HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 29, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #16,456 of 25,603
Got my replacement Susvara today, exactly two days after Hifiman received my defective unit. Now that’s service! I’m quite pleased with the rapid turnaround. Unpacked them, slapped on some Dekoni Nuggets, extended the yoke slider to maximum length, and connected my Cardas Clear headphone cable. Ready to go again!

It sounds just as good as I remember. Punchy yet smooth in my setup. So happy to have them back. :)
Very nice! Yeah, I have had good support from Hifiman as well when my first Susvara failed.

Jun 30, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #16,457 of 25,603
That's awesome man. As expensive as the Accuphase is, it's an incredible amp. Also quite amazing for two-channel @orrm

Bear in mind its not overly warm. Just a hint of warmth in the lower mids and the treble is damn refined. It also has a big and powerful sound, be it with headphones or speakers. For the longest time, I drove the Sonus Faber Electa Amator III's off the e380 with great results, and with less gain than when driving the Susvara.

I have driven other speakers with the Accuphase. In general it pairs well with a wide variety of speakers I would say.

Nice, maybe I missed the post. So you are a hard core CD fan nice. I bet the luxman is more transparent and flat signature compared to the dense coloration of accuphase? The luxman pairing seems to be playing around Susvara's strength.
A CD player is a very simple solution. I don't want my system to be too complex, which can effectively control the cost.
Of course, my system still has a long way to go. Esoteric needs an external clock to improve the sound quality. I am also interested in various advanced cables. Be patient

Jun 30, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #16,458 of 25,603
That's awesome man. As expensive as the Accuphase is, it's an incredible amp. Also quite amazing for two-channel @orrm

Bear in mind its not overly warm. Just a hint of warmth in the lower mids and the treble is damn refined. It also has a big and powerful sound, be it with headphones or speakers. For the longest time, I drove the Sonus Faber Electa Amator III's off the e380 with great results, and with less gain than when driving the Susvara.

I have driven other speakers with the Accuphase. In general it pairs well with a wide variety of speakers I would say.

This might not be the right place to post, but what is your impression of Accuphase E380/TC-HE6-Susvara combo? Just researching an overall speaker amp for those TOTL cans.

Jun 30, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #16,459 of 25,603
This might not be the right place to post, but what is your impression of Accuphase E380/TC-HE6-Susvara combo? Just researching an overall speaker amp for those TOTL cans.
I havent tried the HE6 off Accuphase. In general, I preferred Susvara with absolutely neutral and clinical amps like AHB2 which gets hyped, but even more so with energetic and dynamic amps like Naim SuperNait 3 and the lower priced Roksan K3 Power Amp. The Susvara was magnificent off Accuphase but still better off more clinical amps, whilst the TC was a revelation off Accuphase, due to synergy in tonality.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #16,460 of 25,603
I havent tried the HE6 off Accuphase. In general, I preferred Susvara with absolutely neutral and clinical amps like AHB2 which gets hyped, but even more so with energetic and dynamic amps like Naim SuperNait 3 and the lower priced Roksan K3 Power Amp. The Susvara was magnificent off Accuphase but still better off more clinical amps, whilst the TC was a revelation off Accuphase, due to synergy in tonality.

Thanks for that. So the hunt for overall speaker amp continue :D

Jun 30, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #16,461 of 25,603
Good response when (i assume) my hekse earcup connection broke too

Jun 30, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #16,462 of 25,603
I have used my speaker amps without an adapter. As have plenty others including @GoldenOne.

Accuphase solid state to Hifiman planar drive should be fine without any impedance issues. I have checked with Accuphase as well.

The 170W output power is huge so you definitely want to be careful with the volume knob. If you unleash the full power, you will most certainly damage the Susvara, not to mention your ears. One of my friends fried his Susvara this way. He was using a headphone amp that he had maxed the volume on for a Susvara. Later he used it as a pre-amp to a power amp, but forgot he had the volume maxed. :)

As for good adapters, in terms of quality, try Brian Fox at zynsonix: zynsonix@gmail.com

https://www.zynsonix.com/
Speaking of both potential accidents and zynsonix solutions...

I had Bryan (@HiGHFLYiN9 ) build me a custom switchbox which I spec-ed. It is the the first one he shows on his website under the switchbox (that's my box; image below).

It has both XLR and RCA ins (to which I plug my Bricasti DAC), and can separately route each of them to any of 4 XLR and 4 RCA outs (which I use with various headphone amps, power amps, or active sub).

Now to the safety feature!

If you look at the image, you will see that each of the XLR and RCA selectors on the front panel has a covered switch next to it. That's because I spec-ed the 4th XLR out, and 4th RCA out, to require that the switch hidden below the red cover be turned on for the selection to go through.

That means that, in order to listen to the speaker amp (which I have connected to XLR out #4) to which I have connected to my Susvara, I am forced to di the following: change the XLR selector to #4, flip open the red switch cover next to the selector, and flip the switch below the cover to on. By this point, I am very conscious that I need to be careful and turn my preamp to low volume...

1656636389624.png

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #16,463 of 25,603
Speaking of both potential accidents and zynsonix solutions...

I had Bryan (@HiGHFLYiN9 ) build me a custom switchbox which I spec-ed. It is the the first one he shows on his website under the switchbox (that's my box; image below).

It has both XLR and RCA ins (to which I plug my Bricasti DAC), and can separately route each of them to any of 4 XLR and 4 RCA outs (which I use with various headphone amps, power amps, or active sub).

Now to the safety feature!

If you look at the image, you will see that each of the XLR and RCA selectors on the front panel has a covered switch next to it. That's because I spec-ed the 4th XLR out, and 4th RCA out, to require that the switch hidden below the red cover be turned on for the selection to go through.

That means that, in order to listen to the speaker amp (which I have connected to XLR out #4) to which I have connected to my Susvara, I am forced to di the following: change the XLR selector to #4, flip open the red switch cover next to the selector, and flip the switch below the cover to on. By this point, I am very conscious that I need to be careful and turn my preamp to low volume...

I'm afraid to ask...but how much did this cost? I've been looking for precisely this type of box for my audio gear.

Jun 30, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #16,464 of 25,603
I'm afraid to ask...but how much did this cost? I've been looking for precisely this type of box for my audio gear.
It depends entirely on the quality of material used. I spent about $2000 but I used pure silver wiring inside. Use copper wiring and I’m going to guess it’s half that cost. Most of it is of course is labor. Bryan is very good to work with, and can suggest Varous price points for a various types of materials and labor. He is fair.

This box is in essence a passive preamplifier in terms of switching without the volume (and I did consider also adding a passive volume control to that box, but decided against it). So I view this as a key part in my system and chain and therefore consider its cost as I would a full component in my stack. I connect to it my regular headphone amp, electrostatic amp, power amp, etc. It was worth doing well.

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #16,465 of 25,603
hi y’all!

i have joined the Susvara club with a lucky deal from audio46 which ended up costing me $4700 for an “open-box” version that ended up actually just being a completely new unopened unit because they messed up their inventory. :)

the other units i have ordered are the Enleum 23r and the May Holo KTE, with a nirvana cable from Danacable.

my question;

the 23r (in another week) and the headphones (tomorrow) arrive the soonest, with the KTE arriving in a couple months at best and the cable even longer. is it worth setting up my amp+hp with my sad little atom dac? or should i wait for everything to arrive before i start jamming?

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #16,466 of 25,603
hi y’all!

i have joined the Susvara club with a lucky deal from audio46 which ended up costing me $4700 for an “open-box” version that ended up actually just being a completely new unopened unit because they messed up their inventory. :)

the other units i have ordered are the Enleum 23r and the May Holo KTE, with a nirvana cable from Danacable.

my question;

the 23r (in another week) and the headphones (tomorrow) arrive the soonest, with the KTE arriving in a couple months at best and the cable even longer. is it worth setting up my amp+hp with my sad little atom dac? or should i wait for everything to arrive before i start jamming?
Congrats on all the new gear, I would absolutely not wait to try it out because of the May. Plug it to the Atom and let the Enleum do its thing, you'll be 60-70 percent close to the May and still have an awesome time imo

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #16,467 of 25,603
My Accuphase amp is E406V. The ouput power is 170W into 8ohm, that's like ~20W at the Susvara's impedance, right?
Do I need something like an impedance boost or just plug it in directly through the adapter you say?
I'm afraid that just adjusting the volume carelessly will destroy the headphone's driver, or worse, my ears.
By the way, could you please recommend any good adapters. Thank you

I have used my speaker amps without an adapter. As have plenty others including @GoldenOne.

Accuphase solid state to Hifiman planar drive should be fine without any impedance issues. I have checked with Accuphase as well.

The 170W output power is huge so you definitely want to be careful with the volume knob. If you unleash the full power, you will most certainly damage the Susvara, not to mention your ears. One of my friends fried his Susvara this way. He was using a headphone amp that he had maxed the volume on for a Susvara. Later he used it as a pre-amp to a power amp, but forgot he had the volume maxed. :)

As for good adapters, in terms of quality, try Brian Fox at zynsonix: zynsonix@gmail.com

https://www.zynsonix.com/
How do you guys manage crossfeed? Do you apply crossfeed ? I'm still not satisfied even apply Roon's crossfeed DSP.

I found the soundstage is so wide and vocal is not focus /stretched when connected directly to my gryphon's speaker tab.

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #16,468 of 25,603
How do you guys manage crossfeed? Do you apply crossfeed ? I'm still not satisfied even apply Roon's crossfeed DSP.

I found the soundstage is so wide and vocal is not focus /stretched when connected directly to my gryphon's speaker tab.
If your Diablo 300 and Bartok cannot provide an experience you enjoy, it's time to move on to cans with the right FR and tonality you actually enjoy listening. No point throwing good money after bad at this point, TBH.

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #16,469 of 25,603

The Diablo 300 is a wonderful beast.

The SS on the Sus didn't become unnaturally wide for me on the Accuphase.

The TC did become massive on the Accuphase, but it didn't come across unnaturally diffuse, just very large, with lots of space around images, etc. However, whether someone would like that presentation or not is subjective. For instance, I find that these days I love how the TC soundstage sounds off the iCAN, which has a smaller stage, but because TC is still wide, it sounds good enough.

I have a Zahl HM1 coming in which is supposed to have some nifty stage widening features so I'll see how the TC fares on it, how much I like it, and report back.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #16,470 of 25,603

Susvara is non-negotiable on a Dave where it needs crossfeed, HF ON and MQA first unfold via the streamer.

Crossfeed gives that grounding and midbass

HF ON perfectly cancels out the plastic high

MQA gives the perfect deepness and weight. Also takes out the ringing that makes any Hifiman annoying.

Your Diablo 300 speaker amp experience is exactly same as what I and others heard. You are not wrong. It's the speaker amp ppl who are misinterpreting it as a seemingly good sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back