HiFiMan Shangri-La Jr (New $8000 Electrostat)
Feb 18, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #421 of 569
Did you compare between sr. And Jr? Or against jade 2? I'm curious if the 3 all sound the same and only the amps and pricing separates them.

Compared between Sr. and Jr. but couldn't really A/B as I had to come back later to listen to Sr. And where some posters earlier may have a point is that the sheer number of headphones on display at the Hifiman table was staggering, to the point where I couldn't tell which headphone I was listening to without asking. So really, there were five lookalike headphones to the left and couldn't tell you which one was Jade, although, I would've noticed the electrostatic HP had I paid more attention. I was really focused on the Shangri-Las I guess. I only got to listen to Sr. Jr. and Ananda.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #422 of 569
Compared between Sr. and Jr. but couldn't really A/B as I had to come back later to listen to Sr. And where some posters earlier may have a point is that the sheer number of headphones on display at the Hifiman table was staggering, to the point where I couldn't tell which headphone I was listening to without asking. So really, there were five lookalike headphones to the left and couldn't tell you which one was Jade, although, I would've noticed the electrostatic HP had I paid more attention. I was really focused on the Shangri-Las I guess. I only got to listen to Sr. Jr. and Ananda.

so between the SR and JR did you listen to them out of their own designated amps or were you able to listen to both from same amp to compare not the system, but just the cans?

Feb 18, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #423 of 569
I only got to listen to Sr. Jr. and Ananda

You need to elaborate more buddy. Get that pen and paper out. We all waiting for that essay of yours.

Feb 18, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #424 of 569
Some quick impressions from CanJam NYC:

- SR: Second time I've heard it, but very briefly both times (like two minutes). In the same general class as the STAX 007/009; would love to compare them side by side. Price is ridiculous.
- JR: Sounded closed in and muffled compared to the SR. Wondered if it was defective, since I thought it sounded better a CanJam NYC last year. Again, only had a very brief listen.
- Jade II: Another quick listen. Initial impression was more positive than the JR. Price seems fair. Would like to give it a longer term listen.

I did not hear enough of any of them to really characterize the sound.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #425 of 569
At this point, I don't see why I wouldn't just buy a used 007 and something midrange from mjolnir-audio. HFM's utter inability to focus on products feels like early 1990s Apple. They have a million things, sprayed as if from a shotgun, and nobody knows who's who or what's what.

Is Jade 2 better than HE1K? What about HE1KSE? Does it depend on the amp?

Is Jade 2 better than HE-6 SE? What about the Arya? What about Edition X V2?

I'm glad to see their low to mid range headphones increasing in quantity. Sundara, Ananda, and HE560 are all great things to have in the lineup. But what are their differences? What is a super-nano diaphragm? How is Sundara different from Ananda?

Apple has a nice chart where you can compare specs. With headphones there's so much magic, hype, and bullschiit surrounding them that overloading the market is just an exercise in confusion.

HFM needs to give us clarity about what each headphone does, and stop throwing around buzzwords that lay people have no idea as to the meaning of.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #426 of 569
At this point, I don't see why I wouldn't just buy a used 007 and something midrange from mjolnir-audio. HFM's utter inability to focus on products feels like early 1990s Apple. They have a million things, sprayed as if from a shotgun, and nobody knows who's who or what's what.

I'm glad to see their low to mid range headphones increasing in quantity. Sundara, Ananda, and HE560 are all great things to have in the lineup. But what are their differences? What is a super-nano diaphragm? How is Sundara different from Ananda?

Apple has a nice chart where you can compare specs. With headphones there's so much magic, hype, and bullschiit surrounding them that overloading the market is just an exercise in confusion.

HFM needs to give us clarity about what each headphone does, and stop throwing around buzzwords that lay people have no idea as to the meaning of.

In my setup i liked Jade II more than HE1K V2. I also liked Jade II more than Susvara in my setup. Susvara is definitely better than any other planar i've heard though, but pairing synergy is critical with susvara sound.

Feb 19, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #427 of 569
The Jr's build quality looks worse than Susvara. Susvara is actually pretty well made after I gave the stock cables for my dog to chew. I don't mind overpaying for sound if it doesn't look good. You don't care how good your surgeon looks as long as he is skilled. You just don't want your surgeon to have a heart attack during your operation. I'm afraid the Jr is going to have a cable-stroke after a year.

Feb 19, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #428 of 569
Spent about a half hour at the Hifiman Shangri La corner at Can Jam, which included the Jade. I thought the Shangri La along with the Shangri la Jr were the best HP's I have ever heard. Full bodied sound. It was warm with a solid mid range and true bass. With the HP's on, the actual earcups seemed to disappear. The Jr was the same sound except a lot less of it, I guess commensurate with the reduced price. They both sounded better than the Susvara to me because they had palatable bass, while the Susvara seemed to lack bass even compared to the HE1000 SE. Although the Susvara also had one of the most 3d sound stages I have ever heard. The Stax 009 was disappointing, even with the full Blue Hawaii setup. Good sound staging, not superb, clean but nowhere near the high end Hifiman, also lacking what I would call true bass. The Jade was a very different sound. It was decent all around and at $2,499 a good value. To me it sounds a little less like an electrostatic and more like a planar HP. If I got a really good discount on a Jade I would consider one.

Feb 19, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #429 of 569
The Jr was the same sound except a lot less of it, I guess commensurate with the reduced price.

I am assuming the Jr, is about 90% of the sound of the Sr. When we are comparing a 18K headphone to a 4K headphone, I sure hope that the former is better! Even thou the Jr is less in overall technicalities to the Sr, it is still an impressive headphone. And is definitely better than the Susvara. And i came to the conclusion that the Jr, is if a 'Susvara' went electrostatic on us!

he Jade was a very different sound.

This is interesting. The original Jade is to me a refine better HE6 and HD800 combine. I am wondering if the Jade 2 is challenging the HE6se? Just like the Jr, is a better version of the Susvara. I am wondering if the Jade2 is a better version of the HE6se?

If I got a really good discount on a Jade I would consider one.

You do know its $1300 just for the headphone? Better to buy only the headphone and use it with a KGs amps or staxs amps.

HFM needs to give us clarity about what each headphone does

I think the ranking of Hifiman is put like this;

1. Sr - Statement product
2. Jr - Electrostatic flagship
3. Susvara - Planar flagship
4. Jade2 - Affordable stats
5. HE6se - Affordable planar
6. HE1000se
7. HE1000v2
etch......

p.s. If only Sennheiser release the HE-1 headphone alone with a staxs end :astonished: . I wonder where this battle will go ?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #431 of 569

let me answer the jade2 vs he1000se, the jade will not even get close to 50% of sound quality that you get from HE1000SE, I own both, and SE beats it in everything bass, mids, highs, sound stage and everything. The SE is really dynamic and I own and owned alot planars, it beats all my headphones in my inventory list except stax 007 mk2 late 2017. but make no mistake the SE has better and more bass and more detailed mids and highs than 007 mk2 but there is something in 007 that is dam magical

All that being said, I like Jade 2, it compares with my stax l300LE using l700 pads which is more full and has more bass than jade 2. To me the L300 LE with l700 sounds better than L700 as the L700 was a bit aggressive in the highs, while L300LE is perfect and never harsh as L700 can be metallic or piercing sounding with some songs. My l300 LE has more details as well than my 007 mk2 and Jade 2, its a real safe buy and easy to drive. Before upgrading my l300LE pads to l700 pads I preferred Jade 2 over l300LE

I do not know bout Shangri La JR where it would fit but let me tell u the HE1000SE is dam hard to beat

Anyway here is a list of my fav headphones based on preference:
1- Stax 007 mk2 late 2017 even its not the best in anything particular but it is perfect for me
2- Hifiman HE1000SE
3- Audeze MX4
4- L300 LE and Jade 2 which slight preference to L300LE
5- Empyrean was great but lacking in detail, if it had more detail it would be number 2

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #433 of 569
Really appreciate your perspective. Have you tried lcd4/z

I currently own the LCD4Z.
One of my favorite headphones. It is way better than the Abyss Phi.

Attachments

• 20190416_194733.jpg
    20190416_194733.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #434 of 569
Apr 27, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #435 of 569
Yes, the 4Z is not balance. And that's why I even like it more!! I have too many balance headphones. It gets boring after awhile

Have 1 boring balance headphone. And the rest should be wild animal's!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back