Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Jul 21, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #4,126 of 4,255
I currently have a Hifiman 400SE. I like the 400SE very much. But I have the problem that the sound of violins and erhus is somehow more direct and pure with my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250. While the 400SE takes the sharpness. The Sundara is sold as a returned unit for 200€. Could a Sundara offer a better sound? Probaly a no brainer for the price but I cant afford at the moment.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #4,127 of 4,255
I currently have a Hifiman 400SE. I like the 400SE very much. But I have the problem that the sound of violins and erhus is somehow more direct and pure with my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250. While the 400SE takes the sharpness. The Sundara is sold as a returned unit for 200€. Could a Sundara offer a better sound? Probaly a no brainer for the price but I cant afford at the moment.
I don't know what they typically sell for in your area, but here $200 for a used Sundara would not be a deal.

Jul 21, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #4,128 of 4,255
Returned at what store? Is it a reputable Hifi Audio store that really inspects and takes care of returned units? Or is it an amazon return? Open-box Sundara for 200€ (in very good condition) I would consider a good deal.

As for the sound of HE400se vs Sundara, someone else just asked the same, I briefly wrote my impressions on the previous page.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #4,130 of 4,255
I've had the Edition XS for several weeks now, so I feel like I can provide a decent comparison with the Sundara.

For me, the Edition XS is super comfortable. I was mostly worried about this, as my head is on the small side. With one notch on each earcup, they fit me just fine. They are quite massive, but owning the HD800s I'm sort of used to massive earcups already, so it wasn't that big of an adjustment for me.

Sound wise vs Sundara, the Edition XS are:

- feels cheaper in the hand
- wider and taller soundstage
- brighter top end
- definitely more bass and extend lower
- leaner overall sound
- slightly more detailed

The Sundara vs the Edition XS have:

- feels more expensive in the hand
- more coherent soundstage (width feels a bit more natural)
- warmer sound, more upper mid emphasis (more vocal presence)
- slightly less detailed, more forgiving
- less bass

I want to say that the Edition XS are a wider and taller Sundara with a very slight v-shape. Its more than that though. They sound a bit more ethereal and thin compared to Sundara. Though they very clearly sound like a step up in sheer detail and clarity.

Overall the difference isn't huge, other than the clear difference in soundstage width and height that is afforded by the massive egg shaped earcups. I've found though that, while that soundstage was super impressive the first week or so, after several weeks I've gotten used to it and it doesn't impress me as much switching between the two.

I think the Edition XS is a step up, but maybe not a massive one. Its better at technicalities, but whether or not you enjoy the frequency response more will be subjective. I personally like the Sundara FR better I think, its just a nice mix of planar sound with nice mid forward vocal intimacy. I also do find it more comfortable for extended wear. Sundara is still ridiculous value at $299.

Aug 9, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #4,131 of 4,255
I've had the Edition XS for several weeks now, so I feel like I can provide a decent comparison with the Sundara.

For me, the Edition XS is super comfortable. I was mostly worried about this, as my head is on the small side. With one notch on each earcup, they fit me just fine. They are quite massive, but owning the HD800s I'm sort of used to massive earcups already, so it wasn't that big of an adjustment for me.

- brighter top end
- leaner overall sound
- slightly more detailed

- less bass

I want to say that the Edition XS are a wider and taller Sundara with a very slight v-shape. Its more than that though. They sound a bit more ethereal and thin compared to Sundara. Though they very clearly sound like a step up in sheer detail and clarity.

Overall the difference isn't huge, other than the clear difference in soundstage width and height that is afforded by the massive egg shaped earcups. I've found though that, while that soundstage was super impressive the first week or so, after several weeks I've gotten used to it and it doesn't impress me as much switching between the two.

I think the Edition XS is a step up, but maybe not a massive one. Its better at technicalities, but whether or not you enjoy the frequency response more will be subjective. I personally like the Sundara FR better I think, its just a nice mix of planar sound with nice mid forward vocal intimacy. I also do find it more comfortable for extended wear. Sundara is still ridiculous value at $299.

Thanks for your impressions Schwizzel. I thought about asking you for a direct comparison of these 2 headphones since you praised the XS in the XS - thread, and how it made the Sundara obsolete.

But then I thought: well maybe it’s just the “honeymoon phase” after getting a new toy, as it so often is, which happens to be the case here too.

Good to know about the soundstage comparison, I heard many times the XS’s stage is wider. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean “better”, because I think the ratio of width-to-depth is much more important than width on its own (in order to achieve a more natural presentation). I don’t quite understand how a “tall soundstage” sounds though. Is it more like the imaging is more accurate, e.g. in gaming where there are things above and below? Or is it more like the sounds of instruments fill the room vertically (how the sounds spread 3D rather than where sounds originate from)? I hope you can follow me here. Maybe you have an example where the difference would be noticeable?
EDIT: ..Oh well, now I'm starting to wonder how our ears are actually able to determine if sounds come from above and below in the first place.. When we only have 2 ears on a horizontal axis.. :thinking:

Anyways, regarding music enjoyment, with the info you provided, I think I’ll skip the XS and look for the next step up in the hifiman ladder some time. Such as Ananda or Arya..

Lastly, did you get the XS pre-owned or new?

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #4,132 of 4,255

- brighter top end
- leaner overall sound
- slightly more detailed

- less bass

I don't think I've read a comparison between these two headphones that is more detailed and thorough than this. Thanks for sharing. It seems to me by your write up that the XS resembles the HE-6se v1/v2, except with more bass warmth/body. The 6se is also quite lean. I definitely think the Sundara has more bass and midrange warmth than the 6se, even though the Sundara has been measured to have a bass roll off. If what you're describing is true, I reckon the XS is superior to the 6se for those who enjoy a lean/dry coloration. To me, the Sundara is neither lean nor thick; however, it will deliver body if paired with a fuller sounding amp, and sound thin and analytical with an analytical amp.

That the XS is leaner sounding is a definite hard pass for me. Over time, I've developed quite a distaste for the lean/clinical/analytical/dry coloration, regardless of how "technically superior" it is.

Aug 23, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #4,134 of 4,255
reloaded_front.jpg

Got fresh replacement earpads for my 3.5-year-old Sundara. The new Pali Pads from Hifiman are lighter-colored than the old ones, more like a slate gray instead of black. Much better to have new pads than worn, torn, and flaking old earpads. Still a great headphone that I'm re-appreciating these days, especially since I moved them to a different room so that it doesn't always live in the Shangri-La Jr's shadow.

Aug 25, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #4,135 of 4,255
It seems to me by your write up that the XS resembles the HE-6se v1/v2, except with more bass warmth/body.
XS has less impact and less bass under 60 Hz than the 6 SE. The XS has more midbass which is where perhaps the sense of warmth comes from.
The 6se is also quite lean. I definitely think the Sundara has more bass and midrange warmth than the 6se, even though the Sundara has been measured to have a bass roll off.
XS has a pleasing sound to most including me but in terms of accuracy it’s not a match to the 6SE except in stage size, but doesn’t need a big amp either.

The 2 Sundara I heard were not a match for my 6SE in any way I value - what amp did/do you use with them? Our maybe our tastes are very different.
If what you're describing is true, I reckon the XS is superior to the 6se for those who enjoy a lean/dry coloration. To me, the Sundara is neither lean nor thick; however, it will deliver body if paired with a fuller sounding amp, and sound thin and analytical with an analytical amp.

That the XS is leaner sounding is a definite hard pass for me. Over time, I've developed quite a distaste for the lean/clinical/analytical/dry coloration, regardless of how "technically superior" it is.
It could come down to equipment or samples but the way I heard it the XS is warmer then the Sundara.

Aug 25, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #4,136 of 4,255
XS has less impact and less bass under 60 Hz than the 6 SE. The XS has more midbass which is where perhaps the sense of warmth comes from.

XS has a pleasing sound to most including me but in terms of accuracy it’s not a match to the 6SE except in stage size, but doesn’t need a big amp either.

The 2 Sundara I heard were not a match for my 6SE in any way I value - what amp did/do you use with them? Our maybe our tastes are very different.

It could come down to equipment or samples but the way I heard it the XS is warmer then the Sundara.
Sundara's mids have been described to be more forward than the XS, and I absolutely love the mids on my Sundara. Warmth should add body to the mids as well, and not just be an aspect of bass. A full bodied vocal reproduction to me is much preferable, and from what I've read the XS seems to lack that characteristic.

I'm not sure if you're describing impact in terms of the impact at the same power output, or that one headphone has a higher output capacity than the other. I can guarantee you that the 6se has a lower output capacity than the Sundara...because each time I tried to push the 6se to have the same subbass output, the drivers died.

Now, if you are describing impact at the same level output, that is very interesting...because my memory tells me that the 6se v1/2 has the crappiest bass body of any planar I've owned, which includes: Sundara, HE-400 (og), and HE-560 (og). However, body and impact are not synonymous and body can often increase the perception of impact. It lacks also rumble.

Let's define "impact," "rumble," and "body." To me, rumble would be how well a driver creates the sine wave at high output at subbass frequencies (<50hz). Impact refers to how well it creates high output bass transients, which is not a normal sine, but also contains higher harmonics as well. Body/presence/texture is less quantifiable to me. It's a result of how much a driver is damped. Overdamped drivers create a weightless, clinical sound, whereas underdamped drivers can be muddy, thick, and smeary. A perfectly damped system creates sound that is accurate and detailed, but without losing its "soul."

One problem with the 6se is that it is overdamped. It sounds very lean and wispy, albeit very fast, like my STAX L300. This is to its detriment, because to me it sounds clinical to the point of being inaccurate. It filters the soul out of the sound. The other problem is that it outright dies when pushed too hard, which is in hindsight isn't at all surprising. I've already done the mathematics in one of the 6se threads, and shown that it requires roughly x11 more power to drive the 6se to the same level as the Sundara. Now, most people wouldn't require more than 500mW in 98% of their listening needs from a Sundara—but I'm an abnormal person. I've gotten my Sundara to output as much as 5W when watching movies, or playing a couple tracks that have heavy bass and subbass transients, such as How to Train Your Dragon, and Infected Mushroom - Spitfire, with an EQ bass boost. I don't listen at this level for more than few minutes at a time, of course, and the EQ protects my hearing from the higher frequencies, which are exponentially more damaging to one's hearing. I've often gotten my Schiit Vali 2+ to clip when powering the Sundara...and that thing is capable of >1W per channel.

At the time that I bought the 6se, I noticed something that should've been a red flag for me: I found a number of 6se's for sale on Ebay listed as "for parts," for having a dead driver. It was pretty much only the 6se that was listed as such.

Hifiman's house sound tends toward the lean, overdamped, and the 6se is probably one of the most glaring in this regard. I'm still very, very curious of the sound of the HE-500. Everything about it that I've read tells me it might lean slightly toward underdamped, like the Audeze house sound. Unfortunately, it's still too expensive in the used market. From reading comparisons of the XS and HE-500, the 500 should have even more body than the Sundara.

Aug 25, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #4,137 of 4,255
Thanks for the response. Impact to me is rise time of the struck note. The only way the HE 6 SE v1 or v2 (heard 4 at length, 1 is my main headphone for the past 3.5 years) is deficient vs the Sundara is if ur unit is defective or you don’t have the power. Another possibility is that you don’t listen to music with lower bass output. Try test tones at say 20 and 40 hz and compare. Among fans of HFM planars the 6 screw followed by 4 screw HE-6 are considered to have the best bass. And after that the HE-6 SE is next ahead of all the HEX, HEK, Ananda, Arya, 500, etc. I don’t include the HE-4 or HE-5 because I never heard them. In the case of the 500, 4 posters I recall said it had bass worse than the 400 - and 3 changed their opinion when they got enough power. The 400 (I’ve owned 400, 400i and 4XX) and they all have elevated mid/upper bass and a distinct lack of low bass.

I certainly don’t like excess midbass which means stuff like ZMF is not interesting to me.

The 500 is warmer and has a bit too much mid bass bloom for my taste stock, but the timbre and body are very nice and you might like it properly amped. It’s certainly got it all over 400’s in timbre, speed, and impact but it gets soft under 50 hz compared to the 6 SE. I dislike using the “most people are saying” but at HF most people think the 6 SE is an outstanding bass headphone well ahead of the 400/Sundara. It’s way more bassy then the Stax you mention. I use a hammer of an amp and only the 6 screw, LCD-4, and DCA 2 have better bass of all the cans I have had on it - recently a HEK v2 which is well better than my 6 SE in every way but not in bass impact or articulation under ~60 hz.

We are likely not going to agree. I do know that that my 6 SE is horrific on OTL amps like most planars, and that a platinum stock doesn’t do the job that well either.

I think an LCD-2 or ZMF might be more your cuppa.

P.S. looks like u have the power so it’s either taste or defect, probably taste.

P.S. 2 I just noticed that in Aug 22 you reported that the 6 SE worked well with your old amp (THX 789) but you blew the drivers with your Crown mega amp, and you were able to get more volume in the bass out of your Sundara. So, it appears you can’t test the 6 SE at this point but it does make the notion of a faulty headphone a possibility. My friend CatWhispererBob dumped his Sundara (not enough bass and too bright we both agreed) so I doubt I’ll have access to one again. Oh well.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #4,138 of 4,255
P.S. 2 I just noticed that in Aug 22 you reported that the 6 SE worked well with your old amp (THX 789) but you blew the drivers with your Crown mega amp, and you were able to get more volume in the bass out of your Sundara. So, it appears you can’t test the 6 SE at this point but it does make the notion of a faulty headphone a possibility. My friend CatWhispererBob dumped his Sundara (not enough bass and too bright we both agreed) so I doubt I’ll have access to one again. Oh well.
I'm 99% certain that a faulty 6se was not the case, because:

1. it happened to both drivers,
2. the math checks out. There is no way any headphone could withstand 44+ watts, which is what the 6se would need to match the max output of the Sundara @ 4W.

I think the 6se v1 crapped out at around 5W-10W, though, because it wasn't even close to rumbling and being as impactful as the Sundara when the 6se v1's drivers popped.

I wish I had done that math before proceeding with the bass test. When my 6se v2 came along, I knew not to repeat the test. The v2 I sounds almost identical to the v1. In fact, I had to make very little changes to my EQ settings for the v1, to make the v2 into the same (personally preferred) frequency response for the v2. I think a couple people (you included) mentioned that the two version sound different, so I'll leave that as a caveat.

I've no doubt your friend thought the Sundara lacks bass. It slightly does, thanks to the slight roll off. However, my EQ has dealt well with that, and really I don't believe in listening to headphones without digital parametric EQ anyway. In terms of bass body (which I'd already defined), however, it has a bit more than the 6se. Vocal body/presence the Sundara also has more, which is what contributes to its vocal forwardness. The stock Sundara imo isn't that bright. I don't think I've read anybody saying the Sundara is brighter than the 6se; certainty, I did not feel that way. In fact, my Sundara EQ settings attenuate the treble frequencies less than my 6se v2's settings do. I don't think that's because 6se has a FR that emphasizes the treble more. I think the lack of body from the 6se gives it the perception of being bright. When this happens, and this thin sound is not your cup of tea, then naturally you would want to lower the treble, and up the bass. However, that doesn't really help much. For example, no matter how much I bass boosted the 6se v2, it always sounded hollow and much less musical than the Sundara.

I don't know about the LCD-2. I've heard it errs too much on the side of underdamped, making sounds too much thicker than accurate. I've already run into few occasions with my current Sundara + Crown XLS setup where a person speaking into a Shure SM7B mic would sound a bit richer than what I think they would naturally sound. Never sensed that with the 6se. However, Shure mics are known for this coloration. It's actually not that bad a coloration, and I quite like it.

Aug 26, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #4,139 of 4,255
I've no doubt your friend thought the Sundara lacks bass. It slightly does, thanks to the slight roll off.
I thought so too, but the treble was a bigger negative for me, plus the general lack of detail.
However, my EQ has dealt well with that, and really I don't believe in listening to headphones without digital parametric EQ anyway.
Agreed.
In terms of bass body (which I'd already defined), however, it has a bit more than the 6se. Vocal body/presence the Sundara also has more, which is what contributes to its vocal forwardness. The stock Sundara imo isn't that bright. I don't think I've read anybody saying the Sundara is brighter than the 6se; certainty, I did not feel that way. In fact, my Sundara EQ settings attenuate the treble frequencies less than my 6se v2's settings do. I don't think that's because 6se has a FR that emphasizes the treble more. I think the lack of body from the 6se gives it the perception of being bright. When this happens, and this thin sound is not your cup of tea, then naturally you would want to lower the treble, and up the bass. However, that doesn't really help much. For example, no matter how much I bass boosted the 6se v2, it always sounded hollow and much less musical than the Sundara.

I don't know about the LCD-2. I've heard it errs too much on the side of underdamped, making sounds too much thicker than accurate. I've already run into few occasions with my current Sundara + Crown XLS setup where a person speaking into a Shure SM7B mic would sound a bit richer than what I think they would naturally sound. Never sensed that with the 6se. However, Shure mics are known for this coloration. It's actually not that bad a coloration, and I quite like it.
Can’t agree with any of this. IMO the 6 SE >>> Sundara/400 in every way - except power requirements. It’s got an entry in the high end board and many including me think it’s in the top strata of cans under $2k. The Sundara is a nice budget can that is well exceeded by the XS, Ananda Stealth, 500, 6 SE in the new/used $400-600 space. HFM has it priced accordingly.

Aug 26, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #4,140 of 4,255
I thought so too, but the treble was a bigger negative for me, plus the general lack of detail.

Agreed.

Can’t agree with any of this. IMO the 6 SE >>> Sundara/400 in every way - except power requirements. It’s got an entry in the high end board and many including me think it’s in the top strata of cans under $2k. The Sundara is a nice budget can that is well exceeded by the XS, Ananda Stealth, 500, 6 SE in the new/used $400-600 space. HFM has it priced accordingly.
The vast majority of reviews of the Sundara I've read agrees with my own experience about its excellent treble. I didn't feel there was much difference in the quality of treble between the two headphones. The 6se may have a slightly drier treble, but that's about it. All of this is post-EQ. I think in stock forms, the 6se is comparatively bright.

Hey, that's fine if you think that way about those cans, but I think this statement,
the 6 SE >>> Sundara/400 in every way
is quite funny. I can think of at least three things the Sundara excels over 6 se, and I've already mentioned them in my review from a year ago: the Sundara with the right amping presents music with more life, and intimacy (without sacrificing spaciousness). The Sundara can have much more body, and sound larger, and while being more engaging. The 6se comparatively is distant, yet the sound isn't large; it's just thin and hollow.

I think the 6se is highly overrated, and is not worth the $500 that it was "on sale" as at Adorama. It's funny to me how it was "on sale" for virtually forever. How long does a sale usually last? My guess is: the v1 sold like s***, because people realized that amping the thing is PitA, and it doesn't even sound that great, and since they couldn't sell it, they off-loaded their excess inventory it to Adorama at a discounted price, replaced the headband in order to rebrand it to "v2" at $700. Unfortunately, they realized $700 was still far too high given the low sales rate, especially given the number of returns and warranty claims, so they further dropped it to $500.

Imo, it probably doesn't cost HFM much more, if at all, to manufacture the 6se than the Sundara. Imo, the pricing is most likely almost all marketing BS, as HFM was trying to get away with milking the reputation of the old HE-6 as much as they could. For crying out loud, the headbands on both the v1 and v2 are identical to those on HFM's entry units. Do you really think the assembly that includes the metal frame, magnets, and diaphragm alone accounts for >$1200??? The v1 was originally priced ridiculously at $1700. What an absolute joke!

I've come to a conclusion regarding headphones. After a certain price point ($300-ish), subjective evaluation of each headphone becomes the dominant factor. "Technical superiority" after a certain point, becomes nothing more than buzz terms and marketing, more so than actual innovation and manufacturing costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back