Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
May 12, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #2,372 of 4,255
If I were to get an amp & dac, my dap would reduced to music app and sd card, right? Why would it be useful to add another dac on top of the one present in my dap? Otherwise, I would prefer not to do so, ie simple plug the dap into amp. Thanks

You can certainly do whatever you like. Whatever works for you.

May 12, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #2,374 of 4,255
If I were to get an amp & dac, my dap would reduced to music app and sd card, right? Why would it be useful to add another dac on top of the one present in my dap? Otherwise, I would prefer not to do so, ie simple plug the dap into amp. Thanks

Because of DAC chip quality, perhaps the device (phone, dap, ipod etc) does not have a dac chip that is well regarded, you can use dual AK4493EQ from a fiio q5s for DAC. Exactly why people buy higher quality DACs

May 13, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #2,376 of 4,255
You guys are in deed on high end gears. I am on a strict budget, so do you know of any sub USD 300 amps that may play well with Sundara?
I’m using a Schiit Asgard 3 and Lyr 3 (SS & tube hybrid, repectively). Sundara is normally with Lyr, but today and yesterday Inlistened to it all day in the office on Asgard, and I’m very very happy. Love the soundstage, the neutral/warm sound, and the comfort. Ymmv. But I’m very pleased with the combo. Normally, the HE4xx is in the office, and the Sundaras are so much better.

May 13, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #2,377 of 4,255
I’m using a Schiit Asgard 3 and Lyr 3 (SS & tube hybrid, repectively). Sundara is normally with Lyr, but today and yesterday Inlistened to it all day in the office on Asgard, and I’m very very happy. Love the soundstage, the neutral/warm sound, and the comfort. Ymmv. But I’m very pleased with the combo. Normally, the HE4xx is in the office, and the Sundaras are so much better.
Hi. Perhaps you care to say whether you think Magni 3+ or Heresy would be a better pairing with Sundara? Schiit website description leaves me a little baffled as I’ve never bought an external amp before. Thanks

May 14, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #2,378 of 4,255
Have just ordered a sundara and am looking into what kind of amp/dac to pair with it in the future.

I currently have a schiit fulla 2 and a styleaudio carat HD-1V to try 1st (previously paired with a HD6XX but was not impressed by it/did not use it much so sold it.

budget-wise, i am flexible and am considering the following (open to other suggestions):
Magni 3 + modi 3
THX AAA 789 (with the SMSL SU8v2 perhaps down the road)
Asgard 3 (either with built-in DAC or pair the bifrost 2?)

Thanks in advance

May 14, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #2,379 of 4,255
Have just ordered a sundara and am looking into what kind of amp/dac to pair with it in the future.

I currently have a schiit fulla 2 and a styleaudio carat HD-1V to try 1st (previously paired with a HD6XX but was not impressed by it/did not use it much so sold it.

budget-wise, i am flexible and am considering the following (open to other suggestions):
Magni 3 + modi 3
THX AAA 789 (with the SMSL SU8v2 perhaps down the road)
Asgard 3 (either with built-in DAC or pair the bifrost 2?)

Thanks in advance

Asgard 3 and Bifrost 2 would be nice, but that's a fair bit of coin. :relaxed:

I have the SMSL SU-8 feeding a couple of different amps and it sounds pretty good, but I am curious about the Bifrost 2. I could see that being my last DAC for a very long time.

May 14, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #2,380 of 4,255
Asgard 3 and Bifrost 2 would be nice, but that's a fair bit of coin. :relaxed:

I have the SMSL SU-8 feeding a couple of different amps and it sounds pretty good, but I am curious about the Bifrost 2. I could see that being my last DAC for a very long time.
lol yes, they would be indeed.
I will definitely want to audition them before plonking that wad of $.
unfortunately, the local schiit distributor(s) seems to have limited selection.
am wondering if the upcoming can jam (Singapore) will have them (and perhaps others to audition as well)?

you think the bifrost 2 > SMSL SU-8? i just saw the SMSL SU-8 closed on on massdrop but did not place an order as I was still researching on stuff then.

I also have the custom art x mass drop FIBAE CIEM, any of the options above not suitable for it as well?

May 14, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #2,381 of 4,255
am wondering if the upcoming can jam (Singapore) will have them (and perhaps others to audition as well)?

you think the bifrost 2 > SMSL SU-8? i just saw the SMSL SU-8 closed on on massdrop but did not place an order as I was still researching on stuff then.

I also have the custom art x mass drop FIBAE CIEM, any of the options above not suitable for it as well?
1 more consideration to add, I have a set of audioengine A5 speakers which run from styleaudio amp/dac, would the magni/modi schiit stack be able to support this + headphones from the computer?

May 14, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #2,382 of 4,255

All my research is saying the Bifrost 2 is a big step up from the SU-8. I tend to research things to death, especially when they're expensive. The Bifrost 2 is $699.00 for Americans, but my landed cost in Canada is very close on $1,200.00!

I do enjoy my SU-8 and the price was certainly right. If money is tight it's a great buy with LOTS of options.
And the Asgard 3 sounds like a very good buy also.

May 14, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #2,383 of 4,255
1 more consideration to add, I have a set of audioengine A5 speakers which run from styleaudio amp/dac, would the magni/modi schiit stack be able to support this + headphones from the computer?

You could split the outputs on the DAC via a split RCA cable to feed the amp and the headphones.

May 14, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #2,384 of 4,255
By the way, I find that the $99 JDS Labs Atom drives the Sundara great. Especially on high gain, there is plenty of power and headroom. That being said, the ADI-2 DAC does better, not that surprising though.

First full week of listening to the Sundara, my positive thoughts on it are still the same. I even prefer it to the Elex for most classical/instrumental genres. You get that nice planar width and natural presentation the Elex just can't do.
This week I was experimenting with EQ more, and the Sundara responds incredibly well to EQ. For certain bright tracks, I prefer to bring down the upper mids just a touch, -2 dB at 4 kHz, and also the treble at 9.5 kHz. And -4 dB from 12 to 13 kHz which I find to be the most elevated region compared to the 58X and Elex. I'm pretty sure I have the most recent revision of the Sundara with the updated pads, since some reviewers think there was a stealth revision at some point last year, don't know if that's true or not. But my Sundara sounds very well balanced except for that one bright spot from 12 to 13 kHz. It's great though that the Sundara doesn't have any sharp peaks anywhere. It's more like gradual elevations spanning a larger area. Unlike the Elex which does have a sharp bright peak at 10.5 kHz to my ears. So the Sundara is nice and smooth, kind of like the 600 series Sennheisers, but with much better technical performance. And with some small EQ adjustments, it's even better for me.

May 15, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #2,385 of 4,255
All my research is saying the Bifrost 2 is a big step up from the SU-8. I tend to research things to death, especially when they're expensive. The Bifrost 2 is $699.00 for Americans, but my landed cost in Canada is very close on $1,200.00!

I do enjoy my SU-8 and the price was certainly right. If money is tight it's a great buy with LOTS of options.
And the Asgard 3 sounds like a very good buy also.
Same here, researching is part of the (sometimes confusing) fun!

I’ll probably look at modi or su8 1st then.
The bifrost don’t seem to be directly available in Singapore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back