Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Jul 4, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #1,966 of 4,255
Headphones do need a good amp to sound their best but it's rare that you will go from not liking a headphone to liking it with just a change of amp.
This is true, though I do find my LCD-2C uninspiring when specifically using the THX 789. Like, I'd likely sell the 2C if that was my only amp.

Jul 4, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #1,968 of 4,255
Headphones do need a good amp to sound their best but it's rare that you will go from not liking a headphone to liking it with just a change of amp.

Usually it's like changing the colors slightly on a palette. Every now and then its a freakin' avalanche.

In the real world lately - it's the change of SE to XLR on my Rag. Nice amp turns into both controlled and growling in the bass, overtone city in the highs, and more depth and clarity in the mids. Before some objective weenie wants to rain on me, log on onto Schiit and see what happens to the WPC and output impedance when the change is made.

All time? Dyna 410 -> Threshold Stasis 3; Classe CA-400 -> Pass X-150

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #1,969 of 4,255
How is the pairing Sundara / Violectric V281 ?

I read somewhere that planars pair better with SS amps than with tube amps, is it true ?

Which SS amp would you recommend with Sundara ? Preferably an amp with power because I don’t exclude to buy some hard to drive headphones in the future.
I have both Vali 2 and Lyr 3, and LOVE both the HE4xx and Sundara with them. 4xx is my daily driver with the Vali 2, am testing (and really consideribg buying) the Sundara. But have no fear, they work great with tube hybrids, too!

Jul 7, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #1,970 of 4,255
Can't go wrong with the iFi Micro iDSD BL if you can afford it. Otherwise the Burson Playmate is a good option around that price point.
Thanks for the suggestion. I keep looking at the Micro and wondering how much of that sound I’m already getting—maybe I will sell the nano to find out! Will do some research on the Burson.

Jul 8, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #1,971 of 4,255
Just got the Sundaras today. With 2 year warranty just in case of those infamous driver failures. Out of the box they sound ****ing splendid on my Fiio A3. However I have to put the Fiio on High Gain mode and I dont like that. Is there any other good amp which would drive sundara properly without activating High gain mode?

Jul 8, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #1,972 of 4,255
Just got the Sundaras today. With 2 year warranty just in case of those infamous driver failures. Out of the box they sound ****ing splendid on my Fiio A3. However I have to put the Fiio on High Gain mode and I dont like that. Is there any other good amp which would drive sundara properly without activating High gain mode?
https://jdslabs.com/product/atom-amp/

Jul 9, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #1,977 of 4,255
Sundara is deceptively easy to drive, and sounds pretty good right out of my S8 cell.

HOWEVER, Sundara is really a power hungry beast, and benefits greatly from a beefy, balanced amp, if you want the last drop of planar goodness.

(I drive mine with a Schiit Mjolnir 2, balanced, and a Gumby.)

Jul 10, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #1,978 of 4,255
I wonder how the Sundara would sound through my Eddie Current ZDT Jr.. It has a transformer, so it has more current than an OTL. Steve from CNET loved his with the HEX.

Sad I sold my Sundie, but the Atticus was damn expensive!

Jul 10, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #1,980 of 4,255
I was in a hifi store and I tried both HD800 and sundara. Both were tried in a desctop dac/amp provided by the store. I could say that Sundara sounded better. I dont now if it makes sense but Sundara sounded very wet. Like the sound was coming through water in my ears. While I cannot say the same for HD800. Logically I went out of the store with Sundara in my hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back