Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Feb 12, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #2,116 of 4,255
@BubbaJay, how would you compare the Sundaras to the HD700 or the Nighthawk? Mainly for clarity, subbass and stage. The LCD-2C also picked my interest but I read it's dark sounding.

Feb 12, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #2,117 of 4,255
@BubbaJay, how would you compare the Sundaras to the HD700 or the Nighthawk? Mainly for clarity, subbass and stage. The LCD-2C also picked my interest but I read it's dark sounding.
NighHawk is pretty dark and doesn't have the clarity of the Sundara. It has non-fatiguing sound though so you can listen to it for long periods of time.

Feb 12, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #2,118 of 4,255
NighHawk is pretty dark and doesn't have the clarity of the Sundara. It has non-fatiguing sound though so you can listen to it for long periods of time.
Agreed. The Nighthawk, for me, lacks dynamics and while certainly non-offensive relatedly is also not very engaging.

Feb 12, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #2,119 of 4,255

16:15 Now we are talking sundara sound stage, turn volume up make things bigger
22:25 Direct sundara competition which are triple the price and easier to drive

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #2,120 of 4,255

16:15 Now we are talking sundara sound stage, turn volume up make things bigger
22:25 Direct sundara competition which are triple the price and easier to drive

The way you worded your sentence suggests that the Sundara is easier to drive (I'm pretty sure that isn't what you meant). I hope that wouldn't be the case as the Sundara are not really easy to drive. Using my Q5s AM3D via the 3.5mm input I have the volume at 100% and it is not at all loud enough, barely acceptable volume level. Granted that is low gain, but regardless, I have driven several other headphones to a much more satisfying volume level with the same input on the AM3D. It was a shame that HiFi Man made the connector chambers on the cup deeper than on the Edition X V2 as I have a simple, but nice, 4.4mm terminated cable that I can use with the AM3D but I could not test the Sundara through it. Safe to say that the Sundara is not easy to drive.

Feb 13, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #2,121 of 4,255
The way you worded your sentence suggests that the Sundara is easier to drive (I'm pretty sure that isn't what you meant). I hope that wouldn't be the case as the Sundara are not really easy to drive. Using my Q5s AM3D via the 3.5mm input I have the volume at 100% and it is not at all loud enough, barely acceptable volume level. Granted that is low gain, but regardless, I have driven several other headphones to a much more satisfying volume level with the same input on the AM3D. It was a shame that HiFi Man made the connector chambers on the cup deeper than on the Edition X V2 as I have a simple, but nice, 4.4mm terminated cable that I can use with the AM3D but I could not test the Sundara through it. Safe to say that the Sundara is not easy to drive.

Paraphrased Zeos and he mant the Helios was easier to driver, sorry for confusion.

Feb 13, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #2,122 of 4,255
Paraphrased Zeos and he mant the Helios was easier to driver, sorry for confusion.
No worries, and I was pretty sure that you meant that the Sundara was harder to drive.

Feb 13, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #2,123 of 4,255
No worries, and I was pretty sure that you meant that the Sundara was harder to drive.

He said to forget HD68X, 400I, DT880 and it was as good as a Sundara, not sure I agree.

Feb 15, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #2,124 of 4,255
Does anyone know anything about the stealth revision version of the sundara as mentioned by "the headphone show" on utube released 4 days ago? From what I heard the pads are undoubtedly different and they made everything better from fit to sound. I wonder if the revision is just a change of pads?

I've owned the sundara for a year. LOVED the headphone. But about 9 months in both of the pads are ripped. Very disappointed because I took great care of them. Inside the pads are like blue greenish foams.

Feb 20, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #2,125 of 4,255
I'm considering getting myself a Sundara. Since this would be my first planar, I'm wondering if I need to take extra care of it in compare to regular dynamic headphones.
Currently I own an HD598, and I literally have never taken care of it. When not in use, it simply lays on my desk which is kinda messy all the time. I wonder if planars are, for example, sensitive to dust or something?

Feb 20, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #2,126 of 4,255
I bought mine within the last couple of weeks and it seems to have the updated pads. Very happy with mine as well.

I do have a question about the cable. I am looking to buy a balanced cable for use with this and some of the other headphones I have (Focal Elegia, Meze 99). The OEM cable for the Sundara is 3.5 mm stereo to dual 3.5 mm stereo plugs, while the Focal and Meze 99 both use 3.5 mm stereo to dual 3.5 mm mono plugs. The Sundara seems to work fine when using a cable with 3.5 mm mono plugs at the headphone end. However, would that make a difference if I was using a balanced cable? Another words, can I use the same 4 pin XLR to dual 3.5 mm mono balanced cable with all three headphones?

Feb 20, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #2,127 of 4,255
I'm considering getting myself a Sundara. Since this would be my first planar, I'm wondering if I need to take extra care of it in compare to regular dynamic headphones.
Currently I own an HD598, and I literally have never taken care of it. When not in use, it simply lays on my desk which is kinda messy all the time. I wonder if planars are, for example, sensitive to dust or something?
The build of the Sundara is pretty good, but you still want to be careful. The build and look is such that you will want to take care of it.

Feb 21, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #2,128 of 4,255
I wouldn't worry. They are built very sturdy and there is a thin fabric to prevent dust from getting on the drivers.

Feb 21, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #2,129 of 4,255
The build of the Sundara is pretty good, but you still want to be careful. The build and look is such that you will want to take care of it.
It looks and feels damn good.

I wouldn't worry. They are built very sturdy and there is a thin fabric to prevent dust from getting on the drivers.
That's good to know. I was worrying that I might need to clean it with an air blower every now and then like cameras.

Feb 21, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #2,130 of 4,255
What Hifiman headphone, with same sound philosophy than Sundara, would be an upgrade of Sundara ? I particulary like the natural sound / realism of Sundara.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back