Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Feb 24, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #1,606 of 4,255
I'm absolutely loving the sundaras. I'm wowed every time I put them on. I am a hifiman disciple now.

Of all the other hifimans in the their stable, sub 10k, what would you all recommend as my next purchase? Thanks

With that kind of money I would definitely buy Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC. But if you really must buy Hifiman, I guess Susvara is their best HP. I haven't heard them, but usually the most expensive is the best. :)

Feb 24, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #1,607 of 4,255
With that kind of money I would definitely buy Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC. But if you really must buy Hifiman, I guess Susvara is their best HP. I haven't heard them, but usually the most expensive is the best. :)
I have heard the Susvara before, its a lot more refined and natural compared to the Sundaras especially in the treble region. Its a little more tamed compared to the aggressive Sundara yet retains the very high level of detail.

However, the insane price increase over the Sundara absolutely throws value out the door. At 2000 dollars it'd make a more sense.

Feb 26, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #1,609 of 4,255
So I ordered these and will hopefully get it in a few weeks time.

I'm just worried about my current setup, which is just a Fiio Q5 (just new in the hobby) and I'm considering getting a dedicated desktop amp for it. I'm thinking of getting the JDSLabs Atom, and pairing it off with the Massdrop SDAC. I'm not sure if the SDAC is a better DAC than my Q5, and if it's better to just use the Q5 and just the Atom (or maybe an even cheaper hybrid tube amp, like Nobsound).

I tried the Sundara on Q5 on single ended, and it seems to just barely drive it with almost no headroom, so an alternative is that I just grab a balanced cable for the Sundaras and these should allow the Q5 to drive it with a lot of headroom.

What do you guys think is a better option?

Feb 26, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #1,610 of 4,255
So I ordered these and will hopefully get it in a few weeks time.

I'm just worried about my current setup, which is just a Fiio Q5 (just new in the hobby) and I'm considering getting a dedicated desktop amp for it. I'm thinking of getting the JDSLabs Atom, and pairing it off with the Massdrop SDAC. I'm not sure if the SDAC is a better DAC than my Q5, and if it's better to just use the Q5 and just the Atom (or maybe an even cheaper hybrid tube amp, like Nobsound).

I tried the Sundara on Q5 on single ended, and it seems to just barely drive it with almost no headroom, so an alternative is that I just grab a balanced cable for the Sundaras and these should allow the Q5 to drive it with a lot of headroom.

What do you guys think is a better option?

I'm currently using the Sundara with the Atom amp and it is a great pairing. If you want to add some flavour to the headphones, the Atom won't do that, if you want reference sound then grab the Atom.

Feb 26, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #1,611 of 4,255
I'm currently using the Sundara with the Atom amp and it is a great pairing. If you want to add some flavour to the headphones, the Atom won't do that, if you want reference sound then grab the Atom.
Good point on having a reference sound, thanks! Due to that, I'm thinking that maybe I should just get two amps, an Atom for that reference sound and a Loxjie P20 for some hybrid tubey goodness. I'll use my Q5 as a DAC for now, it measures neutral enough, until Massdrop decides to re-release their balanced SDAC again. :)

Feb 26, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #1,612 of 4,255
The sundara's started looking interesting to me as it looks like the headband looks more comfortable then my current headphones the R70x's as the flaps on those starting the hurt my head after owning them for a couple of years. So I was wondering if any also have or had a R70X and compared them to the Sundara.

Feb 26, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #1,614 of 4,255
Ok, I'm not very impressed with the quality of the stock pads. Are they easy to replace and what are some good 3rd party pads to try? There are a lot of replacement pads out there that are compatible with the Hifiman HE series, but nothing that specifically says they will work with Sundara. Is there a difference?

Edit: I see there are recommendations for Brainwavz angled pads and some lambskin pads from Aliexpress. How about the Dekoni pads for Hifiman? Are the mounting rings universal across all Hifiman models?

The Sundara can fit any pads that fit on the 400i, and they all seem to use the same mounting rings.

Getting the rings under the pads does take a little patience, but they will eventually stretch enough to let the rings get in there. Took me about 5-10 minutes.

Feb 26, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #1,615 of 4,255
Did some sundaras come stock with focus-a pads?

Feb 28, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #1,616 of 4,255
Hi guys, I have the chance to buy the hifiman sundara NEW with 2 years warranty for 303 euros from the most reliable audio store in Italy that I know of, which also offer 30 days free return (discounted price from hifiman + a discount code I have), the promotion ends in a few hours. Now, I'm a happy Sennheiser hd660s owner, which I drive from my Sony walkman nw-zx300 balanced out with satisfying results. The price for the hifiman is appealing though, would it be worth to own both? I suspect I might need to buy a decent amp to properly drive the Sundara, while I don't feel the 660s really need anything more than the walkman balanced out. Long story short, I'm afraid that the Sundara might end up costing me a lot more than 300 euros, at least 100 more for a balanced cable to get the most out of the sony zx300. Also I don't know how the mids comprare between the sundara and the 660s, I love the mids of the sennheisers, if the bass on the sundara isn't substantially better, I think I will pass on this. Do you guys have any advice? Are the two so different?

Feb 28, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #1,618 of 4,255
Hi guys, I have the chance to buy the hifiman sundara NEW with 2 years warranty for 303 euros from the most reliable audio store in Italy that I know of, which also offer 30 days free return (discounted price from hifiman + a discount code I have), the promotion ends in a few hours. Now, I'm a happy Sennheiser hd660s owner, which I drive from my Sony walkman nw-zx300 balanced out with satisfying results. The price for the hifiman is appealing though, would it be worth to own both? I suspect I might need to buy a decent amp to properly drive the Sundara, while I don't feel the 660s really need anything more than the walkman balanced out. Long story short, I'm afraid that the Sundara might end up costing me a lot more than 300 euros, at least 100 more for a balanced cable to get the most out of the sony zx300. Also I don't know how the mids comprare between the sundara and the 660s, I love the mids of the sennheisers, if the bass on the sundara isn't substantially better, I think I will pass on this. Do you guys have any advice? Are the two so different?

Why not buy it because you will never know otherwise. As you say, just return it if it is not to your liking. :smile_phones:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back