Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Dec 24, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #2,941 of 4,259
Guys, how to tell the difference between the old and new revised pads on the Sundara? Are only the 2020 revision being sold now? No chance of running into the old one?

Resolve explained that on the new model the pads bulge where the pleather meets the cloth material, and on the old model it's very flush/ flat corner appearance. Can't really confirm this, but seems very unlikely you'd get an old model at this point anyway?

Dec 24, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #2,942 of 4,259
Resolve explained that on the new model the pads bulge where the pleather meets the cloth material, and on the old model it's very flush/ flat corner appearance. Can't really confirm this, but seems very unlikely you'd get an old model at this point anyway?
Not surprising as I felt the old Sundara wasn't sealing well enough.

I would like to know what the new pads are called? Can we buy them separately? I'm curious what it does to other headphones.

Dec 24, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #2,946 of 4,259
Are they called Palipads, but revised? So revision was done on Palipads?

@TeamHiFiMAN Can you provide clarification? Are these new types of pads, and are they available for purchase? What are they called?

Here's a photo that a user shared over at the Headphones forum. This definitely matches the description Resolve gave of the old pads, and this is very distinguishable from the ones I received.

They won't say revision on them, they'd just be the PaliPad.

Attachments

• OldPad.jpg
    OldPad.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #2,947 of 4,259
No idea on the name. I purchased a set this year, maybe in the summer or just a bit before. Before purchasing I did lots of reading as I'd seen "the silent revision" mentioned a number of times. Turns out, there really wasn't anything silent about it as it's only the pads and those are right out, front and center for everyone to see/compare.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #2,949 of 4,259
Here's a photo that a user shared over at the Headphones forum. This definitely matches the description Resolve gave of the old pads, and this is very distinguishable from the ones I received.

They won't say revision on them, they'd just be the PaliPad.
Yup, those look like Palipads on new Hifimans, but I've seen issue it causes with HE6SE, so I wonder Hifiman tweaked the Palipads to a new revision?

Because OG HE6SE had similar upper-mids dip with Palipads.

Dec 24, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #2,950 of 4,259
Yup, those look like Palipads on new Hifimans, but I've seen issue it causes with HE6SE, so I wonder Hifiman tweaked the Palipads to a new revision?

Because OG HE6SE had similar upper-mids dip with Palipads.

The 'revision' isn't significantly different than the old appearance, so maybe you aren't understanding (or maybe I'm not understanding you). That photo I linked before is what the old pad looks like, the most distinguishing difference is how 'right angle' the pads look compared to the new ones. The new ones look puffier and rounder. Here's a pic of my pad in roughly the same position as that previous photo (obviously used for a few months, but brand new the pleather sort of bulges like this in the same way):

Attachments

• NewPad.jpg
    NewPad.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 0
Dec 25, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #2,951 of 4,259
Ho Ho Ho. Merry Christmas everybody!

Santa arrived and brought me SUNDARA!

I recently picked up a second NOS dac (DAC Box S FL) so as a consequence I setup another audio exploration station using leftover bits and bobs.. Since this is not my main, end game setup, I wanted to stay in budget, but have something different to the dynamics that I truly love (HD800). So planars it is, and Sundara won out!

3A6B07C5-BF9B-4DDA-BA94-C3668299E577.jpeg

DE32F848-F201-4A54-BBD4-D510C0BEBDF8.jpeg

21713538-9AA4-4D7D-885C-D1B3ECDBF948.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #2,953 of 4,259
Do you guys think this would be enough juice for the Sundaras? If not, I have an Adcom GFA-1A & Carver PM-600, but they're a bit older :D

Parasound_01.jpg

Dec 28, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #2,954 of 4,259
Are they called Palipads, but revised? So revision was done on Palipads?

@TeamHiFiMAN Can you provide clarification? Are these new types of pads, and are they available for purchase? What are they called?
Hi there,

Yes the stock earpads for Sundara is the Palipads, here is the link to our online store:
http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/palipad.html

We've only improved the earpads for enhanced durability, but didn’t change the shape or size, so actually we never have the "Stealth Revision version".

Sorry for the confusion.

Best regards,
April

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Dec 28, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #2,955 of 4,259
Hi there,

Yes the stock earpads for Sundara is the Palipads, here is the link to our online store:
http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/palipad.html

We've only improved the earpads for enhanced durability, but didn’t change the shape or size, so actually we never have the "Stealth Revision version".

Sorry for the confusion.

Best regards,
April
i have seen measurements and there was changes to the tonal characteristic of the Sundara and it was stated to be caused by a changed in the pads the come with Sundara. Are you saying no changes were made to Sundara pads at some point in time to makes changes to the sound or perhaps improvement? Has Sundara pads always been Palipads or something different earlier on?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back