Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
May 16, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #2,402 of 4,250
May 16, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #2,403 of 4,250
I have zero interest in Bluetooth headphones, but I am probably not their market.

Oh that's the thing, they can work wired as well (?)

Honestly, I use them over 90% wired too, prefer the sound with TR-AMP as source, and other DAPs / DAC/AMPS rather than the wired module,I see more like an extra

May 16, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #2,404 of 4,250
Oh that's the thing, they can work wired as well (?)

Honestly, I use them over 90% wired too, prefer the sound with TR-AMP as source, and other DAPs / DAC/AMPS rather than the wired module,I see more like an extra

Never really an issue for me. Most of my listening is done at home. Sometimes when I go out for a walk the cable can be an annoyance, but no biggie. But I can see if you're young and always on the go, the cable would be a pain in the butt. In that case you might be willing to give up a little bit of quality for a lot of conveinence. Different strokes...

May 16, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #2,405 of 4,250
I prefer one simple aspect about the sundaras.. they have a minimalistic wonderful functional design.
"Less is better" and not a forced design that looks like cheap plastic with ugly brown. I like cables and my own dacs too

Well those Devas have a clear different target customer and they will really be what they are looking for... but night and day difference for me... (didnt say ugly because that would not be nice)

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #2,406 of 4,250
I prefer one simple aspect about the sundaras.. they have a minimalistic wonderful functional design.
"Less is better" and not a forced design that looks like cheap plastic with ugly brown. I like cables and my own dacs too

Well those Devas have a clear different target customer and they will really be what they are looking for... but night and day difference for me... (didnt say ugly because that would not be nice)

LMAO :)

Actually, I like seeing others voice their opinion, because it helps me get some input.

I like both, I've used Sundara for almost a year almost daily so I'm part of the Sundara lovers I'd say :)

May 16, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #2,407 of 4,250
Really if i would test them it would be a different story.
I guess if you dondt have sundaras and want some casual priced Hifiman headphones with their new nano diaphrem Stuff then you sure get an optimized newer version with more options..

I have to admit i dondt use them really at the moment but they sound pretty good especially on a tube amp

May 16, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #2,408 of 4,250
Based on my recollection of the 500 (been a few years), the Sundara is kind of a 500 without the 500s' problems, which for me were comfort and weight, build quality, and highs that could get a bit strident and grainy; Sundara's highs are much smoother. That said, the 500s did have better bass extension, though not as fast. From memory, I don't think the slam differs much, and the low-end dynamics are a little better on the Sundara, which might be a function of the speed of the Sundara.
The 500's are VERY heavy. There are two things about them I will never forget. The completely holographic soundstage and the magical tonal quality of the mids. Never equaled by anything I've owned or tried. The Sundara is still a version of the Hifiman house sound and in that respect it is a brother of a different mother from the 500. They sound related but not at all the same when you really seriously compare. There was magic in the 500 and magic is hard to replicate. I do like my Sundara and they are far less weight and very enjoyable, but HE500 not at all.

May 17, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #2,409 of 4,250
Is anyone considering replacing the Sundara with a Deva?

hmmm,,,mabye! What can I say and do? I just got Sundara, which actually look better on macho muscle men, yet I like em alot for their SQ. When I ordered Sundra I was not aware of this cute baby until you doped the seductive bomb by revealing them in your review here -- even if I wont use its BT module, not a chance, should I have bought these instead? Those Deva would def. fit my Asian feminine style better as presented by Hifiman.
femininedeva.jpg

copyright Hifiman

May 17, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #2,410 of 4,250
hmmm,,,mabye! What can I say and do? I just got Sundara, which actually look better on macho muscle men, yet I like em alot for their SQ. When I ordered Sundra I was not aware of this cute baby until you doped the seductive bomb by revealing them in your review here -- even if I wont use its BT module, not a chance, should I have bought these instead? Those Deva would def. fit my Asian feminine style better as presented by Hifiman.
femininedeva.jpg
copyright Hifiman

Aesthetically, Deva looks more feminine for sure! :)

Also, important thing, Deva is more comfortable than Sundara, which in the long run may matter more than it looks. My hair looks better after wearing it for long periods of time, though sundara has a more forward, more splashy and slightly brighter sound.

Deva has better sub bass extension and impact, more control, is wider, has more of an atmospheric presentation.

Sundara may work a bit better for rock, metal, really aggressive music. May also work a bit better for classical too.

Deva would work better for jazz, progressive, EDM, everything where soundstage is an important factor in making the decision.

May 18, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #2,411 of 4,250
Has anyone here had the chance to compare the Sundara to the original HE-500? I am interested in finding one to compare the two, since I've heard so many great things about the old HE-500. Specifically I'm wondering if there is better bass impact and dynamics on the HE-500, since it's a double sided magnet design.
There was a user on r/headphones subreddit that did a comparison as posted here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...ng_with_planars_a_hifiman_sundara_comparison/

I believe another head-fi member here also posted their impressions of the Sundara along with the HE-500 but I can't recall the member that gave their insight on it.

May 18, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #2,412 of 4,250
I own both:)

HE500: Neutral, warm, slightly bassy, thick midrange, details for days, big stage.
Sundara: Neutral, brightish, lean, airy, details for days, big stage.
The 500 is my favourite. It sounds more natural, has the best dynamics as well as this wonderful way around detail that sounds as warm as it is seductive...but it also weighs half a kilo.

May 18, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #2,413 of 4,250
Aesthetically, Deva looks more feminine for sure! :)

Also, important thing, Deva is more comfortable than Sundara, which in the long run may matter more than it looks. My hair looks better after wearing it for long periods of time, though sundara has a more forward, more splashy and slightly brighter sound.

Deva has better sub bass extension and impact, more control, is wider, has more of an atmospheric presentation.

Sundara may work a bit better for rock, metal, really aggressive music. May also work a bit better for classical too.

Deva would work better for jazz, progressive, EDM, everything where soundstage is an important factor in making the decision.
How about Ananda ?

is wider, has more of an atmospheric presentation.

This is the most important thing for me. I can't stand ''stereo'' headphones no matter how good they are. Headphone should sound holographic, atmospheric. It should have it's own room/atmosphere inside. DT 1990 fails at this feel. DT 770 really good at this. Now Deva is in my radar now. I'll check it out.

Last edited:
May 18, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #2,414 of 4,250
How about Ananda ?

This is the most important thing for me. I can't stand ''stereo'' headphones no matter how good they are. Headphone should sound holographic, atmospheric. It should have it's own room/atmosphere inside. DT 1990 fails at this feel. DT 770 really good at this. Now Deva is in my radar now. I'll check it out.

Deva should give you a good kick thanks to its soundstage.

Ananda is in another leage really, it is 3 times the price too :)

May 21, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #2,415 of 4,250
Ananda is in another leage really, it is 3 times the price too
I have both pairs of headphones in use at home.
Honestly, I often enjoy with Sundara. By tonality, I like it more than Ananda. Becouse it sound more neutral for me.
Ananda is very good headphones, it is a fact. But at the moment, if I needed to make a choice between two of it, I will choice Sundara. Especially considering the difference in price:slight_smile:
In this topic, people usually moving from the Sundara's up. But this is all pretty arbitrary. It depends on personal sound preferences and favorite genres in music.
Sundara is a good headphones with a neutral sound, and close to He560.
I prefer to listen classical music with HE560 and Sundara.
photo_2020-05-21_21-52-46.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back