HiFiMan Susvara
Oct 10, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #1,681 of 25,631
Well, I'm going to be back in the Susvara club on Friday (as long as Fedex doesn't screw up.) Really looking forward to it :)

I was thinking Susvara too until I heard the HE-6 SE on the same amp and source and was able to A/B them both side by side at RMAF 2018.

The Susvara is superior, no question, but for the asking price, I think Hifiman has real winner with the HE-6 SE.

The HE-6 SE was so close to the Susvara that it made no sense for me to put up the extra $4,000 for the Susvara compared to the HE-6 SE.

I would say the HE-6 SE was 85% to 90% of the Susvara.

We will see what happens when I get my HE-6 SE here next week and break them in.

More then...

Oct 10, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #1,682 of 25,631
I've purchased a Hugo TT2 to use with the Susvara and Abyss. I'm hoping that using an adapter and the XLR outputs on the rear, the Susvara will be powered well. If not I figure I can always add an amp at a later date. It was attractive to me as it is a one box solution (all going well.) Whether or not I am right, only time will tell.

Oct 10, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #1,683 of 25,631
I was thinking Susvara too until I heard the HE-6 SE on the same amp and source and was able to A/B them both side by side at RMAF 2018.

The Susvara is superior, no question, but for the asking price, I think Hifiman has real winner with the HE-6 SE.

The HE-6 SE was so close to the Susvara that it made no sense for me to put up the extra $4,000 for the Susvara compared to the HE-6 SE.

We will see what happens when I get my HE-6 SE here next week and break them in.

More then...

Thats funny, I'm going the opposite way, from HE6se to Susvara. I hope you really enjoy the HE6se! They are great headphones no doubt.

Oct 10, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #1,684 of 25,631
Thats funny, I'm going the opposite way, from HE6se to Susvara. I hope you really enjoy the HE6se! They are great headphones no doubt.

Isn't it funny how that works sometimes...

I figured I'd better get the HE-6 SE while they're still available.

700 units seems like a decent amount but I don't want to miss out.

Happy listening ufospls2!

Oct 10, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #1,685 of 25,631

More then...

And what is the delta of SQ difference between the original He-6 and the new He-6se, if you're familiar with the sound of both cans? I sold my original He-6, which I adored very much, but the perpetual search for the most optimal amp for it became too much of an obsession, distracting from the enjoyment of the cans themselves, so they had to go (I wanted a can I could enjoy in peace, without having to worry if the amp I am using for it is up to snuff, which I ended up always doing with He-6, no matter how powerful the amp I was using, and never doing with any of my other cans)...

Now, I want to get back on board and don't know whether I should aim for the He-6se or the Susvara..., which is why I am asking... Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #1,686 of 25,631
HE-6 SE uses the same drivers as the original. I think we can all agree on that at this point.

The only difference between new and old is the headband and ear cup connectors. The new HE-6 SE uses the newer 3.5mm connectors where the original version uses the threaded coaxial connectors.

I don't mind the new headband / frame but some folks don't like it.

As far as sound quality, I kept switching back and forth and I could tell the Susvara was extracting more detail, air, and overall sense of the recording but the HE-6 SE was really close. The HE-6 SE lacked the air and detail to a degree. It was all there but was not lifted from the background like with the Susvara.

As far as fit and feel, I actually preferred the HE-6 SE's smaller ear cups to the larger ones of the Susvara. The HE-6 SE just fits my head better.

To me, the price difference was not at all worth it. I think we're starting to see a trend of folks going back to the more moderately priced cans.

I mean, we're not talking about speakers here. I can buy a very nice set of speakers for $6,000 on the used market, which I would rather do with that money vs buying a set of cans.

Just my 2 cents... Everybody is different.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #1,687 of 25,631
And what is the delta of SQ difference between the original He-6 and the new He-6se, if you're familiar with the sound of both cans? I sold my original He-6, which I adored very much, but the perpetual search for the most optimal amp for it became too much of an obsession, distracting from the enjoyment of the cans themselves, so the had to go (I wanted a can I could enjoy, without having to worry if the amp I am using for it is up to snuff, which I ended up always doing with He-6, no matter how powerful the amp I was using, and never do with any of my other cans)...

Now, I want to get back on board don't know whether I should aim for the He-6se or the Susvara..., which is why I am asking... Thanks for your thoughts

the susvara will have you thinking the same thing about amps but i must say it is a wonderful HP

Oct 10, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #1,688 of 25,631

More then...

Interesting, nice to hear from someone who was able to test both side by side. I suppose that's not too different than what I expect; I never found a planar or dynamic headphone that can straight up outclass the HE-6 all around, although to my ears the Stax SR-009 on the right system does so I don't expect the Susvara to fare very well here either.

I've purchased a Hugo TT2 to use with the Susvara and Abyss. I'm hoping that using an adapter and the XLR outputs on the rear, the Susvara will be powered well. If not I figure I can always add an amp at a later date. It was attractive to me as it is a one box solution (all going well.) Whether or not I am right, only time will tell.

Hugo TT 2 can deliver enough power through its XLRs to easily damage the Susvara and HE-6 so it won't be an issue.

Oct 10, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #1,689 of 25,631
Hello,
being the owner of lcd4 audeze, I would have liked to have a different headphone and win on the high medium, with a little more presence of stage width, there is the susvara of course but 6000 € is still a lot of money, did some listen to the 2000th grado and make comparisons, thanks

Oct 11, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #1,692 of 25,631
I tried and couldn’t. Just crazy doe but it does establish what one is willing to do and for what.

Oct 11, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #1,693 of 25,631
Need to find a place in NY to audition Susvara, heard amazing things but have to give it a listen before pulling the trigger.

Audio46

They lack great amps although I think they have both the EF1000 (or whatever it's called) and EF6.

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #1,694 of 25,631
Hugo TT 2 can deliver enough power through its XLRs to easily damage the Susvara and HE-6 so it won't be an issue.

I sure hope so :) I just ordered an adapter to use the XLRs so I will report back!

Oct 11, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #1,695 of 25,631
I do want to try Hugo TT2, but I'm not buying another Chord product without trying it. I think it's the colorful LEDs that gets me. I remember in school, I always go to Applebee's. The food always sucked, but I keep going back. Then my friends were like, it must be the bright red logo that's draws you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back