ever getting interested in the first place. I.e. it takes pages and pages of digging to even get an idea of what the Susvara sounds like as it's never really talked about. This just isn't the case with other threads. Not venting here, trying to figure out how to contribute to resolving the consistent trend. (also this doesn't at all apply to the detailed impressions shared with amps, that in particular is very valuable and you can tell from the interactions stemming from them).

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #17,475 of 25,604
I'm not sure how best to do it, and certainly don't have time myself to own it or even the deep experimental expertise, but maybe it would be helpful if we had a list of commonly paired amps that the collective majority agrees adequately power and pair well with the Susvara. I would be happy to contribute with my experiences of what I have heard.

I'm pretty sure the same constant discussion every two pages detracts from valuable discourse and deters people from ever getting interested in the first place. I.e. it takes pages and pages of digging to even get an idea of what the Susvara sounds like as it's never really talked about. This just isn't the case with other threads. Not venting here, trying to figure out how to contribute to resolving the consistent trend. (also this doesn't at all apply to the detailed impressions shared with amps, that in particular is very valuable and you can tell from the interactions stemming from them).

Great idea!

Perhaps a list of "Most popular amp pairings in this thread" that's pin to the top of thread we can always refer anyone to peruse.

I wonder if there is a smart way to query this thread and simply extra a list of amps ranked based on # of users mentioning them (so not based on post count, but user count). I'm sure it's not doable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back