Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Aug 18, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #2,686 of 4,255
Hi folks!

What did you think about the best amplifiers or DAC's working well with the Sundara? Which are the most recommanded things next to her? Mojo said a lot of times but what about JDS Atom, O2, Schiit Heresy, AAA-887, AAA-789, or any Topping (A50, A90) or SMSL (SP 200 maybe)?

Any recommendations?
I received a JDS Element II yesterday. I looked at a bunch of different units and ultimately went with the Element II due to the stellar reputation of JDS, the all-in-one design of DAC/AMP, very clean design, and it fits well in the space I have. It may be a bit on the high side of cost and I was willing to spend more to get what I wanted. So far, it's pretty awesome and driving the Sundara easily, while the combo is pulling out details in music that's pretty amazing.

Aug 18, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #2,687 of 4,255
That’s what I wrote yes:)
The Amanda and Arya are more linear sounding cans but at the expense of dynamics. It’s a fairly easy experiment actually. If you eq your Sundara to be more like it’s pricier big brothers..well you end up with a similar result: a flatter sounding headphone but with less dynamics and ‘punch’ to the music.

"Dynamics" can be enhanced by adding in the sibelence range - which the Sundara has as much of +5db in the 6-10 kHz range. My HEX v2 is short of dynamics stock, gets well more dynamic under proper EQ. Stuff like the 770 (a lot) and Ananda (some) lose some of that sense when they get EQ'd.

But round body and long body HFM's are different. The HEX v2, Ananda, HEK v1 come from the earlier generation of the long bodies when lack of dynamic impact - very notable in the bass - is clear.

Among existing round HFM's the HE-6, HE5, HE-4, and HE-500 pretty much tops the Sundara in most/all areas (better tone, definition, bass impact). Among the newer long body HFM's the dynamics issue is much less notable in the HEK v2, and Arya, and I can't find it it in the HEKse.

Of all the HFM cans mentioned here, the Sundara has the weakest bass - already falling off at 110 Hz. It's a very good budget can, but it doesn't run the table.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #2,688 of 4,255
I prefer Hounds of Love (slightly), but it's probably because it was an early CD purchase of mine that I listened to a lot back in the day. She does sound great on the Sundara!

I have it tied with Never For Ever in 2nd. "Cloudbusting" is a great video if you've never seen it.

Aug 18, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #2,689 of 4,255
"Dynamics" can be enhanced by adding in the sibelence range - which the Sundara has as much of +5db in the 6-10 kHz range. My HEX v2 is short of dynamics stock, gets well more dynamic under proper EQ. Stuff like the 770 (a lot) and Ananda (some) lose some of that sense when they get EQ'd.

But round body and long body HFM's are different. The HEX v2, Ananda, HEK v1 come from the earlier generation of the long bodies when lack of dynamic impact - very notable in the bass - is clear.

Among existing round HFM's the HE-6, HE5, HE-4, and HE-500 pretty much tops the Sundara in most/all areas (better tone, definition, bass impact). Among the newer long body HFM's the dynamics issue is much less notable in the HEK v2, and Arya, and I can't find it it in the HEKse.

Of all the HFM cans mentioned here, the Sundara has the weakest bass - already falling off at 110 Hz. It's a very good budget can, but it doesn't run the table.
I agree with a lot of what you say but ultimately find that you are leaving out individual preference from the equation. Personally I prefer Kate Bush albums over my Sundara, while the 500 easily bests it if I’m in the mood for say Jim Morrison’s crooning vibes.
Similarly, I’ve always prefered the 500 as an allrounder vs the HE6. The latter is slightly “better” in some areas but again only really trumps the little brother when fed with beautifully recorded albums. That’s ultimately what the extra amount of treble energy gives me.
This hobby is inherantly subjective and one man’s “best can” is another man’s “biggest diappointment”.

Aug 18, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #2,690 of 4,255
I agree with a lot of what you say but ultimately find that you are leaving out individual preference from the equation. Personally I prefer Kate Bush albums over my Sundara, while the 500 easily bests it if I’m in the mood for say Jim Morrison’s crooning vibes.
Similarly, I’ve always prefered the 500 as an allrounder vs the HE6. The latter is slightly “better” in some areas but again only really trumps the little brother when fed with beautifully recorded albums. That’s ultimately what the extra amount of treble energy gives me.
This hobby is inherantly subjective and one man’s “best can” is another man’s “biggest diappointment”.

I agree the 500 is easier to contend with the 6 (although heavy impact low bass on the 6 is well better than the 500), and in almost every way I prefer my 500 to the Sundara. That's important because 500's used and Sundaras new are very much in the same price range, and its a suggestion I've made to before. I even endorse the notion that the Sundara is better than the Ananda considering price.

If you understand we are in subjective land, then my post shouldn't be a problem. In the past I have used IMO's and long stories about amps, DACs, and formative listening experiences to help people understand my comments. Sometimes I just say what I think. 400i < Sundara < Ananda < HEX v2 < HE500 | HE6 | HE6se.

Aug 25, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #2,692 of 4,255
Would this balanced cable intended for the Beyerdynamic T1 fit the Sundara? https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/connection-cable-audiophile-3m-balanced.html It says: "On headphones side with 3.5 mm jack plugs with proprietary beyerdynamic locking mechanism" . I wonder if the proprietary locking mechanism might be a problem on other headphones? I sold my T1s but still have the balanced cable, and am considering getting the Sundaras.

Aug 25, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #2,693 of 4,255
Would this balanced cable intended for the Beyerdynamic T1 fit the Sundara? https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/connection-cable-audiophile-3m-balanced.html It says: "On headphones side with 3.5 mm jack plugs with proprietary beyerdynamic locking mechanism" . I wonder if the proprietary locking mechanism might be a problem on other headphones? I sold my T1s but still have the balanced cable, and am considering getting the Sundaras.
the amiron home cable is good for the sundara.

Aug 27, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #2,694 of 4,255
Just few short notes.

Love them, using with with ifi zen dac with bass boost on for more fun, sounds nice, volume at 12~1, max(~5:30) is loudish, but not painful. I think its a great combo for the budget

pads had glue problems(separated from rings) seller promised to send replacement, still waiting though, might need to remind, found that beyer dt770 stock pads fit great, but is a bit of a stretch to put on, so whatever fits beyers should fit them if not too thick for rings

Aug 29, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #2,695 of 4,255
I've been watching the Sundara often when I'm browsing on the webstore here that sells high-end headphones and sometimes I'd like to buy it.
How does the Sundara sound against Amiron Home and T5p? And the wearing comfort and ear-piercing highs or not?

Aug 30, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #2,696 of 4,255
Yes that will work on Sundara. It is 3.5mm connection which is all you need. I have more than one set of balanced cables and the ones that fit my T1 also fit my Sundara (although I use different balanced cables for the T1 by preference).

Sep 1, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #2,698 of 4,255
Hi folks!

What did you think about the best amplifiers or DAC's working well with the Sundara? Which are the most recommanded things next to her? Mojo said a lot of times but what about JDS Atom, O2, Schiit Heresy, AAA-887, AAA-789, or any Topping (A50, A90) or SMSL (SP 200 maybe)?

Any recommendations?
i have sundara and sp200 wonderful combination

Users who are viewing this thread

Back