Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Mar 9, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #676 of 4,255
I have not heard about Campfire Audio Cascade, but there is some hype going on, and I am curious about its sound. Could you shed some light on it by comparing it with Sundara?

The Cascades were warm and gentle when I heard them. Very smooth, but great resolution still. Probably some of my favorite sounding portable cans so far, and in my top 3 for closed.

Mar 9, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #677 of 4,255
Ebay is having a 20% off coupon deal today (PSPRING20) capped at $100. I just ordered the Sundara from hifimanofficial and got $100 off the $500 price using it, just a tip for those that are on the fence.

Mar 9, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #681 of 4,255
Reply to this and we'll have you at a 500+ Head-Fier!

I shall then dub thee honorary non-amateur sir Franz a lot. At that point, you can asert your opinions with pride.

I didn't notice I made this far! Probably I am spending too much time on headfi these days. procrastinating...

Mar 9, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #682 of 4,255
Ebay is having a 20% off coupon deal today (PSPRING20) capped at $100. I just ordered the Sundara from hifimanofficial and got $100 off the $500 price using it, just a tip for those that are on the fence.

Incredible deal! I am seriously considering to repurchase Sundara at $400. This or Elex... decisions, decisions...

Mar 9, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #685 of 4,255
actually if you know history the so-called greatest HFM cans HE6 have brighter treble than the he560's, Dr. FangBian mentioned this a lot. Dark choice goes to LCD series, treble much darker

With my setup (r2r 7 ->nfb1-amp->balanced occ cable), the treble is champagne through the he560. These are well worth the 500usd i paid for them. If you use a harsh setup, the he560 will sound harsh. This is what transparent headphones do. With bad matching, any transparent headphones will sound harsh. So when someone makes a call like "the treble is piecing", it would be rather essential to know what the associated material was, just so to avoid it. If i had put fate in such a statement, i would have passed on the best headphones i have heard so far, to my lost.

Great deal on the Sundara however. Time will tell if they beat the 560.

As for the frequency response of headphones, it is dependent on the pair of ears you put inside the cups. Ears have different shape, damping effect, volumes and areas. So plotting the FR of headphones is far from telling to whole story. It gives you an idea but it is not garanteed that you will dislike a set when the FR indicates you will.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #686 of 4,255
Anybody have experiences with iems? I can easily find good performing iems with balanced tonality that is highly resolving, but it's difficult for headphones. They come off more colored. Perhaps iems have less variables such as ear shape, and can be tuned much easier with balanced armateur drivers. I can easily find highly resolving and balanced tonality in TOTL iem space. But also, pricing for iems went up significantly, hence disinterest at this point.

Good iems have smooth and detailed treble. Headphones tend to either bright or dark, hard to find a middle point. There usually a peak somewhere, etc.. Also, you got to worry about dips in headphone response and all that. Full sized headphones still has ways to go. Headphones are pretty complex to tune well I think. First you have to have good drivers and then worry about sound effects from the housing, and then individual ear types(shapes, etc..), the pads, etc.. And all talk about DACs, Amps, uuhhgg.. iems are just simple.

IEMs lack scale headphones can provide. Also, they are not as immersive enough compared to full-size headphones. The same applies to headphones vs speakers. But good speakers hurt neighbor and can't use at night, not to speak of their $$$$$$$. IMO, full-size headphones are very good compromise between two.

Mar 9, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #687 of 4,255
How do these headphones performs with classical music? I'm not looking for a "funny" headphone, I'm looking for a neutral and detailed HP.
If I want to have fun, I go to the cinema! :ksc75smile:
When people say neutral, it doesn't tell you enough about decay, harmonics of the sound, the definition of sounds.

I will add more comparisons between HE560 and Sundara. HE560 has more of a natural tonality, and Sundara sounds a bit pronounced tonally in the upper mids, sounds sharper and can come of a bit too articulate. It partially have to do with the speed of the drivers I believe. It sounds quite fast and you really notice it with electronic music.

For something like classical, you want natural and realism, you want tonality to have some body, harmonics, and more of a gradual shades when sounds are defined. That is not how Sundara is like, it's more pushed for articulation, and HE560 has that harmonics to the sounds, and sounds are more defined.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #688 of 4,255
When people say neutral, it's doesn't tell you enough about decay, harmonics of the sound, the definition of sounds.

I will add more comparisons between HE560 and Sundara. HE560 has more of a natural tonality, and Sundara sounds a bit pronounced tonally in the upper mids, sounds sharper and can come of a bit too articulate. It partially have to do with the speed of the drivers I believe. It sounds quite fast and you really notice it with electronic music.

For something like classical, you want natural and realism, you want tonality to have some body, harmonics, and more of a gradual shades when sounds are defined. That is not how Sundara is like, it's more pushed for articulation, and HE560 has that harmonics to the sounds, and sounds are more defined.

Well I much prefer classical on Sundara than 560

Mar 9, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #689 of 4,255
Well I much prefer classical on Sundara than 560
Then we have different views in how classical should be painted. I've often heard people say HD800 is great for classical, and that headphone is also tuned for articulation, but differently, in the lower treble compared to upper mids of the Sundara.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back