Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Dec 29, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #2,971 of 4,259
$1k AU is $760 US right now.

* The HE-6se (ir still at $699) crushes the Sundara.

* Ananda overall is better.

* HD-600 on an OTL amp easily better,

* Used/modified HE-500 throttles the Sundara too.

* Used Focal Clear are $725-750 range.

So no, not in my opinion.

Sorry I was talking about the Australian Market, We cant get any of these in Australia for Under $1000

For example:
Ananda here is $1300
HE-6SE is $2100
HD600 + Good Amp over easily over $1000
HE-500 Awesome headphone - impossible to find.
Clear $2100 new / $1400 used
Sundara $596

We get ripped off good here in Aus.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #2,973 of 4,259
Sorry I was talking about the Australian Market, We cant get any of these in Australia for Under $1000

For example:
Ananda here is $1300
HE-6SE is $2100
Sundara $596

I knew they got ripped in Europe good, but this might be worse. Might still be in speaker land full time at those prices.

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #2,974 of 4,259
Well this is disappointing. I just got my headphones back from Hifiman, however, these have the same problem as my original pair. A very loud and annoying ticking noise in the left driver in the sub-bass from 20-60 hz. I was able to easily record it with the mic on my iPhone when doing a frequency sweep.

I've sent the audio file along with a description to their customer service so we will see what happens, but how can 3 pairs have issues,2 with the same issue and one with the mids/vocal issue that the other person in AUS had. The mids on these are perfect, no distortion or issues.

It's really frustrating as I love the Sundara sound, I just want a pair that works.

Dec 30, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #2,975 of 4,259
You have good ears........:)

And my Collection here......i need to update it, as ive purchased about 70 more headphones since i last updated my Bio, and about 20 more Dac Amps.

I can't tell you , yet, how the K371 sounds, but i already disagree with some member here who says the Treble has no clarity.. As that can't be correct, as the one thing that all AKG headphones will always have, is extra or spicy Treble.
Mine are in the box, waiting for me to try them.....which i will do in a little while, and then i'll come here and tell you what they offer us.

And the R70/x, is the best Headphone that AT makes........ What i mean is......Its the most neutral, accurate, and balanced.
Its almost as if they were trying to make a perfected HD600, as this headphone is so pleasant to hear.... and accurate.
Light as a feather, also.
Agree on the R70X thoughts, I've given them a quick demo along with the K371 on the 23rd. I've seen reviews that question how well controlled it is in the bass, but my demo wasn't thorough enough to delve into that.

$1k AU is $760 US right now.

* The HE-6se (ir still at $699) crushes the Sundara.

* Ananda overall is better.

* HD-600 on an OTL amp easily better,

* Used/modified HE-500 throttles the Sundara too.

* Used Focal Clear are $725-750 range.

So no, not in my opinion.
Definitely not accounting for tax and additional logistical costs.

For example:
Ananda here is $1300
HE-6SE is $2100
Sundara $596

And you're off in the other direction here. :joy:

HIFIMAN have a store on Amazon AU now, so that's usually your best stop for the Sundara, the HE400i 2020, the Deva, the Arya and the Ananda:

https://www.amazon.com.au/s?me=AW4H02A2WKCHT&marketplaceID=A39IBJ37TRP1C6

With promotional codes and cashback services, you can get the Ananda sub-$1000.

Addicted to Audio handle Focal distribution in AU, I believe, and they had the Clear Pro version for $1100 for B-stock with full warranty (i.e. refurbs), but that's a price that pops up 3-4 times a year.

We also get really good pricing on the ATH-R70X at around $370-$440, which would probably be a better choice than the HD 600 if you didn't want to push the amp costs to astronomical levels to pair with it, as well as the HD6XX being back in regular distribution by Drop.

HE-6SE and HE-500 would definitely be more of a challenge to bargain hunt for, especially the latter given that it's essentially a vintage item now.

Dec 30, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #2,976 of 4,259
Well, my experience is..... i have to hear it, to know.
However, now that you pointed this out, ive been researching a few reviews...
Like this one...
And i can state that this is NOT what my K371s are providing, regarding Bass response.... so, that is why they are boxed up and heading back to the Retailer....:)

---

""""The K371, to me, has one of the best bass tunings of any headphone I have tried in the sub $200 price range. if you are looking for an affordable closed-back with deep and balanced bass. """""
There were production issues early on, but I would definitely double check it's not a fitment issue, as that has been known to be a concern for some people with the K371.

Lack of an appropriate pad seal would suck the bass right out.

Dec 31, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #2,977 of 4,259

For example:
Ananda here is $1300
HE-6SE is $2100
Sundara $596

1.3 Aus dollar to USD. Those prices are more than 30% above US prices.

I'm also curious if people make more in aus dollars to make up for the difference? I guess this is difficult to quantify.

@TeamHiFiMAN

Was there any revision done on Sundara itself for sound? Are recent ones tuned differently than the original?

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #2,978 of 4,259
""""The K371, to me, has one of the best bass tunings of any headphone I have tried in the sub $200 price range. if you are looking for an affordable closed-back with deep and balanced bass. """""
I do like the closed dynamic bass of K371 as well, but 371 does have high quantity of bass. 371 bass is great compared to lots of bass I've heard including Meze classic 99 which sounds boomy and too inflated sounding in comparison. 371 tighter.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #2,979 of 4,259
My latest review of the Hifiman Sundara. Hope it helps!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hifiman-sundara.23041/reviews

DSCF2675-1.jpg

Jan 2, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #2,980 of 4,259
Hello, new owner of Sundara here. Sometimes after a listening session, in the silence, I'm noticing soft metallic crinkling/popping noises(similar to carbonated soda plinking against the aluminum can, just less frequent and softer). Can persist up to 10+ mins and seems to happen more often if the headphones weren't used for awhile. Sound and performance of headphone seems perfectly fine otherwise. Anyone else experienced this behavior? Warrant a return?

The Sundara is simply connected to PC sound card or mobile through stock cables, nothing fancy. Soft metallic noise can occur in both.

Jan 3, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #2,981 of 4,259
Hello, new owner of Sundara here. Sometimes after a listening session, in the silence, I'm noticing soft metallic crinkling/popping noises(similar to carbonated soda plinking against the aluminum can, just less frequent and softer). Can persist up to 10+ mins and seems to happen more often if the headphones weren't used for awhile. Sound and performance of headphone seems perfectly fine otherwise. Anyone else experienced this behavior? Warrant a return?

The Sundara is simply connected to PC sound card or mobile through stock cables, nothing fancy. Soft metallic noise can occur in both.

I have the same sound but only when i'm physically moving the headphones... It sounds like the suction of the seal is moving the drivers.. i had this sound with other IEMS/headphones when moving... Like moving the drivers and etc, so i gotta be very careful with it will putting it on..

i dont have any of these sounds while in the silence tho..

Jan 3, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #2,982 of 4,259
I have the same sound but only when i'm physically moving the headphones... It sounds like the suction of the seal is moving the drivers.. i had this sound with other IEMS/headphones when moving... Like moving the drivers and etc, so i gotta be very careful with it will putting it on..

i dont have any of these sounds while in the silence tho..
At first I thought it was related to movement too but could definitely still hear it staying still. Doesn't seems to affect sound of headphone but it just bothers me while working on the PC hearing this weird metallic noise sometimes. Really love the sound of the headphone though, I'll probably just order a replacement. Thank you for the reply.

Jan 3, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #2,983 of 4,259
At first I thought it was related to movement too but could definitely still hear it staying still. Doesn't seems to affect sound of headphone but it just bothers me while working on the PC hearing this weird metallic noise sometimes. Really love the sound of the headphone though, I'll probably just order a replacement. Thank you for the reply.
I would confirm it's not the sound of hair rustling on the pads as you move your head or jaw. Stubble/beard hair would be particularly noisy.

Jan 4, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #2,985 of 4,259
Hi guys,

Just want to share my current experience with the Sundara. I got them about 3 weeks ago, so early days yet. They work brilliantly with my xDuoo XD05 Plus DAC/AMP (AK4493EQ, stock op amp) with excellent technical ability and some amazing detail retrieval.

However they have been taken to another level using the xDuoo AUX out / DAC only to my Little Dot I+ with Voskhod 6Ж1П-ЕВ tubes. Breathes some realism and natural timbre to the set that I only now see was missing. Works a treat with acoustic/classical etc. No apparent loss of stage / imaging / detail retrieval, in fact the details in the treble sparkle with so much more life but with zero sibilance.

I think there may be some slight loss of attack, depth and texture to the bass but certainly not to an anaemic-level. If I do want that bass back I can just switch back to the xDuoo DAC/AMP combo (I also have some Mullard tubes on the way which may help this setup reach a little deeper).

I hope others get the chance to experiment in a similar vein too!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back