Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Mar 15, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #826 of 4,255
I kinda agree.
Although HD800S sounds more revealing and airier (good monitor), it is more of an instrument than a HP.

There is a "cool" and icey mid and upper mid in HD800-S that make them sound a little colder and less involving than S.

Comfort:
>> HD800S :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
>> Sundara :point_down:

Interesting to hear your comparison with the HD800S which I have never heard but seems to divide opinions.

I have to agree with you about the comfort factor on the Sundara and it could be a deal breaker for me.

It is a fairly light headphone but it feels quite heavy with a high clamping force on the head/ears and puts a fairly heavy point load on the top of the dead (which is uncomfortable for me).

I think that it feels less premium in the hand than it should and it is not a good overall user experience. I feel that it is lacking basic ergonomics and tactility that I would expect at this price point and is not as straightforward as it should be to place or remove from the head.

The headband creaks every time you place or remove from the head and it requires quite a bit of force and dexterity each time (especially for a female dainty hand...:yum::dress:).

Together with QC issues I reckon HiFi-Boy better grow up quickly or continue to get a questionable name for itself!

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #827 of 4,255
I would not give Sundara a thumbs down on comfort - for me. It is actually a lot more comfortable (weight, clamping pressure) compared to the likes of Sennheiser HD660s I got last week. Not saying they are as comfortable as HD 800 or Sony MDR-Z7 but just cant call them uncomfortable at all. Comfort actually is by FAR the least of Sundara's problems. QC is the biggest and yes, my $100 JBL headphones dont creak, the Sundara does creak slightly every time you put them on.

Mar 15, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #828 of 4,255
I would not give Sundara a thumbs down on comfort - for me. It is actually a lot more comfortable (weight, clamping pressure) compared to the likes of Sennheiser HD660s I got last week. Not saying they are as comfortable as HD 800 or Sony MDR-Z7 but just cant call them uncomfortable at all. Comfort actually is by FAR the least of Sundara's problems. QC is the biggest and yes, my $100 JBL headphones dont creak, the Sundara does creak slightly every time you put them on.

I just wanted to point out my considered view and opinion to help inform others who may be considering it.

Coming from the Fidelio X2 it is definitely a noticable step down in comfort and ease of use for me.

Luckily I have no QC issues so far and I am enjoying its sound while I ponder if I will keep it or what I might buy next. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #829 of 4,255

Do tell us more about HD660S v Sundara as I am sure that many will be interested in further views from the people who have tried both?

Guys, any views on (Miss-Speakers) Aeon v Sundara?

Mar 15, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #830 of 4,255
Interesting to hear your comparison with the HD800S which I have never heard but seems to divide opinions.
I have to agree with you about the comfort factor on the Sundara and it could be a deal breaker for me.

It is a fairly light headphone but it feels quite heavy with a high clamping force on the head/ears and puts a fairly heavy point load on the top of the dead (which is uncomfortable for me).

I think that it feels less premium in the hand than it should and it is not a good overall user experience. I feel that it is lacking basic ergonomics and tactility that I would expect at this price point and is not as straightforward as it should be to place or remove from the head.

The headband creaks every time you place or remove from the head and it requires quite a bit of force and dexterity each time (especially for a female dainty hand...:yum::dress:).

• Sundara = very good sound
  • Cable = Awefull.
  • Quality of construction = not good for 500 USD. Mine has 4 drops of glew on left membrane = BAD!!!
  • IMO Sundara sounds more fun than HD800S (which sounds better than HD800)
  • Headband = terrible. Consruction from the 70's. Why???
Very good sound, but bad everything else.
Mine is going back! Sorry Hifiman!

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #832 of 4,255

• Sundara = very good sound
  • Cable = Awefull.
  • Quality of construction = not good for 500 USD. Mine has 4 drops of glew on left membrane = BAD!!!
  • IMO Sundara sounds more fun than HD800S (which sounds better than HD800)
  • Headband = terrible. Consruction from the 70's. Why???
Very good sound, but bad everything else.
Mine is going back! Sorry Hifiman!

I think the cable is okay and I like the length (1.45m) but I would prefer a straight plug but is not a big deal.

I think they made a good call on the short generic cable and 3.5mm plug (with 6.35mm adapter), unlike the Denon 7200 which only has a 6.35mm plug and is 3m long (and no adapter).

The HD660S also has a long lead with 6.35mm plug which is very off putting (to me at least).

If people want a long lead, just get an extension lead, the rest of us should not be forced to have long leads as standard!

I am prepared to pay a bit more for a more premium and comfortable experience, which makes me wonder about the HE560 replacement (without the cracking yoke).

Mar 15, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #833 of 4,255
I think the cable is okay and I like the length (1.45m) but I would prefer a straight plug but is not a big deal.

I think they made a good call on the short generic cable and 3.5mm plug (with 6.35mm adapter), unlike the Denon 7200 which only has a 6.35mm plug and is 3m long (and no adapter).

The HD660S also has a long lead with 6.35mm plug which is very off putting (to me at least).

If people want a long lead, just get an extension lead, the rest of us should not be forced to have long leads as standard!

I am prepared to pay a bit more for a more premium and comfortable experience, which makes me wonder about the HE560 replacement (without the cracking yoke).
I and most of my friends usually need a longer cable (2.5m) for listening since most are not setup on a desk but on a table with a comfortable chair/recliner so the distance from the amp to the headphones are a bit longer. Agree that for desktop use or portable use 1.2-1.5m cables are a better length. Its why I have a hard time considering any headphone that doesn't have removable cables but have made exceptions in the case of TH-600, T1gen1, DT990 premium and Grado's but I've modded all of them with removable cables, either SMC or mini-XLR which I feel are better built and provide a more secure connection than 2.5mm or 3.5mm jacks.
I'm not against using extensions but it usually put the weight in a awkward location (floating in mid air) for me between the table top and my recliner so its weight is a bit annoying.

Mar 15, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #834 of 4,255
I also tried with other cables, but mine worked ONLY with the cable that came with the Sundara. Did you try the supplied cable ?
Tried it again today and now they are working with the supplied cable (when I promise they did not yesterday)! Not sure why that can even be possible. Then plugged in the balanced 4 pin xlr cable and no go. Why would the balanced cable not work? Did you have a bad cable? Mine was just purchased for these cans.

Mar 15, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #835 of 4,255
That’s weird....did you get it on the day of the 20% eBay sale? Thats when my friend bought it and he had the same issue....
Yes; 20% off. Mine started working with the supplied cable the next day. Now I am debating if I am going to send it back. Reason is after considering the next option the only other planar that interests me is the Aeon Flow open and I do not want to pay twice the price.

Mar 15, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #836 of 4,255
Had mine for a week and the left channel died again, so back to the shop tomorrow for a replacement pair.

Went back to using my Nighthawks and noticed the stronger bass response and thicker, lusher presentation.

Comfort on the Sundara is ok for me, and I quite like the industrial design. Just a pity they're not as tough as the look.

Here"s a pic taken when they were working.

Edit: Can't seem to upload a photo :frowning2:

Attachments

• P80314-182113.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #837 of 4,255
Listening to them after about 24 hours of mixed music and pink noise for break-in. They sound a little brighter than what I consider neutral (agree with Tyll here). They're definitely not as warm as the Edition Xv2, closer to the HE560, but that's just from memory. Nice sense of space between the instruments, nice stereo image that almost feels like you're listening to speakers in the room. The Edition Xv2 had a wider presentation and more prominent bass. The bass on these is nicely balanced with the rest of the spectrum, but still has some authority and punch. Occasionally, they get a little congested if there's a lot going on in the upper-mids/treble region, to where I need to reduce the volume to handle it. They don't have the smoothness that the Edition Xv2 did, but that could be attributed to their lack of warmth in comparison.

Overall, I like their sound, other than the occasional congestion, but I can easily give that a pass at this price point. They might even improve on that aspect with more break-in. They fit nicely on my head and are fairly comfortable and light, but I can see how they might not be as flexible on different sized-heads. I do like the new 1/8" connection, it feels more durable and tight. There's no wiggle inside the cup with the connections like there is on the HE1000 and Edition X. I personally would prefer the Edition Xv2 over these, but they are less than half the price so these are definitely the better value and I would recommend them over the Sennheiser HD6XX and HE4XX/5XX.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #839 of 4,255
Listening to them after about 24 hours of mixed music and pink noise for break-in. They sound a little brighter than what I consider neutral (agree with Tyll here). They're definitely not as warm as the Edition Xv2, closer to the HE560, but that's just from memory. Nice sense of space between the instruments, nice stereo image that almost feels like you're listening to speakers in the room. The Edition Xv2 had a wider presentation and more prominent bass. The bass on these is nicely balanced with the rest of the spectrum, but still has authority and punch. Occasionally, they get a little congested if there's a lot going on in the treble region, to where I need to reduce the volume to handle it. They don't have the smoothness that the Edition Xv2 did, but that could be attributed to their lack of warmth in comparison.

Overall, I like their sound, other than the occasional treble congestion, but I can easily give that a pass at this price point. They might even improve on that point with more break-in. They fit nicely on my head and are fairly comfortable and light, but I can see how they might not be as flexible on different sized-heads. I do like the new 1/8" connection, it feels more durable and tight. There's no wiggle inside the cup with the connections like there is on the HE1000 and Edition X. I personally would prefer the Edition Xv2 over these, but they are less than half the price so these are definitely the better value and I would recommend them over the Sennheiser HD6XX and HE4XX/5XX.

What do you think in terms of speed? Sundara was quite fast and snappy to my ears, maybe due to the thinner diagram.

Mar 15, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #840 of 4,255
What do you think in terms of speed? Sundara was quite fast and snappy to my ears, maybe due to the thinner diagram.
I didn't really notice speed standing out too much, and I honestly don't really know how to judge the speed of a headphone, other than by how resolving it is. The Sundara seemed about as resolving as the Edition Xv2, and maybe a little better than the HE560 from memory. It's detailed when there's not too much going on in the music. With a lot of layers in the high-mids/treble region, like I mentioned in my original post, sound seemed to get a bit congested. Note that I've been enjoying the Utopia for a few weeks now, so I may be a bit more sensitive to that kind of thing coming from that super-fast headphone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back