Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Nov 1, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #46 of 4,255
The proposed high asking price seems even worse when considering the stamped steel ear cup forks with sharp edges and overall cheap feel of the headset. I was replying to @KewlMunky's complaints on the price there.

I think the he560 is more linear and has a more reference tonality than the Sundara did in my short listening time. The Sundara was a little darker than a 560 but not warm, so maybe the midrange is recessed, not really sure since I only listened to 3 tracks or so. It had good bass impact and played easily out of my phone (V20) as well as the amps on the HiFiman table.

As to the comments above, I've only listened to a Susvara on a Woo Wa33 which is a crazy expensive tube amp. It didn't sound like any HiFiman that I've heard including the HE6, 500, 1000, x, etc. So for me, personally, comparing the Sundara to the Susvara is a tenuous comparison at best.

That’s disappointing that you feel the build quality went down. It certainly looks much better than the 560.

Did you get a chance to try any other planars like he LCD 2C?

Nov 1, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #47 of 4,255
That’s disappointing that you feel the build quality went down. It certainly looks much better than the 560.

Did you get a chance to try any other planars like he LCD 2C?

I listened to the Acoustic Research H1 and held the LCD2C, but most of my time with Audeze was focused on the MX4 unfortunately, I didn't give the LCD2C a fair listen. But that's my concern with the Sundara, that $599 price point is really tight right now and they are competitive in that group, but the build would be a big minus to me personally. You have the Oppo PM3, other HifiMan planars, the Fostex t60rp, and the Aeon will drop into that price sooner rather than later too. There's a lot of options in a planar right now which is awesome, but to stand out you need the have quality in sound and design.

The rep did tell me the Sundara on hand was basically a prototype, so hopefully the final product smooths out the rough spots to compete at $500-ish. Let's hope for the best.

Nov 3, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #50 of 4,255
These headphones actually appeal to me, this is what HiFiMAN used to be known for. Making amazing products at great prices. However, after the little spectacle with Dr. Fang and his customers, I simply cannot purchase another HiFiMAN product ever again.

Nov 5, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #53 of 4,255
From the product video from Tyll's interview HiFiMAN is modeling the sound of the Sundara after the 560 which is sad because it's sound is technically inferior to the 400i. What I want and I suspect many of us want is a slightly ( as in 2dB ) more bass from 0-100 hz and 2dB less treble from 1.5-7.5 kHz. As for the build quality I would love to see some improvements. Thicker pads, keeping the pleather and felt combo, improve the build quality around the gimbals/yokes and increase the thickness around where the earcups attach to the yokes.

In response to a thinner diaphram, which I understand is Fang Bian's expertise and primary focus, but to me thinner just means more likely to damage, crack at higher volumes, and not technically improve the already great measurements.

If you're reading this HiFiMAN please make those adjustments.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #54 of 4,255
From the product video from Tyll's interview HiFiMAN is modeling the sound of the Sundara after the 560 which is sad because it's sound is technically inferior to the 400i. What I want and I suspect many of us want is a slightly ( as in 2dB ) more bass from 0-100 hz and 2dB less treble from 1.5-7.5 kHz. As for the build quality I would love to see some improvements. Thicker pads, letting the pleather and felt combo, improve the build quality around the gymbals/yokes and increase the thickness around where the earcups attach to the yokes.

In response to a thinner diaphram, which I understand is Fang Bian's expertise and primary focus, but to me thinner just means more likely to damage, crack at higher volumes, and not technically improve the already great measurements.

If you're reading this HiFiMAN please make those adjustments.

I did not understand your point of "technically inferior"

Nov 5, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #56 of 4,255
I did not understand your point of "technically inferior"
Take a look at Tyll's measurements for both the 400i and 560. See how the 560 has more treble energy at 3kHz and a larger second bump in the 300hz square wave response. For a more costly headphone the 560 should measure and sound better. It certainly does not sound superior and the measurements support what many of us hear as it's flaws. Listen to both using pink noise and you will quickly pick up on the problems with both headphones, but the 560 is flawed.

That's what I mean by technically inferior.

Nov 5, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #57 of 4,255
Take a look at Tyll's measurements for both the 400i and 560. See how the 560 has more treble energy at 3kHz and a larger second bump in the 300hz square wave response. For a more costly headphone the 560 should measure and sound better. It certainly does not sound superior and the measurements support what many of us hear as it's flaws. Listen to both using pink noise and you will quickly pick up on the problems with both headphones, but the 560 is flawed.

That's what I mean by technically inferior.

I thought you mean Sundara and my listening experience of Sundara at RMAF reminds me that it is totally different than HE560

Nov 5, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #58 of 4,255
I'm purely basing my idea on what the vendor rep said at RMAF and admit to not hearing them yet as I'm satisfied with the 400i. Hopefully I'll have a chance to review them in the near future.

Nov 5, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #59 of 4,255
I own and love both the 400i and the 560, and I can tell you, the 560 is technically superior. Faster, more resolving, smoother, better soundstage, better imaging, better extension on both ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back