Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Jun 16, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #1,951 of 4,250
And just an update, sadly I won't at this time be joining the Sundara club as the Edition X V2 I had been after became available so I jumped on it and cancelled my Sundara for now anyway. I will likely end up with a Sundara in the future as it sounds like a fabulous headphone. Cheers.

Jun 21, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #1,952 of 4,250
I’ve been privileged to be on the Sundara tour, received them a bit more than a week ago and have been putting them through their paces.

My listening rigs are both supplied with lossless files (a mix of FLAC and ALAC) from a Squeezebox Server (formerly Logitech Media Server or LMS, now being updated in the public domain) to a Squeezebox Classic or Raspberry Pi endpoints with HiFiBerry DigiOut Hats. From those Endpoints, my main system is Schiit’s Bifrost into aSchiit Saga, then to the Schiit Lyr 3. On my office desk are Schiit Modi Multibit and Vali 2. With that said, I’ve had a blast with Sundara, comparing them to my other cans (Hifiman HE4xx, Sennheiser HD6xx, and AKG K-7xx) - Massdrop/Drop has been very good for my ears, as you can tell!

First, I find the Sundara extremely fast and responsive, with a medium-sized soundstage. The sound very neutral to me, with better punch in the bass registers than their cheaper siblings, the HE4xx. Their detail matches or betters that of the Sennheisers, and they are the most comfortable pair of headphones I’ve ever worn. The ear cups are spacious, and the headband is very comfortable - and I have a large head... Build quality is far better than their 4xx siblings, I especially like the sizing mechanism and the new cup yokes. All in all, these are sturdy and well built.

Sound-wise, I love their overall neutrality, the bass punch, and the speed of the new planar elements. That allows for a tonne of great detail and clarity to my older ears (I’m in my late 50s, and spent a number of years as a crew member in a missile silo, which may have caused some hearing loss. So my ears, while obviously not yours, may be suspect.

What i don’t like (and I’m still playing various music to try and analyse it) is the highs, specifically with female operatic vocals, which sound quite shrill and harsh to my ears. I know this is contrary to Currawong’s reviews, but they’re my ears. Specifically, I listened to Lucia Popp as Queen of the Night in Mozart’s The Magic Flute, and a disc of French arias by coloratura soprano Sumi Jo. I'm now finding everything I have in that range in any genre, so Geddy Lee and Rush are next on my list. 2112 here I come!

Do I like them enough to buy a pair. Yes I do... And since the headphones are on tour, and I don’t get to keep anything, I owe Hifiman nothing but my thanks for including me on the tour, and giving me a chance to listen to these. BTW, this equipment tour is a brilliant idea, more companies should do this!

I will revise and report after some more higher frequency listening...

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #1,953 of 4,250
Has anyone here compared these to the HE5se? I haven't heard the Sundara in over a year, and have the HE5se now - which is similar to the HE5, HE5LE in name only - seem in memory to be somewhat similar.

Jun 29, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #1,954 of 4,250
Anyone know how to remove the Sundara's headband from the earcups? Hifiman had to send me a replacement but I can't get the old ones off. I've tried turning the silver bolt you see externally and the screw that's hidden behind the driver, but they won't loosen.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Jun 30, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #1,955 of 4,250
I changed my mind...again. Not with regards to the Sundara..no no no. I still vastly prefer this baby to most other cans in my collection...again depending on mood and what I had for dinner (whiskey amd rabbits!?!?!!!).
-But I used to dislike planars over tubes. Mostly because I felt planars already sound smooth to begin with and yaddayaddayadda...
Well I’ll have to eat my own words..with pleasure and seasalt!
The Sundara is earthshakingly brilliant out of my Valhalla 2 (low gain circa 12 o clock). Still maintains it’s overall persona yet the amp slightly eschews the presentation and when you then combine that with the slightly acid drenched transients, it conjures up a new exciting and highly holographic listening experience.
I had Mwandishi’s experimental masterpiece Crossings playing earlier this morning and was literally taken aback by the sound quality on offer. Never heard this album sound so wonderful before. Especially the drums! Holy sardines!!! It was as if someone magical, like a hip Merlin, somehow interweaved fireflies and floating oak tree-matter into a presumably wholly naive Hifiman Sundara.
...and it’s not like it’s limited to a specific album by Herbie either. I catch those fireflies and beautiful oaky notes infused in every album I put on and much to my surprise have yet to come across one that didn’t benefit immensely from what, really when you get down to it, seems like something straight out of Tinkerbell’s private stash.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #1,956 of 4,250
Loved my Sundara via VH2 (hi-gain for me) and especially love Ananda on VH2. Replaced the 6N1Ps with a pair of Brimar CV4033 12AT7s (adapter required) and it is absolute bliss!!

Don't tell anyone, but I like this combo as much and maybe a tad better than Lyr 3. Shhhhh. :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #1,957 of 4,250
How is the pairing Sundara / Violectric V281 ?

I read somewhere that planars pair better with SS amps than with tube amps, is it true ?

Which SS amp would you recommend with Sundara ? Preferably an amp with power because I don’t exclude to buy some hard to drive headphones in the future.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #1,958 of 4,250

I read somewhere that planars pair better with SS amps than with tube amps, is it true ?

Which SS amp would you recommend with Sundara ? Preferably an amp with power because I don’t exclude to buy some hard to drive headphones in the future.

I'd really recommend Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ based on experience if you want something flagship. I heard that Violectric 281 is nice, but haven't heard it myself before.

As for sundara, it likes both good tube AMPs and good SS AMPs, both do a great job. I love them the most with Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ and Wells Milo, both SS.

Jul 2, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #1,959 of 4,250
Currently listening to these with ifi Nano Black on the desk and TEAC HA501 at my little listening station (CD Player and Turntable).

I am thinking of 500ish DAC/AMP combo for these to use at the computer since they travel around my room (along with M1060s my current closed alternative to the Sundara).

Jul 2, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #1,960 of 4,250

The Sundara sounds great single ended or balanced via a V281, but I think the V281 might be overkill because the Sundara sounds great with just a V200.

Jul 3, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #1,961 of 4,250
Currently listening to these with ifi Nano Black on the desk and TEAC HA501 at my little listening station (CD Player and Turntable).

I am thinking of 500ish DAC/AMP combo for these to use at the computer since they travel around my room (along with M1060s my current closed alternative to the Sundara).

Can't go wrong with the iFi Micro iDSD BL if you can afford it. Otherwise the Burson Playmate is a good option around that price point.

Jul 3, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #1,962 of 4,250
The Sundara sounds great single ended or balanced via a V281, but I think the V281 might be overkill because the Sundara sounds great with just a V200.

Yep for Sundara maybe V281 is overkill, but as I said I might be tempted by some hard to drive headphones in the future

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #1,963 of 4,250
I'd really recommend Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ based on experience if you want something flagship. I heard that Violectric 281 is nice, but haven't heard it myself before.

As for sundara, it likes both good tube AMPs and good SS AMPs, both do a great job. I love them the most with Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ and Wells Milo, both SS.

Thanks George, I didn’t know the Milo and from what I´m actually reading it seems a very good amp with tons of power : did you try Mojo -> Milo -> Sundara ?

Jul 4, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #1,964 of 4,250
I have a question. I have been using my Sundara with my micca Origen g2. I think it have enough power for my needs ( 12 o clocks with low gain). The problem Is that i am not enjoying the sundara anymore. They fatigue me more than the dt880 and dt990. I am thinking to sell my sundara but I am wondering if a jds lab atom will make my change my mind. I know the atom is a very clean amp, neutral and detailed. Will these make the sundara worst or I will like them?

Jul 4, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #1,965 of 4,250
I have a question. I have been using my Sundara with my micca Origen g2. I think it have enough power for my needs ( 12 o clocks with low gain). The problem Is that i am not enjoying the sundara anymore. They fatigue me more than the dt880 and dt990. I am thinking to sell my sundara but I am wondering if a jds lab atom will make my change my mind. I know the atom is a very clean amp, neutral and detailed. Will these make the sundara worst or I will like them?
Headphones do need a good amp to sound their best but it's rare that you will go from not liking a headphone to liking it with just a change of amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back