Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Oct 4, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #17 of 4,255
Got this in an email, so I think it's the Sundara

2017-09-27-RMAF.jpg

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #20 of 4,255
The overall design is a significant aesthetic improvement over the 400i/560.

Hopefully their SQ has been nicely improved as well.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #22 of 4,255
Got to listen to the Sundara at RMAF and talked with Fang a little about it. At home I have the original he-400 and he-400s with some different pads on them to just mod the sound a bit, along with having a number other Hifiman cans in the past such as the He-500 and He-1000.

The Sundara right from the get-go was really light and the clamp was light but secure. Each iteration of the Hifiman series always seems to get better in the comfort department which is always a plus. The Sundara I heard straight from the Megamini and then my phone. Neither I had to go that hard on the volume to get it loud.

Didn't have my he-400s directly on hand to a/b the two but just going on memory, the Sundara had a notable bump in subbass that I would of liked more from the he-400s. I modded the pads on the 400s to get more subbass so was quite happy to hear the Sundara. The Sundara even in a noisy environment like CanJam still sounded quite wide and spacious. Didn't get much in terms of isolation but wasn't a surprise given how open the headphones are.

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #23 of 4,255
Why would this create any negative fallout between Hifiman and their customers? I love the fact that they are continually innovating and trying new things/delivering new products to the market. As if the people that are on head-fi don't almost constantly try new ones anyway? If you choose to buy a product new, do you really expect that its the end all be all, or last one the company will release, even in it's price bracket?

"man, it's so annoying that a company keeps releasing new products. I wish they would stop trying to improve their sound, design, build quality, etc."

Yes, we definitely would have been better off if dan stopped at the original mad dog, senn with the older hd5xx's, the lcd2.1, he-5, etc.

Sorry for my tone, rant over.

I know, it's like if anyone was waiting to buy the latest and greatest Tesla electric car then they'd be waiting forever, because they keep getting constantly updated.

The release of the Sundara doesn't make the HE-400i or HE-560 a bad headphone, and owners who have them should still be happy, unless they always need the latest and greatest. In 8 years Sennheiser has only changed the HD-800 once, and the first one is still quite good - those owners were able to have a flagship headphone for like forever.

Oct 12, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #24 of 4,255
I was referring more to the fallout/alienation between Hifiman owner, Fang, and pretty much everyone else on Head Fi.

He pretty much destroyed his base in America.

Overstatement. I think Hifiman will continue to do fine in U.S. market. I had a negative reaction when the V2s were released but have since moved on. In hindsight, it wasn't a big deal and definitely a first world problem. No need to get stuck on past disagreements and deprive myself of good products. Despite the releases of the HE1000 V2 and Susvara, I am still enjoying the V1's and He6's immensely. My newest addition, the he350s, once modded are as good as it gets :wink:.

Plus, Internet memory is very short.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #29 of 4,255
Make the headphones lighter, using state of the art materials and aerospace engineering. -- and then slap a vacuum cleaner cord on those saying that is "Audiophile" :)
(Audeze - I am looking at you :) )
This is getting ridiculous.

All this c*** coming from speakers, but there had more "sense"...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back