Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Mar 8, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #3,211 of 4,255
i have the sundara and topping a50s and i don't like the synergy, if i take the a90 will it improve the sound of the sundara?

I've recently been using the Oratory Optimum Hifi Curve EQ settings on the Sundara and I absolutely love it.

If you haven't tried EQing your set, I highly recommend it. There are a few Sundara EQ options to try here. Just scroll down to the list of Hifiman headphones.

Mar 8, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #3,212 of 4,255
i have the sundara and topping a50s and i don't like the synergy, if i take the a90 will it improve the sound of the sundara?
No.
It’s like trying to fix the uninspiring ride of your car by buying gas off of Shell instead of Q8 where you usually go get it. Not going to make a difference.
Equalisation is a good idea but like Ichos mentioned, it very much pays off if you can pinpoint what it is you want changed or done differently..before you start searching for a fix:)

Mar 8, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #3,215 of 4,255
Here is a cheap option, this is much better than the stock cable. I also don't believe in cables affecting sound signature so no point paying a lot more unless the cable looks and feels super good. This one did the trick for me

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0829LSN7W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went for it on Amazon France, cheap enough, and if I don't like it it will be a backup for a more substantial one anyway

I did the same, and I'm also happy with this cable. Flexible, good build quality, longer, and the connectors at the bottom are substantially smaller than the stock cable, making it easier to store the headset on a stand without the cable at the bottom being stressed

Mar 8, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #3,216 of 4,255
I did the same, and I'm also happy with this cable. Flexible, good build quality, longer, and the connectors at the bottom are substantially smaller than the stock cable, making it easier to store the headset on a stand without the cable at the bottom being stressed
Yes, I got mine and I agree. Only thing is the braid is not very smooth to the touch, but you can’t expect luxury for 14€. It certainly does the job very adequately, and the screw on quarter inch is nice for desktop amp

Mar 8, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #3,217 of 4,255
the sound of the sundara is not pleasant and musical with the topping a50s d50s and p50, it is a fatiguing sound in the mid-highs.
The Sundara is by nature a little bit bright and fatiguing or at least the version I own (don't know about the pad rumors).

Now I haven't heard by person the Toppings you mention but from what I am reading they are on the clinical - plastic sound presentation.

So I guess I you need to warm things up a bit and make sound more engaging you should consider more "musical" partners.

I prefer the Sundara from the iFi ZEN CAN and definitely from Schiit Vali 2+.
I could also suggest a more musical DAC like ZEN DAC or Schiit multibit.

I even like the SMSL M100 mkii if you are on a budget.

Mar 8, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #3,218 of 4,255
The Sundara is by nature a little bit bright and fatiguing or at least the version I own (don't know about the pad rumors).

Now I haven't heard by person the Toppings you mention but from what I am reading they are on the clinical - plastic sound presentation.

So I guess I you need to warm things up a bit and make sound more engaging you should consider more "musical" partners.

I prefer the Sundara from the iFi ZEN CAN and definitely from Schiit Vali 2+.
I could also suggest a more musical DAC like ZEN DAC or Schiit multibit.

I even like the SMSL M100 mkii if you are on a budget.
ok, thanks

Mar 8, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #3,219 of 4,255
the sound of the sundara is not pleasant and musical with the topping a50s d50s and p50, it is a fatiguing sound in the mid-highs.
I have been listening to my Sundara (latest edition) the last week using a D50s along with a Little Dot 1+ hybrid tube amp. The D50s has a Muses opamp, while the Little Dot is running a OPA 2107 opamp and vintage Hytron 5854 tubes. I'm finding this combo great with the Sundara. It has the warmth and detail I'm looking for. Putting a warmer amp in the chain should do wonders.

Mar 8, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #3,221 of 4,255
^That rather depends on what pads he’s got fitted on his Sundara. The Oratory settings only work for the older styled pads. Implementing them on the new pads is nuts.
The purple one is the one Oratory has made some great EQ advice for...the brown is the frequency response of the ‘new’ pads:
0B4AE179-2C3B-4496-958F-AB758779D283.png

Mar 8, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #3,223 of 4,255
Speaking of pads. My original pads are starting to come apart. What are the best options? Just reorder from Hifiman or are there after market options?

Mar 8, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #3,224 of 4,255
^That rather depends on what pads he’s got fitted on his Sundara. The Oratory settings only work for the older styled pads. Implementing them on the new pads is nuts.
The purple one is the one Oratory has made some great EQ advice for...the brown is the frequency response of the ‘new’ pads:
What are the pali pads and what the default ones?

My Sundara are 2021 unit but they don't sound like the brown graph.

Then I wonder if this is legit because I don't understand how a new set of pads can bring so big differences.
Especially boosting 20-40Hz and 1-2Khz.
That doesn't seem right!

I haven't encountered yet an aftermarket pad to boost 20-40Hz at any given headphone.
Especially a whole 6db.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #3,225 of 4,255
0B4AE179-2C3B-4496-958F-AB758779D283.png
I partially agree with this, applying the EQ to the brown pad will not be "accurate" according to the Harman measurements but it will still make a somehow similar difference from stock, making the sound a bit warmer with more present bass. I think it is still worth the try and one can always customize further.
It is a shame Hifiman has created this mess with the Sundara pads though, i got mine 1 moth ago and i still got the old non updated pads (luckily i guess).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back