HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"
Mar 24, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #1,276 of 1,984
I see. So you don`t own it anymore and have never used it as a USB-C Dac?
Correct , soundwise it was great . Also iem/headphone matching is important.

Mar 24, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #1,279 of 1,984
Wait, what? You’ve offloaded the R2R2000s - both of them? Why? You were always such a strong advocate.
The r2r really stands out on certain styles of music. On other styles its great but other daps can equal the r2rs sound. Vocals , instrument , jazz , classical , Indie the r2r does these the best. Synths , Rock , Metal , punk other daps can equal it. If ones goal is top sound the r2r is in the top list of daps. In my case now at home Im using a planar headphone so I have the Cayin N8 and sometimes Ill use the Romi 5 watt portable amp. On the go Im using four Cowon daps. Im not using these cause they sound better but more cause they do many things well.

Mar 24, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #1,280 of 1,984
Can I ask you some more? Does it charge while being used as a USB DAC?
It does but it requires quite a lot of power. If i use it as dac from my LPGT for instance, the LPGT will not be able to power it so the DAC function may not work very long. It is indeed annoying that there is no way to prevent it to use power when it works as DAC. That said from a laptop it should charge it fine while working as DAC.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #1,281 of 1,984
The r2r really stands out on certain styles of music. On other styles its great but other daps can equal the r2rs sound. Vocals , instrument , jazz , classical , Indie the r2r does these the best. Synths , Rock , Metal , punk other daps can equal it. If ones goal is top sound the r2r is in the top list of daps. In my case now at home Im using a planar headphone so I have the Cayin N8 and sometimes Ill use the Romi 5 watt portable amp. On the go Im using four Cowon daps. Im not using these cause they sound better but more cause they do many things well.
I see your point, not sure I would have offloaded both. There’s enough music in my collection that meets that criteria to justify the R2R2000.
I too have a Cowon dap (the Plenue 1), primarily because a) its a Burr-Brown and b) because it is one of the best implementations of dsp in a dap. The battery life has fallen away, but hooked into power and outputting into a head-amp, its worth keeping. If the Hifiman doesn’t do it for you with rock, metal etc, not sure that the Cowon would be either...mellifluous yes, edgy no.
I tend to keep daps and headphones/iems for their ability/capability, only offloading things that fail to meet a need. I have a Sony WM1A for long plane flights, the Plenue for reasons advanced, the R2R2000 for that lovely analogue sound, Shanling M0 fot its smallness etc. Others like the AKs, ibassos and fiios have been and gone because, well, they are a dime a dozen.

To me the BB 1700 series of dac chips are special enough that you’ll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands...
Always appreciate your thoughts on things.

Mar 25, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #1,282 of 1,984
I am holding off buying the R2R2000 in anticipation of the HM1000. The thought of relying on an app to control the player concerns me though. If the app updates do not keep pace with the operating system (iOS/Android) updates, then there could be compatibility issues that render the player unusable.

Mar 25, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #1,283 of 1,984
Thanks! Good to know! Interesting the Hifiman support was not able to tell me!
Hi there, yes there is a setting in the options to enable the volume to work when the screen is off up to certain volume, not all the way so you dont accidentally max the volume in your pocket and harm your hearing. There is also a setting that disables the volume control always when the screen is off to prevent accidental volume changes in your pocket.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Mar 25, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #1,284 of 1,984
Hi there, yes there is a setting in the options to enable the volume to work when the screen is off up to certain volume, not all the way so you dont accidentally max the volume in your pocket and harm your hearing. There is also a setting that disables the volume control always when the screen is off to prevent accidental volume changes in your pocket.

Thank you! It’s great to have somebody from your team in this thread!

Can`t you just pleeease give us a tiny update on this player? :)
As you can see, me and many others here are really inteterested in Hifimans latest concept (I love the idea of a super small device that has the sound of a big DAP and can be controlled by my phone!), only being unsure about its future still prevents me from buying it.

- Will there finally be firmware updates? Will you keep on supporting R2R2000 the next years?
- Are you really not planning to add more BT codecs to the "BT streaming device"?
- Will the Hifiman app finally leave its beta status and are you planning to let it work with more streaming services and maybe offline content?
- Why did the HM1000 disappear so suddenly and will it come back?

Giving us a little hope and infos here would be great promotion for this player and your company! :)

Thank you!

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #1,285 of 1,984
Cool, just found and bought the red one used for a really good price on Mercari!
Now I can try it more in detail and see if it can replace my other sources! :)

Mar 30, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #1,286 of 1,984
I tend to keep daps and headphones/iems for their ability/capability, only offloading things that fail to meet a need. I have a Sony WM1A for long plane flights, the Plenue for reasons advanced, the R2R2000 for that lovely analogue sound, Shanling M0 fot its smallness etc.

Well, this opinion is great but only works if you have enough $$$ :L3000::beerchug:

Mar 30, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #1,288 of 1,984
I've sold mine R2R2000 only because I've moved from iems with BA to iems with DD. And DAP has too little power to drive DD iems. I think the Red one is the best DAP around 1k$ SQwise, and only UI prevent me to state this DAP as the best all-round DAP.

Mar 30, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #1,289 of 1,984
I've sold mine R2R2000 only because I've moved from iems with BA to iems with DD. And DAP has too little power to drive DD iems. I think the Red one is the best DAP around 1k$ SQwise, and only UI prevent me to state this DAP as the best all-round DAP.

Curios, which dynamic driver IEM are you using where you find R2R2k not having enough juice to drive it? Assuming even high gain balanced output wasn't enough?

Mar 30, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #1,290 of 1,984
On this thread i’m not sure that’s an issue...

in my case, i’m old enough and gray enough that most life debts are behind me....

Haha...well, grey hair is slowly increasing (I am 42) and I am really into this thread and player - but still I can`t (or maybe don`t want?) to afford more than 1-3 sources! :) Anyway, it`s great if you can and have most life debts behind you! Hope I can do the same in 20 years! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back