Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
May 4, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #1,111 of 4,259
YAY! But, as you say, we won’t count it a win till, what was it, at least 2.5 days :)

"teaser"...:)

and also.
I just heard this for the first time, ..
Perhaps you've not heard it ?????????
Lets find out....
See if it sounds as good through your favorite set of :), as it does through all of mine so far.
Quite decent mix, and the stereo separation is good....
I actually liked it so much, i just went to Amazon and bought the Blu-Ray..

---

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #1,112 of 4,259
"teaser"...:)

and also.
I just heard this for the first time, ..
Perhaps you've not heard it ?????????
Lets find out....
See if it sounds as good through your favorite set of :), as it does through all of mine so far.
Quite decent mix, and the stereo separation is good....
I actually liked it so much, i just went to Amazon and bought the Blu-Ray..

---

NICE! But, hey, no fair, the "homework" is piling up faster than I can keep up as I won't be back to my place until Sunday. :) In the meantime I will have try these on my travel IEMs (ATH-E70), and a pair of E-mu Teaks I am picking up on the road...

Waiting will be my new Elex which hasn't gotten much head time, those will be the first, followed by a few others :)

If I may suggest a nice composition... Listen to the soundtrack of Interstellar... But only with your favorite drink in hand!

May 4, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #1,114 of 4,259
Audeze unit variation is actually a very widely known issue with the company unfortunately.
How bad is it actually? Would reviews still be reliable then?

May 4, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #1,115 of 4,259
How bad is it actually? Would reviews still be reliable then?

I would ask in an Audeze thread, I haven't actually owned any Audeze headphones though I've done research since I've considered them. Based on my research, it wasn't to the extent that I'd expect some LCD-2 Classics to be darker than any pre-Fazor LCD-2 while other LCD-2 Classics are brighter than any LCD-2 in existence; this sounds like more variation than I'd expect.

May 5, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #1,116 of 4,259
Looking forward to the report!

Will absolutely run this video through all the gear I have once I am back home (my life seems to consist of long loops from one coast to the other - I wonder if TSA would have a problem with me lugging around a dozen or so headphones??)

And great to meet you, sista!!

_
Alrighty then, im here with your
report.

I had originally planned to post a bit of commentary regarding the Aeon Flow closed, on Sun - 5/6, but, i can do it now as i know what their deal is all about, already.
So, to keep it not as short as you'd probably prefer........., as this is not the Aeon thread, but, as i said i would offer my thoughts for you to chew, here is the review.

First, when i unboxed the dark Aeon's, i thought........."these kinda look like the Blue Ella's, painted dark,:)
And thats the only thing these 2 have in common.

Now, to the Good.

First, if you buy them, you probably will take out the easily swappable white inner (factory) pads, as these do frequency smother the tone a little bit too much in my opinion, and you'll go with the black, as they give you the full measure of what this product can produce, when you set it free.

2nd, for a very lightweight (partially) high impact plastic set of headphones, the Aeon's offer very very good isolation.
IN this regard, they are 70% of my Bose QCs.

Be careful tho that you dont tap or bang the "duel" adjustable headphone bars that are located above the strap, as if you do, you'll get a bass resonance that actually sounds like a bass drum's reverb echoing inside your headphones.
And of course, the cable is going to be heard if it is disturbed while you have the headphones strapped around your favorite noggin.
Nothing new there...

Comfort, is an 8.5+

Next... to the meat of the matter......This set of headphones is the $300 - $900 headphone that all owners of Audeze and Hifiman, (within that price range) wish they had purchased, as its what you wanted in/for your sound, and instead you got Hifi's' "too bright" or Audeze's "no trebles"..
This one, the Aeon Flow Closed, regarding clarity, resolution, details, instrument separation, soundstage, (for a closed), and realism, regarding the way it manifests true & accurate tonality, is worth every single penny it costs you to partake.

How is the sound best described, overall?.... = Polished and Refined with gobs of revealed detail on tap, and mostly balanced,...... mostly.
Trebles have no annoyingly "etched" situation going on.....at all,..... yet they reach way up there so you can internally see all the frequency parts in play.
The beauty in the Aeon's tone, overall, i would describe......as,... an elegant and polished presentation that is almost as if you are listening to music that is being professionally remastered by it to sound slightly better then it actually does.
MP3s are in general, crap, and the Aeon product will certainly provide you with this fact.
Yet, it still retains and presents a very natural presentation of instruments and vocals, no matter what you have it play.
The Aeon plays well with prosumer and high end Dacs, and enjoys a Tube or 2..

The Aeon's lovely sound, seemingly, has an almost high end compressor tweek thingy, going on....as if its overall balance is being gently and internally sweetened into perfect sonic alignment ) regarding how it presents the wonder of what it does for $8-bills.
Overall its a refined and fine sound, that is also absolutely & obviously designated, by one caveat....
The bass response is very very very neutral........ Solid, accurate, detailed, but very neutral, and for my ears, this represents not an issue, but, a reality that i have definitely noticed the more i carefully listened to this headphone's presentation.
It seems that the factory tweeker of this Headphone's tone, added just a smidgen of midrange lift, as the mids are positioned gently out front, and because of this, the neutral bass thereby sits every so slightly in the background.
Let me put it this way...
If we think of this headphone's sound as a 3 piece combo of guitar as treble, drums as midrange, and bass as ...bass.....then you'll sit in the middle of the audience thinking...."wow, they are all GREAT, but, the bass could be a little bit louder".

Finally, when i compared the Aeon's to the Senn HD600S, i was reminded again how great the Senn's are, as they generally sonically hang with the Aeon's sonic sig, overall , and offer just a little bit more bass.
So, do consider that an open Senn HD660S, offers slightly, very slightly, more bass response then a beautiful sounding set of closed Aeon Flow's.
So, to reciprocate that, im also stating right here, and to whom it may concern, that the House Sound of the very fine Aeon Flow Closed Headphones, is something that Sennheiser HD6 fans will be very familiar with, and appreciate, in a Planar Mag sort of way....
Senn fans might also appreciate a bit more bass response within the Aeon's, but, they'd love these, nevertheless.

Lastly...

Aeon Flow Closed headphones, do not sound like Beyer, or Audio Tech, or Hifiman, or Sony, or Philips Fidello, or Monolith 1060, or AKG K7.
They, in their on Planar way, wear the Sennheiser HD6 Tone badge, and wear it very well polished.

So the final answer is..
Both are worth the money, and both sound great.
If you are a professional musician like i am, = both are equal and worthy contenders for allowing you to fearlessly use them to mix and master, if you can't use your Studio Monitors, and have to use Headphones to do it, as both of these are very "true".
Great products, both.

This video sounds great through them both, yet, Tom Chaplin's voice, which is sort of Like Freddie Mercury on a good day, sounds so awesome, that really......any headphone is going to love it.

-

FB1

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #1,117 of 4,259
_
report.

I had originally planned to post a bit of commentary regarding the Aeon Flow closed, on Sun - 5/6, but, i can do it now as i know what their deal is all about, already.
So, to keep it not as short as you'd probably prefer........., as this is not the Aeon thread, but, as i said i would offer my thoughts for you to chew, here is the review.

First, when i unboxed the dark Aeon's, i thought........."these kinda look like the Blue Ella's, painted dark,:)

Now, to the Good.

First, if you buy them, you probably will take out the easily swappable white inner (factory) pads, as these do frequency smother the tone a little bit too much in my opinion, and you'll go with the black, as they give you the full measure of what this product can produce, when you set it free.

2nd, for a very lightweight (partially) high impact plastic set of headphones, the Aeon's offer very very good isolation.

Be careful tho that you dont tap or bang the "duel" adjustable headphone bars that are located above the strap, as if you do, you'll get a bass resonance that actually sounds like a bass drum's reverb echoing inside your headphones.
And of course, the cable is going to be heard if it is disturbed while you have the headphones strapped around your favorite noggin.
Nothing new there...

Comfort, is an 8.5+

Next... to the meat of the matter......This set of headphones is the $300 - $900 headphone that all owners of Audeze and Hifiman, (within that price range) wish they had purchased, as its what you wanted in/for your sound, and instead you got Hifi's' "too bright" or Audeze's "no trebles"..
This one, the Aeon Flow Closed, regarding clarity, resolution, details, instrument separation, soundstage, (for a closed), and realism, regarding the way it manifests true & accurate tonality, is worth every single penny it costs you to partake.

How is the sound best described, overall?.... = Polished and Refined with gobs of revealed detail on tap, and mostly balanced,...... mostly.
Trebles have no annoyingly "etched" situation going on.....at all,..... yet they reach way up there so you can internally see all the frequency parts in play.
The beauty in the Aeon's tone, overall, i would describe......as,... an elegant and polished presentation that is almost as if you are listening to music that is being professionally remastered by it to sound slightly better then it actually does.
MP3s are in general, crap, and the Aeon product will certainly provide you with this fact.
Yet, it still retains and presents a very natural presentation of instruments and vocals, no matter what you have it play.

The Aeon's lovely sound, seemingly, has an almost high end compressor tweek thingy, going on....as if its overall balance is being gently and internally sweetened into perfect sonic alignment ) regarding how it presents the wonder of what it does for $8-bills.
Overall its a refined and fine sound, that is also absolutely & obviously designated, by one caveat....
The bass response is very very very neutral........ Solid, accurate, detailed, but very neutral, and for my ears, this represents not an issue, but, a reality that i have definitely noticed the more i carefully listened to this headphone's presentation.
It seems that the factory tweeker of this Headphone's tone, added just a smidgen of midrange lift, as the mids are positioned gently out front, and because of this, the neutral bass thereby sits every so slightly in the background.
If we think of this headphone's sound as a 3 piece combo of guitar as treble, drums as midrange, and bass as ...bass.....then you'll sit in the middle of the audience thinking...."wow, they are all GREAT, but, the bass could be a little bit louder".

Finally, when i compared the Aeon's to the Senn HD600S, i was reminded again how great the Senn's are, as they generally sonically hang with the Aeon's sonic sig, overall , and offer just a little bit more bass.
So, do consider that an open Senn HD660S, offers slightly, very slightly, more bass response then a beautiful sounding set of closed Aeon Flow's.
So, to reciprocate that, im also stating right here, and to whom it may concern, that the House Sound of the very fine Aeon Flow Closed Headphones, is something that Sennheiser HD6 fans will be very familiar with, and appreciate, in a Planar Mag sort of way....
Senn fans might also appreciate a bit more bass response within the Aeon's, but, they'd love these, nevertheless.

Lastly...

Aeon Flow Closed headphones, do not sound like Beyer, or Audio Tech, or Hifiman, or Sony, or Philips Fidello, or Monolith 1060, or AKG K7.
They, in their on Planar way, wear the Sennheiser HD6 Tone badge, and wear it very well polished.

So the final answer is..
If you are a professional musician like i am, = both are equal and worthy contenders for allowing you to fearlessly use them to mix and master, if you can't use your Studio Monitors, and have to use Headphones to do it, as both of these are very "true".
Great products, both.

This video sounds great through them both, yet, Tom Chaplin's voice, which is sort of Like Freddie Mercury on a good day, sounds so awesome, that really......any headphone is going to love it.

-

FB1

Good review. I haven't heard afc, but own ether c flow. You will understand that why I only reach to ether c flow, while my hd600 and hd660s are gathering dust. aeons and ethers work best out of a tube amp. you will need some tube magic to get best out of it.

May 5, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #1,118 of 4,259
Good review. I haven't heard afc, but own ether c flow. You will understand that why I only reach to ether c flow, while my hd600 and hd660s are gathering dust. aeons and ethers work best out of a tube amp. you will need some tube magic to get best out of it.
-
Yes, the Aeon likes a WA7 FFLys...... but the thing is..... a tube's compression can give a false (sound) impression = that its extra supplied warmth and thickness is "bass", and in fact, its not.
When i used the Neve Pre and the Apogee, i think i got a clear reading from them, and they both informed my brain via my eardrums and connected architecture that these headphones sound really good, tho just a WEE bit lean in the bottom.
TYLL loves them, and i understand why he would, as sonically they speak his favorite language.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #1,119 of 4,259
-
Yes, the Aeon likes a WA7 FFLys...... but the thing is..... a tube's compression can give a false (sound) impression = that its extra supplied warmth and thickness is "bass", and in fact, its not.
When i used the Neve Pre and the Apogee, i think i got a clear reading from them, and they both informed my brain via my eardrums and connected architecture that these headphones sound really good, tho just a WEE bit lean in the bottom.
TYLL loves them, and i understand why he would, as sonically they speak his favorite language.

Dan himself said he enjoys them with a tube amp. Finding a right tube amp might be challenging. But high-end solid amps may work just right. I use them with massdrop cavalli tube amp, and it sounds divine. I didn't like it much pairing with hugo alone.

May 5, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #1,120 of 4,259
_
report.

Now, to the Good.

Nothing new there...

Comfort, is an 8.5+

Lastly...

So the final answer is..
Great products, both.

-

FB1

An absolutely amazing write up. Truly. If you haven’t posted this on the Aeon Flow Closed forum you must...!

You mention that you are a musician - it is clear in how you so vividly convey the sense of the sound and impact through the written word!

A longer response later, but for now, curse you, or rather my wallet curses, as I will have to get both of these in short order (as in order the next day or so!). :). Many thanks for this!!!

P.S. thanks for the listening recommendations!! Hearing Message in a Bottle brought back many a memory. I had not been familiar with Larry Carlton previously, but taking advantage of Tidal to rectify that injustice!

May 5, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #1,121 of 4,259
_
report.

Now, to the Good.

Nothing new there...

Comfort, is an 8.5+

Lastly...

So the final answer is..
Great products, both.

-

FB1

I tried out the Mr Speakers Aeon Flow before and yes it is in line with what you said. It's not as bright as the Sundara but still very nice. It's a bit more natural.

I prefer the more open sound of the Sundaras though. Instruments have more space to themselves which leads to a perceivably better instrument separation.

Not sure if it has something to do with the recording but on this track

The piano part has some wierd resonance on the Aeon Flow which I have never experienced with other sets of IEM's or headphones.

May 6, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #1,122 of 4,259
An absolutely amazing write up. Truly. If you haven’t posted this on the Aeon Flow Closed forum you must...!

You mention that you are a musician - it is clear in how you so vividly convey the sense of the sound and impact through the written word!

A longer response later, but for now, curse you, or rather my wallet curses, as I will have to get both of these in short order (as in order the next day or so!). :). Many thanks for this!!!

P.S. thanks for the listening recommendations!! Hearing Message in a Bottle brought back many a memory. I had not been familiar with Larry Carlton previously, but taking advantage of Tidal to rectify that injustice!

-

Thank you jsmiller58, for your kind words.
I'm grateful that you were able to dial into my Aeon C's review's point of view regarding their sound (as i hear them) and get something out of my wordplay that you could use.
Yes, to my ear they are slightly bass lean, but they are also an ultra fine product, and i would suggest that in this price range, you can't find "better", you can only find different.
It could be that time will prove that these are on of those rare headphones that will sit along side the HD600 as a time tested legend.
I'd place a bet on that.... as, I think that if you are getting into the world of Planar, or if you have been dissatisfied with all the previous Planar's you've purchased, then this one, at this price, is going to satisfy most regarding
all that they need, to be satisfied.
Its certainly not overpriced, regarding its sound and its fun factor. ...IMHO.

And i have my theory about their lean bass response, and why they are knowingly designed to have it..
Which is.... in the world of products, if a business that makes say, cameras, and headphones, and items such as this........if they create ONE, that "does it all" perfectly, then game over for their business.
AS Capitalism exists based on the hype that the "next one is better"....as that marketing ploy hype is exactly how they keep getting our shekels....its this idea that , there is always a little more just over the horizon, just around the corner.
And if you take this HYPE away, then nobody buys anything NEW, and everything grinds to a complete halt.
And , specifically what i mean is...... a business such as the new headphone business or the new camera business or the new car business, ...they survive from year to year by offering more "options", by offering many "new" versions .
So, ive noticed that you can never get everything you want, in only one "newest" product, such as a camera or set of headphones, as if you can, if you could, then this ruins their business which is built on selling you the "next" "best" "improved", etc..
Therefore, it could be that the person who created these Aeon C's as the finalized version, realized they are a bit too good for the price, and he then reengineered them to have this one aspect that keeps them from being ultimately satisfying, to my ear, and to many others who have said the same about their bass response.
As if he didnt create them with this slight "issue", then why spend 2x as much to get fully satisfied with his "higher end? :)
See how it works?
That's how it works.., and will continue to operate.
So, Welcome to how it has to be, if a business is going to survive from year to year.
They will never give you all you want, in one product.......they will only give you most of what you want, in many.= $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
That is just how it is..
So, with the Aeon C Flow, it is nearly that "all", but not quite....but its enough for most of us to be a keeper, .... of that im certain.

fb1

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #1,123 of 4,259
I tried out the Mr Speakers Aeon Flow before and yes it is in line with what you said. It's not as bright as the Sundara but still very nice. It's a bit more natural.

I prefer the more open sound of the Sundaras though. Instruments have more space to themselves which leads to a perceivably better instrument separation.

Not sure if it has something to do with the recording but on this track

The piano part has some wierd resonance on the Aeon Flow which I have never experienced with other sets of IEM's or headphones.

Yes, i understand.
Nice video.
Enjoyed it.
Here is one for you that is also a bit ambient..
The video is interesting and the song is unusual.
And thanks for lettlng me turn you on.....:)
-
-
-

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #1,124 of 4,259
Yes, i understand.
Nice video.
Enjoyed it.
Here is one for you that is also a bit ambient..
The video is interesting and the song is unusual.
And thanks for lettlng me turn you on.....:)
-
-
-
Did you hear any odd resonance on your pair?

May 6, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #1,125 of 4,259
_

This is right. I found Dan tends to lift mid range a little. Vocals are more forward than hd600 or hd660, while managing to have deeper soundstage. If you want to hear strong bass, you may want to try aeon flow open.

Sundara has larger soundstage in terms of width, but it achieves this by pushing mid ranges a bit further out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back