Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Sep 28, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #2,731 of 4,255
Just bought a Sundara and I'm loving the sound. Currently, I'm running it with a mojo. Would adding something like a magni create some noticeable improvements?

Sep 28, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #2,732 of 4,255
Question.

9794068ed832d1a5ccacd05c4b54f1bf2a400928.png

I know the silent revision has been discussed about a thousand times but what is this 'dust cover improvement'? I bought a sundara recently, and the dust cover seems no different than when they were furst introduced.

The only change was to the glue used on the pads, not sure where the idea of a dust cover change has come from but the internet is a great source of endless speculation and chinese whispers...... anyway, no dust cover changes.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Sep 28, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #2,733 of 4,255
Still my favorite cans at this pricepoint by far.

/ /Dan

Sep 28, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #2,734 of 4,255
The only change was to the glue used on the pads, not sure where the idea of a dust cover change has come from but the internet is a great source of endless speculation and chinese whispers...... anyway, no dust cover changes.

This is good to hear, as the self-destruction of the original pads has been the only problem I have had with the Sundaras.

Sep 28, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #2,736 of 4,255
Could anyone suggest a cheaper replacement cable for Sundara?
What's cheaper? I was asked that question when I posed the same query to here when looking for some 4.4 balanced cables.

Items/features to help anyone answering:
  • Balanced or not?
  • If balanced, 2.5 or 4.4?
  • If not balanced, 3.5?
  • Right angle connector on the DAP/AMP side or straight?
  • Price range?

Sep 29, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #2,738 of 4,255
I just today got my Hart Audio cables, including the Sundara, along with the interconnects - and they work perfectly well. I'm shocked how much more open and weighty the Sundaras sound using that cable (it's the first balanced cable I've used with the Sundara so it may just be the fact that it's my first time hearing them balanced). But Hart Audio is so reasonably priced and the interconnect system is awesome, it lets me go back between XLR and 1/4" so quickly and easily. Cannot recommend them enough!

Sep 29, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #2,739 of 4,255
I am looking for 3.5mm, straight connector, under $25.
I doubt you’ll find anything you’d want at that price point, frankly. How long Are you looking for? Periapt’s 4’ portable cable is $40, though tou need to change the hp-end termination x might cost a few bucks more. Might b some on amazon, look around.

Sep 30, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #2,740 of 4,255
Hello to all my 2020 version Sundara arrived.
The pads are really comfortable but the cycle is not big like 1990 or oval like HD6 or HD5 series and the down side of my ears are touching the pads .
Cable length is perfect for me also doesnt have any microphonics but it keeps a shape memmory.
The are on the heavy side but its also ok never get uncomfortable even after 3-4 hours.
These need a lot of power to sound good , compared to hd650 hd600 hd660 dt 770 250 and dt1990 and i am not talking about volume ... They just sound thin on dacs like ifi micro bl and no way to work even with LG V sabre series they just sound distorted.
Also they leak the most sound of all my open backs.
About sound they sound energetic fast very fast there is a lot of air between the instruments and also soundstage feels out of your head .
These scream excitement, do i like them ? Yeah for sure and i bealive that people looking for this sound signature will love them.
Are they my favorite ? No the reason is that i want clarity and resolution but not pushed to me like that, i want pin point direction but i dont want so big seperation between the instruments i want them to blend together like it is in real life , i want smoother warmer representation ... Going from my favorite headphone to Sundara its like going from vinyl to cd they sound digital.
But its all about taste for example i like a presentation like u are inside a home with wooden walls the singer in front of me and instruments behind her. Sundara takes the singer takes the instruments separate them in a room clean everything from noise and give it to u.

Attachments

• 20200929_182517.jpg
    20200929_182517.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Sep 30, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #2,741 of 4,255
Hello to all my 2020 version Sundara arrived.
The pads are really comfortable but the cycle is not big like 1990 or oval like HD6 or HD5 series and the down side of my ears are touching the pads .
Cable length is perfect for me also doesnt have any microphonics but it keeps a shape memmory.
The are on the heavy side but its also ok never get uncomfortable even after 3-4 hours.
These need a lot of power to sound good , compared to hd650 hd600 hd660 dt 770 250 and dt1990 and i am not talking about volume ... They just sound thin on dacs like ifi micro bl and no way to work even with LG V sabre series they just sound distorted.
Also they leak the most sound of all my open backs.
About sound they sound energetic fast very fast there is a lot of air between the instruments and also soundstage feels out of your head .
These scream excitement, do i like them ? Yeah for sure and i bealive that people looking for this sound signature will love them.
Are they my favorite ? No the reason is that i want clarity and resolution but not pushed to me like that, i want pin point direction but i dont want so big seperation between the instruments i want them to blend together like it is in real life , i want smoother warmer representation ... Going from my favorite headphone to Sundara its like going from vinyl to cd they sound digital.
But its all about taste for example i like a presentation like u are inside a home with wooden walls the singer in front of me and instruments behind her. Sundara takes the singer takes the instruments separate them in a room clean everything from noise and give it to u.

I don't really like software EQ, but using a Loki and mildly turning up the 2 left-most knobs has given me a richer sound. The Sundaras can use out more bass, you just need to force it a little. I also turned down the treble a little.

Sep 30, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #2,742 of 4,255
I don't really like software EQ, but using a Loki and mildly turning up the 2 left-most knobs has given me a richer sound. The Sundaras can use out more bass, you just need to force it a little. I also turned down the treble a little.
Sundara sound amazing if i had to change something is not the bass . i would need smaller soundstage and a little bit warmer high bass thats it and would be perfect to my ears.
But honestly its nice to have different headphones for different mood. They are going next to my favorites because they are soooo clear and energetic without beeing bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back