Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Jan 20, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #2,101 of 4,255
Planars have flat OI curve. They sound almost the same out of all sources, provided they have matching vrms regardless of Oi. Partly the reason I opted for them as I dont wanna deal with the headache of upgrading gears for no reason whatsoever.

Jan 20, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #2,102 of 4,255
@ScottPilgrim get a E1DA 9038s usb dongle for them on your LG G7

You can tweak a lot with AutoEQ preset... its crazy how much more calm or energetic you can make them sound..
Compared to my dt880 with 250ohm they are much much better
Interesting. Do they push out more power than the LG on high impedance mode? I am looking for a lot more energy in the sound though, but im struggling to find the headroom for eqing it in.

Jan 20, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #2,103 of 4,255
9038s can make you deaf in no time if you want to :wink:
You get 9038s because you want pure super detailed sound. use velcro tape and tape it on the back case of your phone short usb cable and ready to go. .. of course if you have balanced cables! But 9038d will come and work unbalanced

Jan 20, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #2,104 of 4,255
9038s can make you deaf in no time if you want to :wink:
You get 9038s because you want pure super detailed sound. use velcro tape and tape it on the back case of your phone short usb cable and ready to go. .. of course if you have balanced cables! But 9038d will come and work unbalanced

What Krassi Says the 9038s can blow your hearing no problem combined with a he4 series headphone, little twerky to use tho but will get the job done no problem, currently running my he4xx on them as i write 30% volume on the source and the he4xx are loud! They push out above half a watt!!
IMG_20200120_161044.jpg

Have a look at their AliExpress page:
#Aliexpress € 71,34 | E1DA 9038S Gen 2 Usb Dac Hoofdtelefoon Amp En Kabels
https://a.aliexpress.com/_sXfBGV.

Sorry for the Dutch in the link my AP is set to Dutch.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #2,106 of 4,255
I'm so impressed with this headphone. They're not as good overall as some of my other headphones but they have such a pleasing sound to me that has me reaching for these over some of my better headphones. Now, I know some of it's because they're my newest pair but when I plug them into that SP200 THX amp they sound great and not just for the price either. Whether I'm listening to some good house, techno, metal or anything in between they handle it all very well. For $350 these are a no brainer for anyone looking for their first audiophile-grade headphone.

Feb 5, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #2,107 of 4,255
I see folks recommend the Dekoni Elite Hybrid for the TH-900, but why not the one made for HiFiMan? For those that buy the one for the TH-900, are you taking the plastic rings from the stock pads and gluing them to the Dekonis? I just purchased the one for the TH-900 thinking it came with the rings. Then I bought the ones for HiFiMan. But now I’m wondering if there’s a difference?

Feb 5, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #2,108 of 4,255
I'm really loving this headphone at the moment, even more than my Aiva and 2C. It has such a clean balanced sound with plenty of speed and detail. The soundstage is every bit as good as the 2C and much better than the Aiva. The fact you can get a headphone this good for $350 is crazy to me and if I was looking for my first good one but don't want to spend a lot this would be it.

I've seen some people say the Ananda is an upgraded version of the Sundara and if it sounds like the Sundara but better I'm going to have to get it eventually.

Ananda an upgrade of the Sundara? HFM has two main development threads for full sized headphones. The Round which goes back to HE-4, HE-5, HE-5LE, HE-6, HE-400, HE-500, HE-560, Sundara and the teardrop headphones are the HEX and HEK series as well as Ananda and the Arya.

I think they are both a bit brighter than neutral. They are both pretty good for what they are. The Sundara and Ananda may have membranes that are similar in thickness but the drivers are certainly not similar. Listen and decide.

Feb 6, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #2,109 of 4,255
Ananda an upgrade of the Sundara? HFM has two main development threads for full sized headphones. The Round which goes back to HE-4, HE-5, HE-5LE, HE-6, HE-400, HE-500, HE-560, Sundara and the teardrop headphones are the HEX and HEK series as well as Ananda and the Arya.

I think they are both a bit brighter than neutral. They are both pretty good for what they are. The Sundara and Ananda may have membranes that are similar in thickness but the drivers are certainly not similar. Listen and decide.

The variant physical geometry makes a big head stage difference. I see them as complementary rather than competitive.

Feb 6, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #2,110 of 4,255
I see folks recommend the Dekoni Elite Hybrid for the TH-900, but why not the one made for HiFiMan? For those that buy the one for the TH-900, are you taking the plastic rings from the stock pads and gluing them to the Dekonis? I just purchased the one for the TH-900 thinking it came with the rings. Then I bought the ones for HiFiMan. But now I’m wondering if there’s a difference?
Well, I’ll answer my own question. Having gotten both HFM and Fostex TH-900 Dekoni pads, the only difference seems to be that the Fostex pads do not have the plastic rings that are needed to fit the pads onto the Sundara. Not sure why the Fostex were even recommended (could be I just misread something somewhere), but for anyone looking for Dekoni pads for the Sundara, just get the ones made for HFM.

Feb 7, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #2,113 of 4,255
Can't speak directly about either of those amps, but they're very easy to drive; even unamped they sound fantastic.

Feb 11, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #2,114 of 4,255
Sundaras are worth a look new and used at those price points. In the HFM line, the 560 and 500 are reasonable alternatives. I prefer the 500 over the other two, but, it doesn't fully come alive IMO w/o some mods. The 560 has some sort of issue at about 9.5 kHz but is quite flat overall. The Sundara has an issue at 6 kHz and has a slightly warm sound from the mid bass into the midrange. I know the 500 best and could go on about its flaws and traits - but go check out the 500 threads for that.

Whichever of the 3 you get, it's going to be a good thing.

Feb 11, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #2,115 of 4,255
I really enjoy this headphone a lot. It might not be as detailed as some of my other headphones or have the imaging capability as others but as whole it's a very complete headphone for the price.

The respond well to eq'ing and when I need a little more bass I go up about a quarter to half turn on my Loki and they sound great. I'm thinking of getting some Dekoni pads for them as well as maybe upgrading the cable since I can use it with these and my HP-3 and Elear. I have some velour Dekoni pads on my HE-400i and I think they fit on the Sundara so I might try those.

I got mine from Headamp and they were $299 as an open box and I couldn't even tell if they were ever used. At $350 these are still one of the best buys under $500 you can get imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back