Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Oct 31, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #32 of 4,250
Can anyone who's heard these compare them with the HE-500?

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #34 of 4,250
Why does a thinner diaphragm cause a 2/3's markup? Being the 560 is also the same price, now, does that mean that was the only difference between the 560 and the 400i?

I'm being horribly facetious, but I just do not understand their business model at all. It's great that they released an improved version that wasn't within a year of the original release, and it's on a mid sized headphone. But the price jump was quite a bit.

I know headphones all have different sound signatures, but what's the draw to this new $499 headphone when the 560 (which was hundreds more) is now that price as well?

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #35 of 4,250
Why does a thinner diaphragm cause a 2/3's markup? Being the 560 is also the same price, now, does that mean that was the only difference between the 560 and the 400i?

I'm being horribly facetious, but I just do not understand their business model at all. It's great that they released an improved version that wasn't within a year of the original release, and it's on a mid sized headphone. But the price jump was quite a bit.

I know headphones all have different sound signatures, but what's the draw to this new $499 headphone when the 560 (which was hundreds more) is now that price as well?

If the build quality is the same as the prototype pair at RMAF it seems even worse. HiFiMan really needs to up the headband/cup design on these if they want to charge anything more than $250 imo. The sound was nice and an upgrade to the 400i, but I still like the 560 better.

Oct 31, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #36 of 4,250
If the build quality is the same as the prototype pair at RMAF it seems even worse. HiFiMan really needs to up the headband/cup design on these if they want to charge anything more than $250 imo. The sound was nice and an upgrade to the 400i, but I still like the 560 better.

Can you elaborate? What seems even worse and why is the 560 better?

Nov 1, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #38 of 4,250
pricing on theses are all based on hype, remember when 560 was release it was selling for like $900. When the shills and hypes die down the price will come down to $250ish

Right, so if it's NOT better than the 560 and has lower build quality, then might as well get a 560 now right?
What are the pads on the sundara? are they the same focus pads?

EDIT: Based on the info we have, Hifiman is reporting a frequency response of 6-75khz, which I know is meaningless but would seem to indicate, if they are using the same testing method it at least should be as extended as the 560. Also, curiously they report the sensitivity of 94 db - again with no reference - 94 db at what wattage? but that is higher than hifiman states for both the 400i and the 560, which seems to fly against reports saying it needs serious amping, which the 400i didn't really need. Out of the people that have tried it, it doesn't seem like we can get a clear response over what it actually sounds like or any actual details about it.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #44 of 4,250
Can you elaborate? What seems even worse and why is the 560 better?

The proposed high asking price seems even worse when considering the stamped steel ear cup forks with sharp edges and overall cheap feel of the headset. I was replying to @KewlMunky's complaints on the price there.

I think the he560 is more linear and has a more reference tonality than the Sundara did in my short listening time. The Sundara was a little darker than a 560 but not warm, so maybe the midrange is recessed, not really sure since I only listened to 3 tracks or so. It had good bass impact and played easily out of my phone (V20) as well as the amps on the HiFiman table.

As to the comments above, I've only listened to a Susvara on a Woo Wa33 which is a crazy expensive tube amp. It didn't sound like any HiFiman that I've heard including the HE6, 500, 1000, x, etc. So for me, personally, comparing the Sundara to the Susvara is a tenuous comparison at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back