Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Jul 4, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #3,856 of 4,255
Using the ifi hfm sig amp with my sundys and a balanced cable. +0 db. I leave bass boost/hfm on all the time and turn on xspace for tv shows or audiobooks.

Loving the sundaras and the hfm sig zen amp. Amp is being fed by my evga nu audio via rca.

Jul 5, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #3,857 of 4,255
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 5, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #3,858 of 4,255
I have Hifiman Deva and Sennheiser HD560S. I'm interested in getting Sundara.

My sound preferences:
  • Sound profile: Neutral-ish, which all of these 3 headphones meet. I know they are not exactly the same. I am not concerned here. I believe I can EQ any minor differences and to my liking.
  • Vocals/Soundstage: I want a balance between strong vocals and wide soundstage. I often find these 2 attributes are contradictory or opposite:
    • Vocals (from forward to recessed): Sennheiser HD6XX/650 > HD560S > Deva
    • Soundstage (wider to narrower): Sundara??? > Deva > HD560S > HD6XX/650.
  • Detail retrieval: Sundara should be better than both Deva and HD560S
Can someone who have compared Sundara to Deva or HD560S confirm on Vocal presence and Sounstage.

On Soundstage, although I have not heard Sundara, based on reviews, Sundara has BETTER or WIDER soundstage than Deva. I'm not sure if it is better (more realistic) sounding or wider or both? Then I'm concerned that if Sundara has wider soundstage, Sundara will then have weaker or more recessed vocals than Deva?

I like both HD560S and Deva as a balance between vocals and soundstage. Deva is probably the most recessed I can go; I do not want to go anymore recessed.

My plan is to keep HD560S for gaming and select music (vocals). Get Sundara be my main go to for music. And Deva will be passed on to my kid.

Edit: clarify question on Sundara vs Deva soundstage.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #3,859 of 4,255
I have Hifiman Deva and Sennheiser HD560S. I'm interested in getting Sundara.

My sound preferences:
  • Sound profile: Neutral-ish, which all of these 3 headphones meet. I know they are not exactly the same. I am not concerned here. I believe I can EQ any minor differences and to my liking.
  • Vocals/Soundstage: I want a balance between strong vocals and wide soundstage. I often find these 2 attributes are contradictory or opposite:
    • Vocals (from forward to recessed): Sennheiser HD6XX/650 > HD560S > Deva
    • Soundstage (wider to narrower): Sundara??? > Deva > HD560S > HD6XX/650.
  • Detail retrieval: Sundara should be better than both Deva and HD560S
Can someone who have compared Sundara to Deva or HD560S confirm on Vocal presence and Sounstage.

On Soundstage, although I have not heard Sundara, based on reviews, Sundara has BETTER or WIDER soundstage than Deva. I'm not sure if it is better (more realistic) sounding or wider or both? Then I'm concerned that if Sundara has wider soundstage, Sundara will then have weaker or more recessed vocals than Deva?

I like both HD560S and Deva as a balance between vocals and soundstage. Deva is probably the most recessed I can go; I do not want to go anymore recessed.

My plan is to keep HD560S for gaming and select music (vocals). Get Sundara be my main go to for music. And Deva will be passed on to my kid.

Edit: clarify question on Sundara vs Deva soundstage.

I can provide a comparison between HD560S and Sundara.

Detail retrieval is very good on both but the HD560S has a slight edge over Sundara. At the same time I prefer to listen to the Sundara since they sound a bit more laid back in comparison.

In terms of soundstage I would also say it’s a close call but HD560S may be slightly wider. Soundstage on Sundara is overall different, less wide but deeper I would say.

Nonetheless, I prefer Sundara over HD560S at any time. HD560S can sound bright sometimes and even a bit harsh. HD560S need more driving power to sound really good.

The Sundara have a smoother presentation and detail retrieval is also very good.
The Sundara sound more neutral musical whereas HD560S mostly neutral technical.

Jul 5, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #3,860 of 4,255

Thanks for input. How is your take on vocal presence between HD560S and Sundara?

Jul 6, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #3,862 of 4,255

Detail retrieval is very good on both but the HD560S has a slight edge over Sundara. At the same time I prefer to listen to the Sundara since they sound a bit more laid back in comparison.

In terms of soundstage I would also say it’s a close call but HD560S may be slightly wider. Soundstage on Sundara is overall different, less wide but deeper I would say.

Nonetheless, I prefer Sundara over HD560S at any time. HD560S can sound bright sometimes and even a bit harsh. HD560S need more driving power to sound really good.

The Sundara have a smoother presentation and detail retrieval is also very good.
The Sundara sound more neutral musical whereas HD560S mostly neutral technical.
Spot on!

Jul 10, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #3,863 of 4,255
So I set the 28 frequency in Oratorys eq to 50 and threw in +15 db into it and I dont know how i listened to these headphones any other way before. I might alter it a bit but im really enjoying it so far. i know its probably an eq sin or something to some people :laughing:

Jul 10, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #3,864 of 4,255
So I set the 28 frequency in Oratorys eq to 50 and threw in +15 db into it and I dont know how i listened to these headphones any other way before. I might alter it a bit but im really enjoying it so far. i know its probably an eq sin or something to some people :laughing:
it's not a sin, but if you do +15 db you would need to pre-amp at least -15 db, otherwise risk running into digital clipping.
since the sundara is not the easiet to drive, you would need quite a capable amp for -15 db with much headroom to make the sundara play loud enough.

Jul 10, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #3,865 of 4,255
it's not a sin, but if you do +15 db you would need to pre-amp at least -15 db, otherwise risk running into digital clipping.
since the sundara is not the easiet to drive, you would need quite a capable amp for -15 db with much headroom to make the sundara play loud enough.
Yeah I’m at -17 pre amp. The dial is 3 o clock on my amp so there’s still headroom.

Jul 12, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #3,866 of 4,255
Does anything think the Sundara matches up ok with the iFi hip Dac or Sony TA-ZH1ES?

Jul 13, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #3,869 of 4,255
So no one knows if this can use the Sony TA-ZH1ES?

Jul 13, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #3,870 of 4,255
So no one knows if this can use the Sony TA-ZH1ES?
according to https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/headphones-headphone-amplifiers/ta-zh1es/specifications
it has 1200mW output power @ 32 ohm impedance at the balanced port, and 300mW at unbalanced.

my smsl sh-6 has 1300mW output power @ 32 ohm and has plenty of headroom driving the sundara.
my fiio btr5 has 220mW output on balanced port, and still has some headroom.

so yes, your 2.000$ amp has enough power on all outputs.

for the ifi thing they have this calculator for their products: https://ifi-audio.com/home/headphone-calculator/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back