Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Feb 3, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #1,502 of 4,255
Aww man, I almost hit buy on these pads for my HE560, but then noticed it's 90% lambskin leather.
Wish they made the same pads with 100% protein leather.
In the photo, which I laid out above, everything that can be seen is made of genuine leather. It is a very pleasant and soft finish. And only there where the connection with the plastic mount is a thin strip of artificial leather.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #1,503 of 4,255
I recently watched the “Mortal Engines” film in 1080p in my headphones and felt how my breath was driven by the feeling of height and other special effects. Before this did not worry from watching movies. I think this is due to the large number of Sundara frequencies, thanks to which the headphones reproduce well the positioning, the feeling of wind in the ears, the moving air flow and so on. But I feel these effects with new ear cushions. It is possible and with the standard complete will be a similar effect, but I wrote them off and they are lying around me and gathering dust.

Feb 4, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #1,504 of 4,255
In the photo, which I laid out above, everything that can be seen is made of genuine leather. It is a very pleasant and soft finish. And only there where the connection with the plastic mount is a thin strip of artificial leather.
I mean, I would prefer artificial leather since I try to avoid leather (especially LAMBskin) for ethical reasons.

Feb 4, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #1,506 of 4,255
Did anyone tried those Brainwavz Angled Memory Foam Earpad - Black Pleather - I have a Velour version of it and really like what it does to Sundara
would probably be buying pleather version as well soon.
pgPzPGkl.jpg

Issue with velour is... well see the photo - it picks up all the fluff and looks far from tidy.

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #1,508 of 4,255
HiFiMAN sent Pinky a pair for review. Haven't given them tons of head-time yet, but so far I find them remarkably articulate, neutral, and balanced.

Build is absolutely stellar, and they're comfortable with stock pads.

I'll share further impressions as I go. Right now, I quite like them.

Unboxing 02.jpg
Sundra 01.jpg

Feb 8, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #1,509 of 4,255
So after a month of waiting, I am currently listening to these. Still too early for a full review, but they neutral-bright while still having detailed and present base. There is definitely some serious roll-off in the sub bass, they don't really have a ton of slam or bass impact. But it still has that planar sounding, which I have come to enjoy (even if its not always the most natural). What I really enjoy is how nice of a balance these cans have between being wide, detailed but also intimate and pleasant sounding on almost any given song. The Sundaras honestly cater to just about all levels of recording quality, mixings and genres. At this point, I would say that they are an all-rounder IF you don't need to have either a super relaxed or bass-heavy sound sig. Also, aside from the driver issues, which IS a huge deal on a pair of headphones in the $500 dollar tier, the build quality is pretty good. It is mostly metal and the suspension strap distributes the already light Sundaras well. Although you can't really adjust at the yokes, so YMMV on the fit. That said, pad rolling doesn't seem to be too hard on these either.

I will be writing a more comprehensive review in awhile once I spend some quality time with them. Thus far, I would say they are easily worth $500 and approach-must have territory at $350.

Feb 10, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #1,511 of 4,255
Took the plunge and bought an opened box pair of these. Have the 6xx on hand and hopefully these will complement them nicely. I plan to power them with a Topping Dx3 since it is an inexpensive dac/amp combo with a good-measuring dac section. Should have more than enough power to drive them.

Feb 10, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #1,512 of 4,255
Took the plunge and bought an opened box pair of these. Have the 6xx on hand and hopefully these will complement them nicely. I plan to power them with a Topping Dx3 since it is an inexpensive dac/amp combo with a good-measuring dac section. Should have more than enough power to drive them.

They have very different signatures, so owning both will give you variety. :thumbsup:

Feb 11, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #1,513 of 4,255
HiFiMAN sent Pinky a pair for review. Haven't given them tons of head-time yet, but so far I find them remarkably articulate, neutral, and balanced.

Build is absolutely stellar, and they're comfortable with stock pads.

I'll share further impressions as I go. Right now, I quite like them.

They're my favourite pair right now. Increase the 32hz and 64hz band by 3-ish dB and they're perfect.

Do you have any iems that parallel the Sundaras?

Feb 11, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #1,514 of 4,255
Have many people had their stock pads come apart? I've had my Sundara for 2 months and they've been amazing but the earpads have **** the bed on me twice. Hifiman is sending me another replacement of course but it's strange the way they come undone. I'm about to look into 3rd party options.

The headphones themselves had been rockstars. I did a ton of research before landing on the Sundara and it is exactly what I wanted.

Did anyone tried those Brainwavz Angled Memory Foam Earpad - Black Pleather - I have a Velour version of it and really like what it does to Sundara
would probably be buying pleather version as well soon.
pgPzPGkl.jpg

Issue with velour is... well see the photo - it picks up all the fluff and looks far from tidy.
Can you link me these exact velour versions? Is this it? And would you mind commenting on how they change the frequency response?

How much were they open box, versus the current price of $350 brand new?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back